HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Asus P4TE (Read 2848 times)
Robert

Asus P4TE
Apr 19th, 2002 at 10:59pm

In one of your articles you wrote the following

"Update 30march2002: I couldn't resist $600 performance for a measly $134 any longer, so I upgraded my system to Northwood 1.6A (from Newegg) @ 2138 MHz, based on the Asus P4T-E (with ICS chips). See here. The most notable thing about this new system is it's stability. I've long heard from Pentium4 friends, who claim how stable their systems were. I can see now that it's true.

I was going to wait for the 815E chipset, but it is possible to run relaibly at 533-FSB now. I also liked that current board ofer 4 RIMM slots, while the new ones only offer two.

If you go this route, you need to get an Asus P4T-E with the new ICS memory clock generator chips - not the old Cypress chips. I don't know of a single person who has been able to achieve 533-FSB with the Cypress chips.

You also want to make sure that you purchase double-sided Samsund RDRAM. Googlegear specifies this. That's where I got mine. They sent me the correct RIMMs, altho not very quickly. I got 2x256MB. (512 total).

The biggest catch is that current BIOS versions (1005 right now) do not allow you to access PCI & AGP dividers to run those busses at default speeds while at 533-FSB EXCEPT by using dip-switches. But whe you use dip switches, you lose voltage control in the BIOS (jumperless). This sucks.

But you can be a bad overclocking stud by using "the wire trick" .. which UI did. It's not really that difficult. It actually requires more patience (and a good magnifying glass) than skill. If you have fat fingers, it could be a problem. More info here and here (enter as guest) and here. It works and works well. Both Motherboard Monitor and Sandra report 1.68v. I'm not sure that I actually needed the extra voltage, but merely wanted to play with the wire trick."

I was wondering what is the cypress chip and how do you know if you have one?  Also, would you know how to adjust my Vcore on my P4TE in jumper mode. 

With the jumper free setting I can do this from the BIOS, but one I enable jumper settings, I fanishes from the BIOS.  Any ideas?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Asus P4TE
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2002 at 11:15pm

cypress is the name of the company that manufacturers memory clock-generator chips for the p4t-e. if u read a few paragraphs up from ur copy-n-paste quote you'll find a link that will tell u what ur looking 4:

http://www.asusboards.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13459

u need a magnufying glass, cuz the letters are small.

u *can't* adjust voltage in jumper mode .. that's why u gotta use the pin trick.

You copied-n-pasted the answer:

"The biggest catch is that current BIOS versions (1005 right now) do not allow you to access PCI & AGP dividers to run those busses at default speeds while at 533-FSB EXCEPT by using dip-switches. But when you use dip switches, you lose voltage control in the BIOS (jumperless). This sucks."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print