Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Partition Size (When restoring from image) (Read 4798 times)
Dave Hewitson

Partition Size (When restoring from image)
Apr 8th, 2003 at 11:04am

When restoring a partition from an image, does the target partition have to be the same size as the partition it was made from?

I have a C drive with win xp, and am thinking of splitting c into 2, will I then be able to restore my original backup of the original c onto the new smaller C - obviously the new C will have to be big enough.

Dave

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Partition Size (When restoring from image)
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2003 at 1:06pm

Never done this myself, but folks say that it will restore fine long as the destination is big enogh to hold all the data .. that it will resize the image as necessary.

IP Logged

Ghostie1
Dude

I love RADIFIED.COM!

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2003 at 3:09pm

This will work. I've done it hundreds of times.
But, just in case you run into problems, the first thing to check will be to see how your BIOS recognizes your new or old HDD.

For instance, if you get a 'not enough space on destination'-type error, just exit Ghost and use a utility like FDISK or GDISK to see what size your HDD(s) are being reported as.  If there's something wrong in this reporting of the disk sizes, fix it and then retry.

Tongue

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2003 at 5:44pm

(I just discovered this site and forum.  The original poster may not be around anymore, but I'll add the following info for anyone else with the same question.)

When cloning or restoring an image, Ghost makes an exact sector-by-sector duplicate of the source partition.  That means files are fragmented if the source was fragmented.  If you have a 40GB partition with 5GB of data, that 5GB could be scattered over, say, 25GB of space.  Even though you only have 5GB of data, you would need a target partition of at least 25GB to hold the clone or restored image.  (The obvious solution, of course, would be to defrag the source partition before making the backup image.)

Very nice site, Rad, and quite useful!  I've added a link to it from my multibooting site (www.goodells.net/multiboot).

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2003 at 8:26pm

That's a nice guide. Well organized & cleanly laid out. [I know how difficult it can be to do that.] I especially like the way you include links to similar guides. Shows you're not afraid to let people compare yours with others. Most people won't link to competing guides.

If you include a link to google pre-sorted to search for "multi-boot configuration" or some similar terms, Google will see your page and begin to move it up in its ranking as people click it .. a little trick I learned.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print