Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost Is Spooking Me.. (Read 5050 times)
kx

Ghost Is Spooking Me..
Mar 14th, 2002 at 1:41pm

Hi everyone,

I have acquired Norton Ghost 2002 to use on my Windows XP System, equipped with two 40GB HDD's.

In the Ghost manual - and elsewhere in the tutorial on this subject by radified - it is clearly stated that one should not reboot the PC directly after cloning, unless the cloned drive is removed first.

My question is: does this procedure only hold good for the first time the PC is rebooted after the cloning process is completed? In other words, if the PC has been rebooted this once with the cloned drive removed, is it OK to then re-install the cloned drive and reboot the PC for the second time, and subsequenly therafter, without any ill effect?

Very much looking forward to your response.

Cheers  Grin

kx

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost Is Spooking Me..
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2002 at 2:03pm

Hehe .. spooking me .. clever.

I have never cloned anything, so I can't say. I don't see what's the diff between restoring an image & cloning. Altho, I notice that, when you restore an image, it says. "cloning complete"

If it says you should disconnect, I'd disconnect. I received mail from a few ppl who claim to have had this prob (corrupted registry, dead system), while others say 'no problem'. Perhaps it depends upon whether you have NT loader installed (in the boot sequence between the various registries).

For something that serious, I'd ask the boys at Symantec:

http://servicenews.symantec.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?group=symantec.support.networ...

IP Logged

kx

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2002 at 2:46pm

Thanx Radmin, i will vist that Symantec link for more info. The saying goes "Once bitten, twice shy" and  this time around i was going to make sure before i just jump straight into it. Yeah, you guessed it- i hosed two HDD's after my first disk cloning effort, when i failed to remove the cloned disc before i re-booted. There's nothing like a few weeks of hard labour to restore a system to its original state to sober one up, eh? This time i am making doubly sure.

BTW- i read the Rad tutorial (and the Ghost manual) on disk imaging, but after trying it several times, i am yet to succeed. I would prefer to image rather than clone. The problem is that when i boot DOS into Ghost (or vise versa, hehe) and work through the menu option to disk > image, Ghost does not "see" any HDD? Both my HDD's drives are shown in the source option, though. At the image destination only the floppy drive is visible.. Is this because both of my HDD's have been formatted in NTFS? Both are indentical in size i.e. 40GB too.

Any advice is welcome.

Ciao!

kX

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2002 at 3:22pm

read the bottom of this page:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_caveat.htm