Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which external HD for my Dell laptop? (Read 5201 times)
phenarius
Dude

Which external HD for my Dell laptop?
Apr 14th, 2002 at 1:35pm

I have a new Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop with a 30GB HD.  I would like to run an external HD for backup and image storage, perhaps up to 160GB in size.  The Dell has a firewire port, and I can get a USB 2 PCMCIA card for it as well.

Question 1:  Does anyone see an advantage in one interface vs. the other?

Question 2:  I have a choice between getting a HD that is dedicated to the interface I choose, vs. getting an adapter kit that will hold a standard IDE HD and run it from that interface.  Seems to me the latter choice has the advantage of being better able to change HDs in the future, as needed, but am I overlooking some disadvantage here?

Thanks for any advice on these questions!

phenarius

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Which external HD for my Dell laptop?
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2002 at 4:23pm

if u want to use it to receive & restoe ghost images, u should check with da boys at symantec to see what the software sppts, and what they recommend.

seems that i reveived mail from a user who was using firewire adapter with firewire card (or maybe buit-in firewire?) to receive & restore images. this was a long time ago and my recollections is not clear.

i have no experience with imaging laptops.

IP Logged

phenarius
Dude

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2002 at 5:00pm

Hiya Radmin,

By "images", this time I meant pictures and videos (but more on Ghost is below).  Any thoughts on my questions now?

Shame on me, I forgot who posted this about Ghost and Firewire, but I will quote it in case it may be useful to someone:

"I use Norton Ghost and I came up with this solution: Set up a new small partition with a version of W98 on it (light version, no programs, but with Norton Ghost on it). Boot up into this light version of windows (you can use BootMagic). Then go into MS-DOS Prompt and start Norton Ghost. You will find that you will be able to back up or restore your hidden partition perfectly."

I can't vouch for the above as I haven't tried it, but it "sounds right"

phenarius

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2002 at 6:10pm

if it's only for photo images, then you don't need dos sppt. i'd get whatever is cheapest.

running ghost from a dos window (in windows) is not advisable. if you read the guide i reference the synmantec page that lists reasons why.

but if it's the only way you can create & restore images, that would be beter than nothing.

IP Logged

phenarius
Dude

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2002 at 7:38pm

Yes, I checked the Symantec site.  They say

"Ghost might not correctly save any files that change while the image process is proceeding."

But the post I referenced was using a dos window within a partition that was Not being imaged, so I don't see the problem using it in that limited fashion.  Am I missing something here?  I'd like to know, because I hope to use that technique.

phenarius

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2002 at 8:39pm

key words: 'so i don't see...'

yes, u'd think it would work fine .. but you don't have to use pc's for very long to know that things don't always work the way they should...

the laptop presents a special challenge. if i were u, i'd want to talk to someone who has successfully created and restored images with a laptop similar to ypours .. more than once .. then mimic their system/method/config much as possible.

since i have no such experience, i regret that i'll be able to provide little more than moral sppt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print