Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 2002 Problems (Read 5954 times)
Jen
Ex Member

Norton Ghost 2002 Problems
Jan 30th, 2002 at 1:07pm

Hello,

I have recently purchased Norton Ghost 2002 to back up data on my hard disk and am experiencing problems. I am hoping someone can help me out.

* The CRC check seems to fail only when I perform an integrity check of the image I've just created (CRC file size is 52 bytes when performing integrity check). When I don't perform this check, the CRC check passes (CRC file size is 634 KB when not performing integrity check).

I included the following switches while creating the bootdisk:

-fcr=e:\test.crc -split=200

* When I attempt to create a MS-DOS bootdisk, the wizard reports that it cannot find Msdos.sys, although I have checked and this file does exist in the location I specified. I followed the correct procedure to accomplish this as instructed in the Ghost manual, but it still doesn't work. I have to enter the command prompt, format the disk and use the SYS command from there to get the boot wizard to use MS-DOS. I receive the "cannot find Msdos.sys" error when I format and copy the system files from the Windows 98 format utility.

* Also, when creating a bootdisk, do I have to include the Himem.sys file to it?

Maybe I'm doing this wrong as I am new to this software, and if so, can someone instruct me how do create an image and verify it properly.

Many thanks,
Jen

P.S. When performing an integrity check on an image, is it the same as using the using the "action=dverify" switch?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Norton Ghost 2002 Problems
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2002 at 1:54pm

I am clueless on your first point. If it passes when you don't perfrom the check, then I would go that route. Perhaps the boys at Symantec can offer more help:

http://servicenews.symantec.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?group=symantec.support.networ...

I do not include himem. My theory is 'less is better' .. less things to interfere. I posted a copy of the boot disk I use here:

http://radified.com/Files/

It's labeled 'system files only'

You're not the first to have probs w/ the boot disk that Ghost creates .. which is why I don't use it.

IP Logged

Jen
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2002 at 4:28pm

Hi,

Thanks for the info. So, do you simply use the system files you posted the link for and add the ghost.exe file or do you add additional files?

Ta,
Jen

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2002 at 10:23pm

No other files. I just add ghostpe.exe

The Ghost boot dsik does not use MS-DOS> Rather it uses a DOS version from IBM .. that people (myself included) seem to be having probs with. The 'system files only' disk that i posted uses MS-DOS, and contains the bare-minimum files necessary to create/restore an image.

Less stuff to interfere with the imaging process.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print