Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost Says "Disk Full" When Imaging Locally (Read 6420 times)
PGrig

Ghost Says "Disk Full" When Imaging Locally
Apr 14th, 2002 at 3:23pm

Hi--it's my 1st post here.  I'm a new Ghost user. Running Ghost 2002 under Win98.  I am trying to back my 6GB C drive (with 4.4 GB full) up to my newly installed Disk 2 (30GB), which has five partitions (made thru PartitionMagic). 

I was able to do a disk-to-disk clone to my 5GB "H" drive (logical) on Drive 2, but when I try to do an image to that same drive, using "High" compression,  Ghost copies 3469MB and comes back with a "not enough room on Drive H" msg.  It won't continue to any other partition I enter in.  I've tried this several (tedious) times.  Seems to me that if the clone works, there's no way there shud not be enuf room for the (compressed) image.

I thought it might be a problem with my Western Digital DataLifeguard formatter, so I re-did the partitions on Drive 2 through FDISK and PartitionMagic.  Still no gho. ;-)

Please, you experienced hands, what's my problem?

Thanks very much.

PaulG

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost Says "Disk Full" When Imaging Locally
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2002 at 4:28pm

i dunno.

i assume your destination drive is fat32.

recently had user write to mention problems using ghost 2002 with partitions created with partition magic. altho i've not had any problem myself, you can find his sppt case posted here:

http://servicenews.symantec.com/cgi-bin/displayArticle.cgi?group=symantec.suppor...

perhaps you might find something there that will help.

IP Logged

PaulG
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

near Boston

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2002 at 6:28pm

Yes, destination is indeed FAT32.  I notice Symantec's warning NOT to use their Boot Disk set-up procedures, but to make ur own.  I wl try that, and also ask Symantec my question. 

I wud think, tho, that if my clone procedures worked OK, this wud rule out boot disk problems....no?

Tns for ur help.
   -PaulG

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2002 at 8:33pm

yes, u wud (i like that: wud) think .. but not necessily so.

have u read about the probs with ibm's pc-dos that symantec uses with ghost? (it's in my guide)

i would be v. interested to see what happens if you wiped the entire drive clean, partitions and all, then started afresh, using fdisk.

the reason why i learned so much about ghost so fast was cuz i began my ghost adventures using hdd's that were partitioned using a proprietary partitioning ultility that came with my ibm ide hdd, called 'ontrack' .. which installed a dynamic driver overlay. caused me so many dang headaches ..

so i am inherently against using anything but fdisk from dos.

hence: http://fdisk.radified.com/

i have used pm with problem, but only when absolutely necessary.

IP Logged

PaulG
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

near Boston

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2002 at 8:07am

Dear Radperson--

Tnx for response.  By the way, the shrt wrds r the result of mni yrs as ham radio opr, where lng wrds r a pain to send in code.  Sometimes wrks gud on BB's also.  Wink

My problem started on WD 40 GB HDD formatted w/their Data Lifeguard Tools.  When that didn't work, I saw that Radman sed stay away frm these utilities, so I went over to FDISK and re-formatted and re-partitioned the drive.  Same problem.  Then I tried a single partition format in FDISK with the logical partitions established thru PartitionMagic.  Same prob.

I have NOT tried assembling my own boot disk yet, tho.  I believe there are some instructions in the Symantec link u sent me on how to do that.  True?

I shrink from the testing task, since seeing if a Fast imaging of my C drive really works requires about 40 min., during which my PC is busy.  My average transfer rate for this task seems to be about 175MB/min, tho I see it go up down between about 130MB/min and 250MB/min during the task.  That seesm weird to me.

By the way, my controller is NOT an ATA one (that's on order), although my drives are ATA-capable.  I assume that's not a prob....?

Whatever this is, it sounds like there are a couple of "tips" that shud be added to yr otherwise xlnt website/tipsheet. 

Yours in endless cycles of fruitless formature,
   -PGrig

P.S.  I see I've bn summarily classified as a
"newbie" by ur Board.  OK, you pegged me right.  But
if I whip this problem AND report the results in a
useful fashion, I want to be "promoted" forthwith.  I also want "credit" for my innaugural post as the anonymous "Guest".

IP Logged

PaulG
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

near Boston

Success! ...(sorta...)
Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2002 at 12:12pm

OK, manually creating a Ghost boot disk as you suggested got me through the high-compression imaging process.  However, Ghost stopped in mid-stream and told me I needed to "span".  Hitting "OK" made it happy, and it finished up what it reports as a 2,097.1MB Image File and a 595,493MB Spanned Image File.  These are 60% the size of the clone file I produced from the same C Drive.

I still have several problems---(1)  I can't do a set-it-and-forget-it image of my 4,360MB C Drive, because of the "span".  Anyway to get Ghost to just rip ahead?  It also finds a couple of Windows TEMP files that it sez are not the length it xpects, and makes my click OK before the imaging can proceed.  Any way to get it to bomb thruogh these problems?

I'm also real peeved that Symantec would distribute s/w with these sorts of fatal bugs in its instructions.  Yechhh!

This leaves uncertain the question of whether my imaging wud hv worked if I had gone ahead and used my Western Digital formatting utility and PartitionMagic, instead of FDISK and PartitionMagic as I ended up doing.  But it looks like the fatal error was caused by PC-DOS.

Now I wonder whether the same problem will affect the Ghost-generated boot disks for the NETBIOS version and the CD-RW versions of the s/w.  I suppose so.  Now I wonder how to create bootable floppies for those....

Any suggestions on the above points/questions still greatly appreciated.

Why is this so much work....?  And shouldn't the Rad how-to section on Ghost be edited to rule out any use of the Ghost-generated floppies in such (which?) situations.  I assume it's large drives and Win98, but have no idea of the extent of the problem.

Thanks,
     -PaulG

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2002 at 5:39pm

ur a master as shrt words. the best i've seen.

60% at high compression is right in line with expectations.

you can eliminate the need to hit button to span by using -auto switch .. it's in the guide. i have used it with no probs, but often forget.

the newbie rating is automatic. i think until 10 posts .. then u become 'junior' .. until 25 > senior. don't know if i can change individual user identities with this forum software. i'm still a 'newbie' myself with it. at least it works.

never heard about ur temp prob. many ghost users delete contents of temp file (& others, such as temp internet files) b4 creating ghost images. u might wanna try that. if you're worried about losing somethijg of value, you could back-up these files to another directory on another drive.

i tell ppl to use the ghost-generated (pc-dos) boot floppy (cuz it's so ez 2 use) unless they have probs, then to use ms-dos, which takes a little more effort.

it's impossible to cover every possible variable.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print