Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imaging and Restoring Drive with Two Partitions? (Read 5623 times)
jimshu1
Radmeister

Imaging and Restoring Drive with Two Partitions?
Jan 3rd, 2002 at 12:20am

Roll Eyes Given a 20 Gb hard drive with a 6 Gb (1 Gb data written) and a 14 Gb (4 Gb data written) partition, and a Ghost image of the complete drive, what can I expect when restoring the drive image to:

1. The identical drive with the same partitions?

2. The identical drive with a 10 Gb and a 10 Gb partition?

3. A 8 Gb drive with a 2 Gb and a 6 Gb partition?

Thanks for any replies!

-Windows XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2 b2600 w/all updates&&-ASUS CUSL2&&-PIII 1000EB FC-PGA2&&-DVD Drive: TOSHIBA 16X MODEL SD-M1712&&-CDRW: ASUS CRW-4816A

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Imaging and Restoring Drive with Two Partition
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2002 at 2:46am

you should (things don't always work they way they should) be able to do all 3, cuz the *data* in the partitions doesn't exceed the size of any partitions.

identical to identical is easy. from there it gets more risky.

the bottom line is you have to try to be sure.

IP Logged

jimshu1
Radmeister

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2002 at 7:42am

So normally, if everything goes OK, Ghost does not (cannot?) change the partition size already established on a drive?

I'm also assuming that if the partitions are C: and D:, the original data from C: goes to C: and the same for D:?

Thanks for your time!

-Windows XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2 b2600 w/all updates&&-ASUS CUSL2&&-PIII 1000EB FC-PGA2&&-DVD Drive: TOSHIBA 16X MODEL SD-M1712&&-CDRW: ASUS CRW-4816A

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2002 at 1:14pm

I'm not sure about restoring a *disk* image, but you could image & restore individual *partitions*, long as the data on the source partition does not exceed the size of the destination partition.

The knowledge base will give you an idea of what is & isn't possible:

http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/e44a397a948bb43e85256952006d83d1?...

Or their forums for specific questions:

http://servicenews.symantec.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?group=symantec.support.networ...

I don't want to tell you something that isn't correct, cuz I misunderstand your question. I have never imaged an entire disk. I always image individual partitions. It sound like you want to do something for which I have no experience.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print