Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Repeated use of ghost (Read 2907 times)
Alan Murphy

Repeated use of ghost
Apr 13th, 2002 at 11:44am

I've ghosted my old OS and clean installed a fresh version to accomodate many new software programs that because of their bulk would not run smoothly if heaped on to the programs of my old OS. This may require me to switch  between the old OS image and the new one, maybe once a day. Question: Are there any wear and tear issues to worry about by restoring ghost images on a daily basis to the same drive?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Repeated use of ghost
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2002 at 3:21pm

using the word 'ghosted' as a verb is not good, cuz it does not say whether you mean that you created or restored an image, or cloned a partition or disk .. but i think i know what you'r saying.

i don't think there's any reason for concern. hard drives are designed to last many years (oops, i almost wrote 'tears' .. freudian slippage)

you could argue that anytime a disk reads or writes data that it contributes a certain amount of wear and tear .. just like defragging.

heat is a drive's biggest enemy .. physical & electrical shock are also other killers.  if you're concerned, make sure the drive is mounted in a cooler, and that your case has good ventillation .. and don't kick the case while your system is running.

may also want to try to mount the drive in the lower portion of your case .. where it's cooler (heat rises).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print