Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decided to start backing up! (Read 4502 times)
Heinrich
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Decided to start backing up!
Jul 4th, 2002 at 2:41pm

Hello.

It's been years since I've truly backed up my computer.  I used to do a tape backup on my Dell 166mhz back in 1996 but I haven't had any failures - ever - that have caused me to lose anything, although I've seen quite a few at work.

But I've decided to stop living 'on the edge.'  I recently did have an experience on my new rig (Athlon 1900+ with 2 80 Giggers at RAID 0) where I hooked in another hard drive to read data off it, and somehow my boot sector got overwritten and I could not boot off my RAID 0 configuration.  I tried everything - I had no idea what I had done, but since only Windows was installed, it wasn't hard to just reinstall XP Pro.  But it did scare me some.

So now I'm left with the prospect of using Ghost to create some decent backups on a fairly regular basis.

I've been through the guide here and through the SatCP Ghost Boot tutorial with no luck.  I have no config sys at all after going through that tutorial on my floppy.  The Norton Ghost wizard does create a working boot floppy using option #3 but not #1.  When I load with option #3 I get all kinds of Aspi2, Aspi4, and Aspi8 errors - but it DOES load, I have access to all my CDs, and Ghost seems to be able to read my RAID 0 drive (at least it brought up the correct # of bytes to image, I didn't see it actually reading through files.)  But I couldn't access the drive through any drive letters.  Only the CDs.

So now I'm left wondering what to do.  Do I use Partition Magic to make another partition to send images to?  Or, do I buy another hard drive and install it for my images?  If so where do I put it?  For optimum RAID 0 performance I have 2 hard drives each on a separate channel (one HD per IDE cable.)  My other channels (regular non-RAID) are used by a CD, a DVD and a CD/RW.  Maybe I should ditch the CD and just use the DVD for CDs and put a third hard drive up there?  And when I do that, based on the experience I've already had, how do I know I won't accidently wipe out my RAID drives?  I think I know the answer to that one - when my BIOS says that something is trying to change my boot sector, I say "no" not "yes."  :-]

Anyway, advice appreciated.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Decided to start backing up!
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2002 at 3:39pm

I see no obvious solution .. which is prolly why your asking for advice.

Most ppl I know who have a RAID-0 array don't use it for booting. Rather, they use it for storing large files that benefit most from striping - such as video, sound & gfx files. Still, I have heard so many horror stories about IDE-RAID-0 that I cringe at the words. You seem to be lucky, tho. As the sustained thru-puts of IDE drives climb, the benefits of IDE RAID diminish.

Since you seem to know what you're doing, I will put in my 2 cents for a SCSI boot drive. Admittedly, SCSI is not for everyone, but it sounds like it might be for you. (SCSI drives are built to higher tolerances than IDE drives and are more reliable.) More info here:

http://scsi.radified.com/

With that out of the way, what file system are you using?

The quickest solution would be to buy another HDD to store your images. HDDs are so cheap these days. That should be painless.

If there's nothing wrong with ditching the CD, that would help.

IP Logged

Heinrich
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2002 at 4:08pm

You make a good point.  I have seen controversy over RAID-0 since I started.  I will tell you that I'm booting into Windows XP Pro (NTFS) in about 6 seconds with 2 plain vanilla 80 gig Western Digital ATA-100 drives.  I have not done a comparison to see how RAID-1 or non-RAID would be.

Can you shed some light into why my Ghost boot disk does not access the array through a drive letter and how to fix that?  And why I get all those failure in the ASPI drivers?  Maybe I should read your ASPI section, huh  Wink

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2002 at 5:11pm

To me, boot time is meaningless, since I usually do something else while booting, and it is anly a small fraction of the time spent computing.

RAID-1 is a waste of a drive IMHO. For normal PC operations, I doubt you'll notice a great diff from single-drive ops .. tho I could be wrong.

Ghost cannot write images to NTFS, so you would have to do something about that b4 being able to store back-up images.

I have no experience with RAID stripes, so can't comment on that. Altho I know symantec sasys it might work if the stripe can be seen by DOS. I don't think they formally sppt stripes.

IP Logged

Heinrich
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2002 at 9:06pm

Yes, I was just trying to give some semblance to saying that, on a very unscientific level RAID-0 feels fast.  But considering that I upgraded everything else, who really knows.

So it makes sense to you that Ghost can see the drives but PC-DOS did not assign the drives a drive letter?

And if I went through the ASPI section here I could figure out all those rolling errors that I get on my boot disk and maybe even make a boot CD?

Oh, and do you have a guesstimate of the compression ratio on Ghost images?  I'm trying to figure out what size HD I could squeak by with for now.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2002 at 9:52pm

If you read my guide, you will get answers to most of your questions. For example, try this to replace the PC-DOS files:

http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2000092514554025

which you can find a link to here:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_1y.htm

then here for compression info:

http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/14b9809f86e256c88825665f005ee732/...

which you can find a link to here:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_2.htm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print