Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Converting FAT32 to NTFS & restoring (Read 4903 times)
hewitsd
N00b

Converting FAT32 to NTFS & restoring
Mar 25th, 2003 at 10:14am

Hi
I'm using ghost 2003, and I have xp pro installed on a FAT32 partition.  I want to image this, clean format to NTFS and restore all the data - can it be done?
I know I can use MS convert to do this, but understand this compromises performance.  I haven't used the ghost explorer, but can I just select all the files in the image and restore those without getting all the FAT32 stuff back?
I REALLY don't want to reinstall XP !!

Thanks

Dave

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Converting FAT32 to NTFS & restoring
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2003 at 10:49am

ghost will use the file system of the source partition when restoring.

never heard of anyone doing what u want to, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

u can always convert your fat32 partition to ntfs, but that can introduce quirky problems. it's always best to begin with a freshly formated drive, either fat32 or ntfs .. not a conversion.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/managing/convertfat.asp

i wouldn't want to reinstall xp either.

IP Logged

hewitsd
N00b

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2003 at 11:11am

Thanks - If I restore the image, then I would expect the drive to end up with whatever file system the drive had when it was backed up.

But using the ghost explorer, isn't it just like copying a file from another partition using windows explorer - ie it just copies the data?

If it did work I get the best of both worlds...

a clean formatted NTFS partition and
all my original files.

I'll just have to try it I think !

IP Logged

Ghostie1
Dude

I love RADIFIED.COM!

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2003 at 3:14pm

If you're hoping to copy the files of an application or program from your image onto your new NTFS-formatted system, this won't make the application work.  Remember, you're not copying registry settings and such.

However, if you're just talking about 'flat' files, yeah, this should work.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2003 at 5:41am

This is probably way too late but since no results have been posted ......

If XP is installed on a HardDisk formated to FAT32, using FDISK, it´s likely that the clusters aren´t aligned to the boundary of the disk. I honestly don´t understand this exactly but FDISK isn´t that accurate.
If such a HardDisk is converted to NTFS, it will get a cluster size of 512B. However, there´s a chance that the clusters are aligned and then cluster size on the to NTFS converted HardDisk will be 4kB.
A cluster size of 512B will be more prone to fragmentation than the NTFS default cluster size 4kB.

Formating to FAT32 using the WinXP install CD will get it right and HardDisks or partitions will after converting to NTFS have the default cluster size of 4kB.

I would try using the WinXP install CD to format (full format, not quick) the HardDisk to FAT32 and let it continue to install the OS.
Next I would restore using the Ghost Image.
Finally I would convert to NTFS, keeping my fingers crossed ...... Roll Eyes

Note #1: I´ve never done this but I would certainly try it before reinstalling everything ......  Cry

Note #2: If successful, don´t forget to re-image the system partition ......  8)

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print