Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost boot disk msdos files read 0 bytes (Read 13986 times)
L Sanders

Ghost boot disk msdos files read 0 bytes
Jun 23rd, 2002 at 11:41am

Undecided  Hi, I just downloaded your MSDOS boot files for Ghost and I noticed that the MSDOS.sys file has 0 kb as the file size. Will these files boot? I apologize if this is a dumb question. I appreciate your Ghost pages as I have had problems creating the boot disk for Windows 2000 Pro. I have SP2 installed and all Windows updates. I am using Ghost version 2002. Thanks for your help.

IP Logged

lorensr
Ex Member

Re: Ghost boot disk msdos files read 0 bytes
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2002 at 12:48pm

Hi guys,

I need some assistance please. My system is as follows:

AZZA P4XA MB with P4-1600 chip
W2K Pro with SP1 Installed and updated totally with Windows Update
2 IBM IDE HDs, PlexWriter 12/10/32 CDRW, Iomega Zip100 (parallel), Nvidia  RIVA TNT2 AGP card

Other software:
Adobe PhotoShop 7, PageMaker 7, NetObjects 7, WordPerfect Office 2002, Norton Anti-Virus.

I have been trying to install Norton Ghost on this W2K box for a couple of days now. I will work with it for a while then pull my hair out and leave the computer for a while. Then back to it again. I finally retrieved a DOS 7.10 boot disk, and using only the system files that the tutorial said to use, copied Ghostpe.exe onto it. Added the semi-colon to the MSDOS.SYS file. I boot with this disk, I select local, disk, image and I get all the way through where I answer yes to create the image and I then get an error: something about dumping headers as media is not large enough. Does anyone have any experience with this ridiculous Symantec DOS based program? If so, I'd like to know what I am doing wrong. I did not create a config.sys file because I thought I read in one of the many Symantec Ghost documents that I was not supposed to put drivers in for W2k. Did I read it wrong?  It is supposed to be an excellent program for creating an image of a drive in the event of an emergency. But I have to wonder what Symantec software engineers are doing with their time on the job. Thanks much.

L Sanders

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2002 at 4:02pm

LS, the files will boot. They r what i use.

lor, if u read my ghost guide, u'll know everything i know about ghost. not sure what you're doing wrong. u don't need to 'install' the program, as it runs from (true) dos.

IP Logged

lorensr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2002 at 6:32pm

Thank you I was successful finally....I appreciate your help.
My son has XP and I am going to read on imaging his system.
L Sanders

IP Logged

ketamine
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

the files will boot
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2002 at 3:05pm

Yes it did, Rad is right.

I, too, am using Ghost 2002 and just like you I encountered problems tho not that critical.

I bought a P4 1.60A on a D845BG (can't tweak) board.  I wanted my system to be "perfect" regardless that I experiment a lot and download a lot.  After I full-installed XP Pro and CleanSweep, I imaged my boot drive (D:).  The image was I think around 400+mb and I burned it on CD as ISO/UDF using Nero.  Tested it by trying to load the image to another drive and reached "...deleted.... are you sure?..." part, which means I successfully imaged with Ghost.

Then after two weeks, I wanted to imaged my boot/OS drive again and it resulted in a 900+mb image file.  I wanted to burn it on 2 CDs so I "copy con"ed ghostpe.bat & put there "ghostpe.exe -split=680 -auto" so I can burn it on my 700mb CD-Rs. I ran ghost once more and STILL produced one 900+mb image file. 

Up to now, success hs eluded me on that part of ghost.  Please help

???

Destiny Cable and ISP sucks

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2002 at 5:37pm

i don't understand ur problem.

btw - i've had nothing but problems with cleansweep. i don't install it any more.

IP Logged

L sanders

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2002 at 6:02pm

I don't understand this part of your message:

"Tested it by trying to load the image to another drive and reached "...deleted.... are you sure?..." part, which means I successfully imaged with Ghost. "

IP Logged

nikos

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2002 at 2:53am

Hi guys

It seems that i am not the only one who is trying to take an image.
I have  w2k and i my last attemp to get my image work was to create a dos disk from (98 se and also XP) then copy the ghost.exe.
Still cant find those hidden drives
any any any sug.

thx
nick
why i not at the beach? ask symantec

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2002 at 3:45am