HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GHOST 2002 Explorer (Read 8073 times)
jimshu1
Radmeister

GHOST 2002 Explorer
Dec 31st, 2001 at 10:48am

Angry I've run GHOST for over a year and loved the 2001 version. Two weeks ago I bought the 2002 GHOST consumer version. Having to enter the license number to restore an image was a disappointment, but I accepted it.

NOW I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE TO USE 2002 GHOST EXPLORER FOR THE FIRST TIME. IT STARTED UP THE WINDOWS INSTALLER AND PROMPTED ME FOR MY GHOST INSTALLATION CD??? I INSERTED THE CD AND IT APPEARED TO LOAD SOMETHING AND THEN GHOST EXPLORER CAME UP. IT ALSO CREATED A NEW FOLDER AND SHORTCUT TO GHOST EXPLORER IN MY START|PROGRAMS FOLDER!!!

I THOUGHT THAT OK, MY ORIGINAL INSTALLATION WASN'T GOOD.

I HAVE NOW USED EXPLORER A SECOND TIME. AND IT WANTED MY CD AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! IT INSTALLED THE FOLDER AND SHORTCUT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!  WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON???????????

IF THIS IS BY DESIGN I'M GOING TO BLAST NORTON GHOST IN EVERY FORUM & NEWSGROUP I'M ACTIVE IN.

I SURE HOPE THIS IS A GLITCH.  I'M NOT GOING TO LET A PROGRAM INSTALL SOMETHING NEW, AND DEMAND A CD, EVERYTIME I WANT TO USE A BASIC FEATURE!!!!

Is this normal for Ghost 2002?  Thanks for any replies!

-Windows XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2 b2600 w/all updates&&-ASUS CUSL2&&-PIII 1000EB FC-PGA2&&-DVD Drive: TOSHIBA 16X MODEL SD-M1712&&-CDRW: ASUS CRW-4816A

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: GHOST 2002 Explorer
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2001 at 6:12pm

I don't like having to enter the serial # either. In fact, I've gone back to using v2001, cuz having to enter the serial # is one more place where something can go wrong.

And you don't need v2002 unless you use NTFS with WinXP (NTFS v5.1).

I don't know what they're thinking.

I wish somebody would make an nice, simple, freeware, open source imaging program.

IP Logged

jimshu1
Radmeister

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2002 at 11:54am

I found the solution.  On both systems that I installed Ghost 2002 Explorer on, I had to run setup.exe and repair the installation.  Solution: install and then repair the installation!!!

-Windows XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2 b2600 w/all updates&&-ASUS CUSL2&&-PIII 1000EB FC-PGA2&&-DVD Drive: TOSHIBA 16X MODEL SD-M1712&&-CDRW: ASUS CRW-4816A

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2002 at 2:18pm

Repair?

Are you saying the initial install was bad? Or that you need to 'repair' a valid install?

IP Logged

jimshu1
Radmeister

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2002 at 12:11am

My initial installations of the 2002 Ghost Explorer program on two separate systems went without a hitch, but both needed repaired after a re-boot or two.  The error(?) was that Ghost Explorer demanded the installation CD in order to open.

I had thought that this may had been by design for piracy protection, and I was ticked off.

I'm not sure if I have really fixed this.  Would someone who has 2002 Ghost Explorer pls reply that they can or cannot open it without having to insert their installation CD.

UndecidedThanks.

IP Logged

KiNeL
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2002 at 3:12am

I happened on this site and forum through a link to the revised Ghost guide.

I've been using Ghost from it's earliest days when it was owned by Binary Research and IMHO it's a wonderful programme which has saved my life (and others) countless times. The knowledge that I could (and do !) screw around with anything anytime with impunity truly liberated my use of computers. It should be mandatory for all PC users to have and use it !

Anyhow, I digress; my specific point is about Ghost explorer and jimshu1's experience.

I use both Ghost 2002 and Ghost Explorer 2002 and have never had any problems whatsoever with either. I didn't install either from the CD though but just copied Ghostpe.exe and Ghostexp.exe to a convenient location and associated the images with Ghost Explorer, that's it. It has always puzzled me as to why the full Ghost installation is 30Mb or so when essentially all you need are the these two .exe's which are little more than 1.5Mb in total !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2002 at 4:44am

That has puzzled me too.

"with impunity" .. I like that description .. it's a good way of putting it. I may have to tweak the guide to include that phrase. Smiley

Rad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print