Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem using Norton Ghost with Promise ATA-100 (Read 6256 times)
Dustin

Problem using Norton Ghost with Promise ATA-100
Aug 1st, 2002 at 2:22am

Ghost wont recognize my HDD when its on the Promise Ultra ATA-100 controller card, but it will when its running straight through the motherboard.  So I installed Windows while the HDD was on the controller card and plugged the HDD into the motherboard temporarily just to make the Ghost image.  Well, I had to use that Ghost image yesterday and it doesn't seem to want to work on the controller card.  Any ideas?

Regards,
Dustin

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Problem using Norton Ghost with Promise ATA-10
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2002 at 3:03am

Can you put the drive back on the motherboard controller to restore?

IP Logged

Dustin

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2002 at 2:35pm

Thanks for your reply.

That's exactly what I did.  I assumed that since Ghost wouldn't recognize my HDD on the ATA-100 controller for backup purposes, then it probably wouldn't see it for restoration purposes either so I just slapped the HDD on the mobo when I went to restore.  When I tried to put the HDD back on the controller card I got an NTLDR Missing error message.  If I put the HDD back on the mobo it works just fine but that's not what I want.  I need to be able to Ghost my system while, both the HDD to be backed up and the destination HDD are running through the Promise Ultra ATA-100 TX2 controller card.  I have installed the latest BIOS and drivers for my controller card and my system BIOS boot sequence is Floppy, SCSI, then HDD-0.  I guess I just need to know how to include my controller card information on my Ghost boot disk so it will see the HDDs (The process, what files to include, etc) Suggestions please.

Regards,
Dustin

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2002 at 3:41pm

Hmmm.

First try changing boot sequence to make scsi last.

then tryfinding & copying the file NTLDR (NT Loader) to what ever is your C: drive, as that where it usually goes.

IP Logged

Dustin

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2002 at 6:18pm

Im at work right now so I dont have access to my workstation.  A few quicky questions though.  As for the nature of NTLDR, that is just a file that Wintows NT/2K needs in order to load up correctly and it is obviously in place since Windows boots up just fine when the HDD is attached to the motherboard. 

As for putting SCSI last on the chain, I dont see how that would help since Im trying to boot from the controller card which, to the BIOS, is recognized as a SCSI device.  So it seems, and Promise Technologies has confirmed this, that SCSI would need to be first in the boot sequence.

Suggestions please...?
Regards,
Dustin

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2002 at 6:42pm

when you move the drive off the controller card, windows might assign a different drive letter to it .. might.

sometimes windows treats/sees devices on ide controller cards as scsi.

can't hurt to try.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print