Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help: can't back up at 100 Mb thru a LAN (10 only) (Read 3193 times)
Eddy
Ex Member

Help: can't back up at 100 Mb thru a LAN (10 only)
Jul 7th, 2002 at 2:20pm

Hi,
i am looking for feedback of people using Ghost networking option on the regular 2002 version.
I try to back up my laptop c: directory to my main PC thru my LAN. After some work getting the DOS drivers to work correclty (you need a MS DOS formatted floppy, DOS network drivers won t work with IBM PC DOS), i did achieve to get a link and save a ghost image to my main PC, BUT I just could link both computers while setting up both network card at a speed of 10 mb/s (resulting in a 40 minutes backup time for a 2 go file!!)
If i was setting up cards at 100 Mb, i couldn't establish a link

Did anyone already achieve once a 100 Mb/s speed for a network back up ?
Or experienced similar problem saving a ghost image at a 100 Mb speed ?

Thank you in advance
Eddy

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Help: can't back up at 100 Mb thru a LAN (10 o
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2002 at 4:13pm

i have no experience doing this, but am interested.

u can image at 10mbps, but not 100? kinda weird that u can use one speed but not the other.

how do you know ur limited to 10mbps?

what network cards?

what laptop?

IP Logged

Eddy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2002 at 7:56pm

Here is More Info :
got a VAIO laptop (FXA-46) with NIC being realtek 8139, and PC with a NIC being a standard UNEX card.  Other PC characteristics doesn t matter as everything runs under DOS
I found respective dos network driver on the web.
In the dos drivers, you got a protocol.ini file where you can define card network speed you gonna use
If i set up both card to 10 Mb, everything is working fine : i can save a image thru network : for info, you get speed set up feedback on dos start up screen and you can check of course this is running at this transfer speed a you know ghost file size and transfering time
If i set up both cards to 100 Mb, then no problem to start up both PC (I see they recognize a 100 Mb compatible network), but when starting the procedure under Ghost on both PC, slave machine will not connect with master....
I have been thru all Symantec help page and have been searching/scrolling newsgroup for one full day ! No similar problem found
Under windows, my network is working fine at 100 Mb, so this is no hardware problem.
So I am just looking for someone to tell me IT IS POSSIBLE with Ghost 2002 to save image thru network at 100 Mb to make sure this is not a Ghost bug..
(I did have confirmation this was working fine, but under  Ghost Pro edition, not the 2002 one)

Any help is welcome,

Eddy

PS :
got Vaio with XP home ed (don t like it**) and a 20 Go drive with 10 for c: under FAT32 and 10 d: under NFTS, and I got ca 7 Go of data on C, I want to save an image from...
One solution would be to make a clean install, create an additional FAT32 partition, save image there and then transfer it to PC under windows, but I am not even sure I can reformat one part of the NFTS d: drive into in FAT 32 ???

**PS2 : I heard/read Sony makes it a shitty operation to "upgrade" to W2k due to some bloody proprietary driver compatibility problem.. I won't  buy any Sony laptop again for that reason

PS3 : great stuff in your faq's Smiley

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2002 at 8:24pm

having two fat32 partitions on the drive would definitely be the way to go. partition magic can change ntfs to fat32, i think.

u can delete ntfs partitions using a utility called delpart.exe. can read about it here:

http://fdisk.radified.com/

yeah, laptops with their proprietary drivers. i've been chatting with dell about one of their 8200 models.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/model_inspn_1_inspn_8200.htm

they want an extra $100 for a unit with w2k .. for an *oldr* o/s. they normally come with wxp home. i don't even need a dang o/s. they won't ship without an o/s. they make it difficult to do what you want. that's why they're not getting my business.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print