HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
@#$%&*** Password (Read 8004 times)
Richard
Ex Member

@#$%&*** Password
Mar 12th, 2002 at 5:55pm

Why do we need a password?  I keep forgetting mine.   A user ID so we know who we are talking to is reasonable but who do you want to keep out?  I guess this is a general gripe that applies to all sorts of internet sites.  Not trying to be a wise guy but why would anyone care if someone logged on and looked over the site and only had to give his name/alias?
Sorry, its my nature to question authority.  At least I do it quietly now that I am becoming a geezer.
Richard

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: @#$%&*** Password
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2002 at 6:09pm

A few weeks ago I disabled the req'ment to register b4 you can post messages. I'm new to this bulletin board software, and the req'ment you reference is part of the *default* settings. I installed the software as a learning exercise, not thinking that anyone would actually use the forum. Now that there's some traffic, I'm having to learn how to configure the board.

So you should be able to post and do whatever you like without registering or logging in. Some forums attract troublemakers, and the req'ment you reference is designed to keep them out. But this forum doesn't generate enuf traffic to attract those types. I'd be honored if a 'troll' felt this forum worth his effort. You're the biggest troublemaker I have right now. Smiley

If you're still having trouble, lemme know, and see what I can do.

IP Logged

Richard
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2002 at 10:50pm

I don't have trouble, other than getting senile (I think!)  It has always puzzled me why sites with nothing valuable to conceal/protect require password login.  And there are the security nazis that tell us to make our passwords complicated, hard to guess, a combination of lett ers, symbols upper and lower case, change them frequently, and never write tham down.  Damn. 

I really like your site.  The CD ripping info and the  disk partition info have really helped me out.  Thanks for the effort of doing all this.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2002 at 8:15am

For the other sites that you might visit, Windows will/should 'remember' your passwords for you. For example, when I visit the r3mix forums:

http://66.96.216.160/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=d&action=display&num=1014897541&start...

I do not have to re-logon, or enter my password again. For the YaBB forum (this one), there is a default settings of being logged in for '350 minutes' .. that you can change to 'always' stay logged in.

If you select 'always' (like I do), you'll never have to enter your user name & passward again. When you visit the forum, it will greet you and say, 'Welcome, Richard'.

.. or at least that way it's _supposed_ to work.

I do all the techno research for *myself*. Afterwards I usually end up trading a few emails with less-techie friends. That's where the guides come from. I can usually copy-n-paste the contents of emails into a web page and post it on the net .. Presto! .. new Rad guide (just add water).

This way, I don't have to re-generate emails over & over (or each friend). I can simply send them a link. I didn't know so many people would find them as well.

Then I get mail from ppl who know more than me, and they help me tweak it so that it becomes more accurate & thorough.

IP Logged

alilip
Technoluster

I hate XP but love YaBB
1G - SP1.1

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2002 at 5:39pm

Hallo Richard,
why don't you try a password system
where you have to remember very little.
Like : first 3 digests  same as first 3 digests of servername
        than your/other birthdaydate
        finally first 3 digest of userid.
When you keep to such a  system of password construction for all your different accounts and userids there is no need to
remember.
Just to reconstruct the password any time you need it.
The servernames I dont remember - bookmarks do that
for me.
Due to the alway rising numbers of different Userids
I name the id in the bookmark title and thats it. Smiley
When you have >10 anonymous e-mailaccounts with
>10 different userids and >10 different password you
become insane trying  to remember them all.
Good luck
PS: Never change birthdaydates Smiley otherwise  Angry
PPS:I hate the admins that require passwords of less than 7
     digets. Grin

IP Logged

jimbo1
N00b

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Ct.

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2002 at 5:37am

Richard, send me $25 and your password and if you forget it I will be happy to send it to you. This is what friends are for. Jimbo1

jimbo1

IP Logged

Lucidic
Gnarly

Time lost can never be
restored.

TEXAS

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2002 at 4:50am

I will do it for 15$

hehehehe

[shadow=black,left,300]peace Grin&&Lucidic&&[/shadow]