Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bad blocks encountered on read. (Read 11236 times)
xavier
N00b

Slainte!

The New Jersey Shore

Bad blocks encountered on read.
Mar 1st, 2002 at 11:16am

I'm a little over my head here so I would appreciate any help I can get.
Running XP Home with Ghost 2002 on a 2 SCSI HD,FAT32 system. Creating a backup image of primary HD to a Partition on 2nd HD. I've done this sucessfully many times. Yesterday, for the first time, I got this pop-up during the copy:"Bad blocks(s) encountered on read:0x1,drive:128,64 sectors starting from absolute sector 1611837." It then asked if I wanted to continue and ignore subsequent bad blocks.I said yes and continued with the process. After it was completed I ran a check of the image and Ghost said it was verified.
So-Do these "bad blocks"  mean my image was corrupted? Is there anything I can do to repair the "bad blocks"?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Bad blocks encountered on read.
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2002 at 1:56pm

yeah, I've had that happen .. could be due to head crash (best case), or (worst case) your drive is dying. I used Norton Utilities disk doctor to scan & mark off all the bad sectors & then restored a vaild image created before when there were no problems.

if the drive is dying, you will continue to get more such problems. If it was a head crash (you kicked the computer while that heads were reading/writing) you should see any more problems.

IP Logged

xavier
N00b

Slainte!

The New Jersey Shore

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2002 at 11:02am

Thanks for the reply. I sure hope this IBM 9GB HD is not too sick. It's only 4 years old, but I guess nothing is forever!  I ran XPs new "Check Disk" (was scandisk) on the drive and it repaired some bad sectors.  I then tried another image backup and it ran uninterupted this time. Hopefully, that's the end of it.
On another note entirely, your Ghost Guide was a great help to me learning to use Ghost. I only had one problem for a while. I could not get past that 2GB limit while my boot floppy used IBM-DOS. Once I remade the Boot Floppy using MS-DOS  I was able to split the image.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2002 at 7:49pm

Glad you got it to work.

When scandisk repaired sectors (tells the system not to use them) did it note the affected file(s)? Usually that file will be bad. Hopefully it is not one you use/need. Usually you can replace the file, if it's from the O/S (get it from a friend who has the same O/S).

Four years is getting kinda old. I wouldn't be surprised if it's going. Keep an eye on it. If you have to repair sectors again, get a new drive asap. You have the image stored on a non-affected drive?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print