Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CNET article on hard drives.. (Read 3472 times)
voltaic
Ex Member

CNET article on hard drives..
Jul 29th, 2002 at 11:42pm

It somewhat contradicts the SCSI guide on Radified. It's not that long, just take a look.

http://www.cnet.com/techtrends/0-6014-8-20069949-1.html?tag=ld

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: CNET article on hard drives..
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2002 at 2:26am

lots of geeksters look down their nose at cnet .. but i actually like them.

didn't have time to read the whole thing, but noticed a few things right off.

first, benchmarks are programmed sequentially, which means they don't take into account scsi's multitasking capabilities. i ran benchmarks after upgrading to scsi's and found that real-world performance far exceeded what benchmarks indidcated.

2nd, he says this about the seek/access spec:

"But on the desktop? You'll never spot the difference."

That depends what you're doing with your pc. If by "desktop" they mean "surfing the web & checking email" okay. But even girls notice a big differece over an ide-based system.

lastly, they make a big deal about the price differential. the thing is, you only want scsi to run your os, apps & swap/page file. you don't need more than 18gb for that, even if you double/multi boot.

you can buy an x15-36lp for ~$200 .. that's thje fastest drive on the planet.

the proof is in the pudding and it depends on what you do. the more you access the disk, the more you'll appreciate a scsi boot drive.

i have banged heads in so many scsi-vs-ide threads that i don't ever want to do another. i was angry at ppl who told me 'scsi isn't worth the cost'. then i tried it for myself and wished i woulda jumped on board sooner. i tolerated a (relatively) slow ide-based machine cuz i listened to those clowns.

caveat: scsi is not for everyone.

you will find precious few ppl who have gone scsi and say it wasn't worth it for them. 98% of these ppl (like me) continue to buy scsi disks to this day. (i have 3 in my system - 1 15K & 2x10Krpm)

IP Logged

yakimasy
Radmeister

Dark Lord of the Riff

portland, oregon

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2002 at 5:37pm

I read that article a while back before I bought and installed my Atlas III 10k drive.....I like CNET, but I had to stick with the radministrator on this one...that SCSI drive drops bombs on any IDE drive I have ever put into my system...

WWW yakimasy  
IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2002 at 7:59pm

yeah, i can't imagine the guy actually used the drive for anything substantial. if he actually used an x15-36lp for a couple of weeks, and then went back to a system based on an ide drive, he'd be crying like a baby. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print