Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2002 Ghost Explorer bugs with W2K & NTFS (Read 9753 times)
blueiceking
N00b

2002 Ghost Explorer bugs with W2K & NTFS
Feb 28th, 2002 at 2:15pm

Angry  I've just installed System Works 2002 perfessional and was excitced to get a complete image of my Windows 2000 NFTS system.  The system meets all the requirements needed to perform the backup to a CDR/W drive.  The drive is on the support list.  The Ghost ver 7.xxx worked fine and stamped out 4 cds.  To be safe, I ran the image verify, and it report all was well.  I rebooted, lanched Ghost Explorer to see what it looked like (newbee).  I had problems, when to the website, found issues about Ghost Explorer and mult-CDR's.  The suggestion didn't work.  So off the Symantec support.  Days and much frustration, I still can't use explorer.  Aint noway I'm going try to restore the entire OS, until I can test some folders and file restores. The hard drive is one partition.  I've sent Symantec as much information as I can, they indicated that I must be crazy, that they can create images to mult-cd's with W2K NSFTs, and Ghost explore works fine.  Has anyone else tested this.  Thanks for feedback.

FYI - I have TakeTwo working from ROXIO, but this is a dead product, no plans to work on XP.  That only leaves, Ghost, NTI, and DriveImage for home consumers to get complete system images.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: 2002 Ghost Explorer bugs with W2K & NTFS
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2002 at 2:02pm

what problems?

you have links to these probs?

i don't image to cd, nor have i ever used ghost explorer, so i'm not going to be much help.

IP Logged

blueiceking
N00b

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2002 at 4:50pm

Here is my link regarding useing Ghostpe to create CD's and trying to use Ghost Explore to view images that spanned multiple CD's.  I tagged on the first person that had the problem.  There are more postings indicating a problem with NTFS and Ghost Explorer.  Read on.... Thanks for any help, or pull you may have.

http://servicenews.symantec.com/cgi-bin/displayArticle.cgi?product=ghost&mini_ve...

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2002 at 10:29pm

Seems like the problems involves:

1. wxp
2. spanned cdr images
3. from ntfs partitions

correct?

since i don't burn my images or use ntfs for my o/s partitiions (yet), and have never used ghost explorer .. i'm not going to be very much help. i'm always reluctant to offer advice on subjects for which i have no practical experience.

first thing i would do is use ms-dos, instead of pc-dos. but it seems like you've tried that. there are other options listed at your link that sound reasonable. if they don't wotk, i have no clue.

why not purchase a second hard drive to receive/store your images? they are so cheap these days .. and you get such big drives. i just installed an 80-gigger for a friend .. think he paid $149 .. and that was a fast, 7200rpm IBM 120GXP. You can find much cheaper.

IP Logged

blueiceking
N00b

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2002 at 9:55am

No, the OS is W2K, not WXP, the rest is correct.  Yes I've tried all items they've listed, MS-DOS, and restoring all the images back to the harddrive to attempt the get Exlporer to work.  Yes, I know the second hard drive is the best solution.  It just burns me that a vendor makes very clear statments that something works on their Web, or other documents, and the cusomters find out otherwise.  As for the $149, I have my eye on an HP scanner.  I try to run my home pc hobbies like a business.  First it was to buy Norton System works, then a scanner.  At present I have enough hard drive space to keep me happy.  I hope to get more into still and video photography as the components are dropping in price.  I'm at the crawling stage for now.  Limited bugdet and time.  Thanks for your feedback.  FYI - it was your site that cleared up the issue how to created a bootable CD.  The Ghost document is not too clear on this, in fact misleading by the term they use.   I'm use to writing support documents that leave no room for questions.  Yours are to best I've ever seen.  Cudos to you for all of it.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2002 at 10:28am

Well, thank you kindly.

I've found writing guides to be a tricky business, requiring balance between too little & too much info.

Everyone is different, with different levels of expertise. When in doubt, I try to err on the side of 'too much detail,' feeling that the more-experienced user can simply blow thru what they don't need/want to know.

Unfortunately, product misrepresentations seem to be the norm these days.

$149 is for a top-shelf solution. You really only need a small puppy for image storage .. which you can pick up at any 'For Sale' forum for a song.

IP Logged

blueiceking
N00b

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2002 at 10:38am

I guess I will have to do some
creative financing

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2002 at 11:34pm

Test reply. Seems to work okay, Jim.

IP Logged

blueiceking
N00b

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2002 at 3:29am

Update on bug:

WXP and W2K users are having this problem regarding NTFS images to mult-cds when using Ghost Explorer. Symantec has finally admitted this is a problem.  I will update as I'm fed more info.

Here is a link to register to Symantic technical bullentins for various products.

www.symantec.com/techsupp/bulletin/index.html

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print