Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 VIRTPART.DAT (Read 16866 times)
Fiendish1

Ghost 2003 VIRTPART.DAT
Feb 2nd, 2003 at 9:17am

I have recently purchased an external (firewire) 80gb LaCie hard drive to complement my Sony Vaio Notebook's 30gig hard drive.

I was delighted to find that Norton Ghost 2003 is happy to make full of this external drive to image to and from.

I have now imaged 2 partitions (System and vital data). All is well and I am happy.

However, I see that I know have a file called VIRTPART.DAT created in the root of C-Drive. It is 26+Meg. Can this file be removed?

I am assuming that Norton Ghost 2003 creates a virtual partition for every operation (requiring DOS) initiated from the Windows Interface (I am also assuming that this file is related to that). These are big assumptions and I have found no help from Symantec's website/knowledgebase.

My second question (out of curtiosity). Is it possible to restore a Ghost 2003 Image to a larger (different) hard drive. Or does the image have to be restored to the same drive it was sourced from (or one of equivalent size)?

For example, if I want to upgrade my HD, can I simply create an image of my system partition, install the newer drive (remove the old drive) and restore the partition?

Fiendish1

PS - Thanks for a great site !! You deserve 900,000 hits per months (website hits that is  Cheesy)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost 2003 VIRTPART.DAT
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2003 at 5:48pm

IP Logged

Fiendish1

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2003 at 1:59am

I have already entered a message in the Ghost2003 equivalent of what you link to. Find it here:

http://servicenews.symantec.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?group=symantec.support.networ...

Thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2003 at 10:28pm

if you creat an image of windows Me it will be able to restore and continue working even if the hardware is different than when the image was created. Windows XP does not allow this to happen  Angry

With windows xp you must change your hardware first then create new save images because your images that were created with your old hardware configuration will refuse to boot up after they are restored.

My example: I removed a cd rom drive and then tried to restore to an earlier image file and win xp refused to boot untill i put the drive back in.

Another time I replaced my hard drive and it refused to boot up.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2003 at 10:37pm

I think Ghost is supposed to be able to help you migrate or upgrade to another hard drive with the disk clone feature but I've never used it yet so I can't say how that will work.

IP Logged

Nick

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2004 at 12:32am

so you guys didn't saay if we need to keep it or can we delete it?

IP Logged

fredflintstone

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2004 at 3:09am

Hi,

Ghost  can clone to partitions/discs of different sizes so is OK when you buy that monster disc and want to transfer your OS onto it.

The virtpart is created to let the dos part of ghost do its stuff and if you delete it ghost will just create a new one next time you use it.

IP Logged

TvVoice

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2004 at 10:26pm

I just replaced two 40 gigabyte hard drives with Western Digital 80 gigabyte S-ATA drives on my Windows XP (Home edition) computer.  I cloned my old bootable drive to a new HDD using Western Digital's "Data Lifeguard" install disc.  When it came time to boot up with the new drive Windows XP wouldn't allow it because a "problem" kept it from verifying the activation information.  I re-cloned the drive using Norton Ghost (2003) and everything worked perfectly.  Hurray for Ghost!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print