Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2002 Clone - With NT Server (Read 7187 times)
Judg3
N00b

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Ghost 2002 Clone - With NT Server
Jan 17th, 2002 at 6:14am

One of my clients has found to have bad blocks on their server's hard disk and therefore I would like to "clone" the servers entire drive to a new hard disk temporally connected as a slave drive.

Once the clone is done, then replace the existing faulty drive with the new cloned drive.

The original (faulty) drive has FAT and NTFS partitions and the new drive will probably come unformatted as standard.

If anyone has any information whether Ghost 2002 can achieve this (or do I need enterprise?) and any other things I should be aware of I would be grateful to know.

Thanks

Stephen

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost 2002 Clone - With NT Server
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2002 at 4:19pm

Hola.

Ghost may give you problems with bad sectors. I had to do this once, and I think I first had to scan the disk (Norton Disk Doctor) and identify the bad sectors.

Or you might be able to tell it to ignore the bad sectors .. I forget now.

Other than that you shosuld have no problems with the imaging. Ghost will not image *to* (destination) NTFS partitions.

You can do either the whole disk at once, or one partition at a time. If you do each partition separately, you'll first need to partition the destination drive.

Enterprise is for imaging to NTFS partitions over a network.

IP Logged

Judg3
N00b

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2002 at 4:33am

Thanks for the info.

So the fact that most websites about Ghost 2002 lists the supported OS's as Windows NT Workstation only will not cause me a problem getting Ghost running on NT Server?

The destination drive will be black (unformatted) will I need to format the destination drive first as FAT16 or FAT32? Or will the clone create the relivent partions for me?

Also do you know if the destination drive will be fully bootable after the clone has been done or will I need to set partions active?

Finally, are there any issues rellated to using SCSI drives, I will be cloneing a 9Gb to a 30Gb. I assume I will need to resize the partition to use the drive fully or can it extend the second partion to the full disk size?

Again, many thanks for any advice you can give me before committing to this software.

(Shouldn't symantec have this facility on their web site, "They should, but they don't!")

Stephen

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2002 at 2:02pm

I've never used NT Server, and I'm reluctant to comment on things for which I have no experience.

As I understand it, Ghost does not know nor care which particular O/S you have installed. It only know files & a file system.

So, as I understand, it *should* work. But you don't have to play with PCs for very long to know that things don't always work the way they should.

Can it hurt to try?

Ghost claims that it will format the destination drive to the same formatting of the source .. but I always format my new drives myself, first, before restoring an image.

You will have to (manually) make the new, destination partition active.

Ghost will stretch to make a smaller source drive when restored to a larger destination drive.

Symantec does have this. It posted here:

http://servicenews.symantec.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?group=symantec.support.networ...

Check it out.

IP Logged

Judg3
N00b

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2002 at 4:42am

Many thanks for your help!

Just to let you know, I sucessfully used Ghost 2002 to clone a SCSI hard disk with Small Business Server 4.5 on it.

I installed Ghost (From a system works 2002 cd) on to a Windows 98 terminal and used the floppy disk created to create the clone on the server.

It was quick (well quick enough for me) and I had no problems switching the slave hard disk (ID 6) over to be the master (ID 0). I didn't even need to do anything with partitions to make it boot.

I was very impressed when it offered me the option to re-size the destination partitions. It originally prompted to enlarge both the system and data partitions evenly but I very easily changed it to enlarge the data partition only to the full capacity of the disk.

I think this forum is great, all the best.

Steve

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2002 at 5:11pm

Interesting info. Thx for the follow-up, Steve.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print