Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
STUCK - XP NTFS GHOSTING? (Read 6698 times)
BigT
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

STUCK - XP NTFS GHOSTING?
Apr 7th, 2002 at 5:48pm

OK, I'm stuped! . . . Or stupid?  Believe it or not I am not a Ghost newbie. . . .yes, I have read Rad's great walkthrough and done some reading at Norton's site including the product manual . . . . .this should work. . .?

I have been using Ghost for a few years - thanks to the great docs at Rad's site!  Ghost has been great up till now - new problem:

I now have a new Windows XP PC that has one large 120 GB hard drive.  I have one partition of about 105GB as C drive and one partition of about 15GB as drive letter D.  Drive C is an NTFS format partition (boot).  I made my D partition FAT32 (from NTFS using Partition Magic) expressly for carrying Ghost images of my C partition.

Now that I have my new XP PC together with all drivers installed and everything working, I want to get it's image. I have tried using ghost 7.0 and 7.5 (2002) to no avail.  When I launch Ghost off the Floppy startup disk, I am able to select the C drive as an image source, but when I go to choose the DESTINATION choice, I can only choose 'A' drive, CDRW drive, and C drive - NO 'D' PARTITION IS LISTED.  Ghost is not listing both of my partitions - C & D. Help!

When I go to my Win 98 PC, I can launch Ghost and re-image and select images there between the 2 partions (C & D both FAT 32) just fine - no problems.

I have tried for nearly 2 days to get this to work on my XP PC.  ANY suggestions?  What am I doing wrong or not including? THANKS A MILLION!

IP Logged

BigT
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: STUCK - XP NTFS GHOSTING?
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2002 at 8:37pm

Angry
this is moreof an addendum to the original problem noted above - man is this going to be hard to describe:
In relation to Ghost not showing all my partitions underneath the DESTINATION menu (as Rad listed on the "caveat" page):

Within Windows XP I just created a directory ON THE C PARTITION (NTFS) called "Ghost" and placed the ghostpe.exe file into it.  When I use the boot floppy and boot to the A:\ prompt, I type C:       Then I try to go to the "Ghost" subdirectory, but it does not exist - can't be found.

So, I go back to Win XP, and move the 'Ghost' directory and ghost file execuatable to my D PARTITION (FAT32).  Now, when I go to the DOS prompt after DOS bootup disk and enter C:\Ghost, there it is!  In DOS, my Windows D partition is being labeled my "C" drive.  I confirm this because the space available under DOS of my C drive is the 15GB which exists in Windows as my D partition.  Yes, I understand DOS does not recognize my NTFS partitions. . .

My big question now is - if I tell Ghost to use my C:\Ghost directory as the DESTINATION, will it really write to my "D" partition within Windows, or will it really overwrite my boot C drive and I will lose my XP bootup. . .?  Am I just an "enter" key away from hosing my system or will this work out?

Anyone?  THANKS!  I am stuck.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2002 at 11:42pm

All that and no profane explitives of frustration .. you are to be commended. Smiley

What is your primary/logical drive config? NTFS = primary & FAT32 = extended/logical?

I have heard of problems converting NTFS to FAT32. It's not an easy thig to do. Did you shrink the partition with PM?

I don't even convert FAT32 to NTFS, which is much easier. Rather I reformat from the ground up, and build a new file system (instead of converting). The only time I might convert is if I absolutely HAD to (cuz the drive contained data that I counldn't move for some reason).

PM v7, yes?

See if you can boot with FDISK floppy & reformat the FAT32 drive with/from FDISK.

You cannot access anything on NTFS partition after booting from DOS boot flopy, cuz DOS does not sppt NTFS .. so putting a copy of ghostpe.exe on your NTFS partition is useless.

I suggest you label your drives with descriptive labels such as C_drive & D_drive to give you more info.

I believe that the reason Ghost doesn't see your NTFS drive (C) is cuz DOS doesn't sppt NTFS. That is how it works for my system.

I am pretty sure it will work how you want it to. It will NOT overwrite your NTFS cuz the creation of an image does not overwrite anything .. and since Ghost will not write images to NTFS, I think you're safe. Ghost obly overwrites when you *restore* an image.

IP Logged

alilip
Technoluster

I hate XP but love YaBB
1G - SP1.1

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2002 at 8:24pm

Sorry but I have a question regarding
doing a ghostimage of a 105GB partition.
How big will this image be and can you fit
it onto a 15GB partition ?
Assuming you have data of 50GB on the
first partition.

IP Logged

BigT
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2002 at 9:35pm

Thanks for the reply, Radminister!

A colleague in my office who is the senior desktop engineer confirmed our points that I only see the "C" "local" drive label when using Ghost because it cannot 'see' the NTFS C drive partition. 

He, as you also thought, said it is OK to go ahead and tell it to use my 'C' drive as the destination without any problem.  We'll see.  I expect to try it out this week and will definitely let you know!

Ya, I am going to give better labels to my drives as suggested.  You know, you'd think in all the documentation in the 15 hours of researching all this that Norton or Symantec would have pointed out this element of recognizing the partitions and seeing the 'd' partition as drive 'c'. . . .

Yes, my primary drive is the NTFS partition and my logical/extended is the FAT32 partition.

Someone recommneded that since I only have one physical drive right now that when I create the image of my 'c' drive, I should use the 'split' switch to create a series of say 650 MB files so I can transfer them to CDR.  Would this be any different than just telling it to burn right to CDR at the beginning?  I have always placed the single image file onto my hard disk (prefer).  With a 4GB image file before compression I am curious to see how small the file could be compressed.

Thanks - I'll keep you posted!!

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2002 at 11:45pm

al, it depends what kind of data is on the partition, but you can usually guessimate 60-70% of that for your image. i'd guess 30-35 gigs worth of images.

bt, yeah, you wanna burned to cd, cuz if the drive dies, the image dies with it. either way would work fine. personally, i'd write it to my hdd, then burn from there in windows.

IP Logged

jimbo1
N00b

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Ct.

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2002 at 9:49am

I have XP and a 100 gig drive. Instead of partitioning the 100 gig drive into different partitions, I bought an 80 gig drive, which I formatted to FAT 32 to receive and store all my GHOST images. Why screw around with just one drive? Isn't the purpose of GHOST to provide redunduncy ? If your many partitioned only drive fails, you're screwed. If it fails and you have a GHOST image, you can buy another drive, stick it in   Winkand restore everything you had before. With the cost of drives so low, what are you waiting for? Ghost has saved my ass so many times, I now have 12 copies of my ass !!!

jimbo1

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print