Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Updating guides with recent experiences? (Read 4157 times)
Citizen_Kang
Radmeister

Updating guides with recent experiences?
Apr 1st, 2002 at 9:39pm

Hey Rad,

How are things.

I dropped by just after you had had some fun installing the new HDDs and getting things to work.  I'm curious as to what your problems were during your upgrading and if you will be updating (once you finish getting all those CDs ripped) docs FDISK etc. etc. to reflect your recent experiences/adventures .

Cheers, CK

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Updating guides with recent experiences?
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2002 at 11:33pm

Thx for reminding me. Yeah, I'm almost done ripping & encoding. Bored out of mind after 500+ CDs. It will be a looong time b4 I buy another...

Yeah, my experiences were with partitioning & formatting a 120GB drive. In FDISK, all the characters beginning with the 120GB drive shift one space to the right. If you look closely, all the data is there, but you have to decrypt it, so to speak. At first, it looks like something is very wrong. But it works, long as you use the version of FDISK that sppts drives larger than 64GB (see my 'Files' page).

Then I had that problem with W2K assigning drive letters to drive at SCSI ID 2 before SCSI ID 0. Not supposed to do that, and I still don't know wh it did. But it screwed up W2K after I restored the image. After clean install, it assigned drive letters the way it should. Go figure. I am leary about installing new drives between O/S installs now.

There is also a problem with SCSI hard drives with WXP. If you cruise to Storagereview.com forums you can read about it in ~100-post thread. I updated SCSI guide already.

Also have 1st-hand info on installing & using Tekram U3W SCSI controller. Unlike the U2W, which I had b4, the U3W will not be detected automatically during W2K install. You need to 'Press F6' & load driveres from floppy .. otherwise you will see no SCSI drives to install O/S to. I will probably post the contents of this floppy on my 'Files' page, cuz it's a somewhat of a hassle to make.

Another surprising thing is that I'm not able to 'see' my NTFS partition created with WXP, when using W2K. Seems that WXP uses NTFS v5.1, whereas W2K uses NTFS v5.0. WXP can read v5.0, but W2K can't read v5.1.

Have new system running P4 1.6A @ 2138 MHz with 1.68v via the 'wire trick' Rock solid .. the most stable system I've build yet. You simply cannot crash or lock this thing. $600 perf from a $134 CPU (Newegg.com).

IP Logged

Citizen_Kang
Radmeister

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2002 at 10:27pm

Hey Rad

Thanks for the info:
  • I knew about the NTFS switch in XP.
  • Didn't know about experiencing "technically difficulties/please do not adjust your set" with >64GB Fdisk.  Looking forward to having that pleasure sometime soon -> probably going to get a WD BB1200JB.
  • I had been following that storagereview thread about anemic SCSI performance using XP.  I remeber that one of the first things that I thought of when I read Testbed3 for the first time was that it seemed strange that they would so quickly adopt XP (by all accounts, an immature OS - problems were bound to show up).  I would like to see how all this gets addressed and how much this would affect their desktop benchmarks (if there is a legitimate flaw in their setup).  I know (from reading your pages) your a big proponet of SCSI, and your feelings on a SCSI boot drive.  Many of the other SR community members obviously feel the same way and cast their doubts about how realistic it is to think that something like the WD 1200JB could offer such near performance as a X15 or 10K III.   However, as these benchmarks currently stand, (ignoring the noise, heat etc. etc. issues, and focusing solely on the performance/price ratio) my needs, system setup, and budget can't justify a SCSI purchase.  Nonetheless, I would definitely take the time to re-evaluate this if any re-working of the drive benchmarks occurs

Cheers, CK

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2002 at 12:21pm

Yes, SCSI is far from necessary, especially if your typical PC usage profile doesn't include tasks that access the disk very frequently. The fastest drive in the universe is no good to someone who doesn't put it to good use.

From a real-world usage standpoint, I don't put much value in (synthetic) benchmarks, which are designed 'sequentially', and therefore don't take advantage of SCSI multi-tasking capabilities. From my own experience, I witnessed far greater improvements in system performance (responsiveness) than benchmarks indicated.

SCSI's biggest validator comes after using it for several weeks, and then returning to an IDE-based system. You don't realize how zippy the Porsche is until you drive the Volkswagon loaner while your car is in the shop.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print