HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
missing NTLDR =[ (Read 9236 times)
Dirge
Ex Member

missing NTLDR =[
Oct 2nd, 2001 at 7:15am

I decided to re-partition my HD today and used the Start up Boot Disk I down loaded off the "Doc's FDISK Guide To Partition a Hard Drive".

I already had my computer running under Win2k and as soon as it tried to boot off the floppy it gave me an error something like this: NTLDR Missing press enter   

I assume the Win98 bootdisk is incompatible with the NT kernal... So how can I FDISK my HD?

Any help would be appreciated,
thx

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: missing NTLDR =[
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2001 at 4:55pm

you x-ferred the files to a floppy?

you put the floppy disk in the floppy drive & restarted your PC?

when booting from the floppy, the files on the floppy wouldn't even know about the OS'es on your hard drives, so it shouldn't care about nt loader.

nt loader is usually on your active partition.

i can't image how you got that message.

the w2k disc is botable. you could always boot up with that in your cdrom & repartition with the utilities on that cd-rom (altho I don't do it that way).

IP Logged

Rene
N00b

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2002 at 11:27pm

He is getting this error because they tried to make a bootable floppy within W2K by either doing a "format a: /s" or doing a "sys" to the floppy.

He needs to use a regular bootable MS-DOS disk and not try and make a bootable disk from within W2K.

Cheers,
Rene

IP Logged

Sergio
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2002 at 10:11pm

I was having this same problem.

IP Logged

CorlD
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2002 at 1:36pm

I'm using W2K Pro, and Norton SystemWorks 2002 Pro Edition.

Last year I spent two weeks reinstalling Win 98 three times, leaving me frustrated and shaken. Then I heard about W2K and Ghost, I wanted to be fearless again.

I tried to create a Ghost Boot disk with Norton Boot Disk Wizard, but the PC-DOS would not read the logical partitions on my two hard drives created by PartitionMagic 7.0. I noticed Rads solution and downloaded the Bootflpy.zip, formatted a fresh diskette in W2K, unzipped it and copied COMMAND.COM, IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and GhostPE.exe all to the root level of the diskette.

But when I restarted with the diskette in drive A the message, "Missing NTLDR" displays, but copying NTLDR to the diskette doesn't help.

I contacted Rad, who redirected me to this thread. This time I got the error message "Non-System Disk, Remove and Press Any Key." I used preformatted IBM disks used with Win 98, thinking these would be MS-DOS based, but no luck.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated, as I still want to computer fearlessly.

Thanks in advance,

Corl

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2002 at 3:54pm

Try the Symantec online sppt forums for Ghost, which you can find here: http://servicenews.symantec.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?group=symantec.support.networ....

IP Logged

CorlD
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2002 at 4:35pm

Thanks for the lead Rad. It looks like they might have responded to such an issue in the past, but they cleared it off their web site and all that is left is the title. Oh well. I just sent them my question fresh. When I get a solution, hopefully, I'll post it back here.

Corl

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2002 at 1:39am

I'm interested to hear what they have to say.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print