Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
bootable CD to run ghost (no FDD) (Read 192625 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: bootable CD to run ghost (no FDD)
Reply #30 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 5:14pm

JunkyJu

Quote:
Any hints appreciated, the coaster count is rising.

Use 're-writeables' until you have it right, if possible.

Quote:
When booting from the new CD the drivers (GX280) are installed fine, but the Ghost executable cannot be accessed.  When viewing from DOS, the program doesn't even exist on the CD.

So, once you boot, you have access to the CD in the optical drive from DOS, but you can not change to the Ghost directory and list it's contents?

What drive letter is the optical drive being assigned?  Do you have more than one optical drive? 

How many partitons do you have on your HDD? 

Are they FATxx and/or NTFS (list them all)?

Post your 'Config.sys' and 'Autoexec.bat', i.e. open with Notepad, copy and paste to post here.

Quote:

Interesting link.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

JunkyJu
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #31 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 1:17pm

Autoexec:
@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+05:00
CLS
LH \MSCDEX.EXE /D:cd1 /D:cd2
prompt $p$g
\net\netbind.com
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
if %config% == FROMFLPY goto FLPYBOOT
if %config% == FROMCD goto CDBOOT

goto FAILED

:FLPYBOOT
echo Insert Ghost boot disk 2 (containing Ghost.exe)
pause
if exist a:\ghost\ghost.exe goto GHOSTFND
goto FLPYBOOT

:CDBOOT
echo To run Ghost.exe from a hard disk or CD, press Ctrl-C at the following prompt
echo then change to the appropriate drive letter and type 'Ghost'
pause
if not exist b:\ghost\ghost.exe goto CDBOOT
b:
goto GHOSTFND

:GHOSTFND
cd \ghost
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE
goto END

:FAILED
echo Unknown boot menu selection
goto END

:END

Config.sys
@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+05:00
CLS
LH \MSCDEX.EXE /D:cd1 /D:cd2
prompt $p$g
\net\netbind.com
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
if %config% == FROMFLPY goto FLPYBOOT
if %config% == FROMCD goto CDBOOT

goto FAILED

:FLPYBOOT
pause
if exist a:\ghost\ghost.exe goto GHOSTFND
goto FLPYBOOT

:CDBOOT
echo To run Ghost.exe from a hard disk or CD, press Ctrl-C at the following prompt
echo then change to the appropriate drive letter and type 'Ghost'
pause
if not exist b:\ghost\ghost.exe goto CDBOOT
b:
goto GHOSTFND

:GHOSTFND
cd \ghost
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE
goto END

:FAILED
echo Unknown boot menu selection
goto END

:END

Just the basic stuff from the diskette creation.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #32 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 3:26pm

JunkyJu

Need to answer the other questions as well....

If you're using the above autoexec.bat and config.sys, it does not match the information outlined by the author of that boot disk tutorial (also, looks like you posted the autoexec.bat file twice and no config.sys file):

Quote:
Next you will need to edit the CONFIG.SYS file on the first floppy so that it looks like this:

DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:mscd001
DEVICE=\net\protman.dos /I:\net
DEVICE=\net\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\net\EL90x.dos
LASTDRIVE=Z

Quote:
Next we need to edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT file so that it loads the Microsoft CD-ROM extensions. An example is provided below. By loading the CD-ROM extensions we will be able to load the GHOST.EXE file after the network drivers have loaded.

Sample AUTOEXEC.BAT file:

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
mscdex /L:D /d:mscd001
MOUSE.COM
\net\netbind.com
echo Loading Ghost...
D:
cd \ghost
GHOST.EXE -nousb

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

JunkyJu
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #33 - Mar 18th, 2005 at 10:02am

Config.sys
[menu]
menuitem=FROMFLPY, This computer was started from a Ghost boot disk
menuitem=FROMCD, This computer was started from a Ghost bootable CD

[FROMFLPY]

[FROMCD]

[COMMON]
DEVICE = oakcdrom.sys /D:cd1
DEVICE = btdosm.sys
DEVICE = flashpt.sys
DEVICE = btcdrom.sys /D:cd2
DEVICE = aspi2dos.sys
DEVICE = aspi8dos.sys
DEVICE = aspi4dos.sys
DEVICE = aspi8u2.sys
DEVICE=\net\protman.dos /I:\net
DEVICE=\net\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\net\B57.dos
LASTDRIVE = Z

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #34 - Mar 18th, 2005 at 10:30am

JunkyJu

Still need these answers, too:

Quote:
So, once you boot, you have access to the CD in the optical drive from DOS, but you can not change to the Ghost directory and list it's contents?

What drive letter is the optical drive being assigned?  Do you have more than one optical drive?   

How many partitons do you have on your HDD?   

Are they FATxx and/or NTFS (list them all)?

IP Logged

Sherryljpg

Reply #35 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 5:00pm

I have the same problem, and as the original poster mentioned it does give you the option to make the cd bootable, at which point the only option is to insert a floppy into the non-existent floppy drive!  It only allows 2 choices for destination - A: or B:

If you are able to post clear instructions for burning a copy of the files that would be on the bootable floppy, please do - I really couldn't follow the ones the original poster was able to follow.  Thanks so much for the guide - it's definitely better than the Symantec Guide (I have Systemworks 2003 that includes Ghost 2003 and a Dell 4700C with no floppy option and a virtual diagnostic partition.  I'm going nuts between no floppy and the built-in virtual partition (Ghost won't work with the built-in diagnostic partition - the only way around that is to use a floppy boot disk.)   Anyone else have a sollution to this one?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #36 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 11:22pm

Quote:
"... I have Systemworks 2003 that includes Ghost 2003 and a Dell 4700C with no floppy option and a virtual diagnostic partition.  I'm going nuts between no floppy and the built-in virtual partition (Ghost won't work with the built-in diagnostic partition - the only way around that is to use a floppy boot disk.)   Anyone else have a sollution to this one?"

Sherryljpg

My daughter has a new Dell Dimension 8400 desktop that was delivered without a floppy drive.  I purchased a NEC 3.5-inch floppy drive (OEM) from NewEgg.com for $7.80 plus S&H, and dropped it right into place where it worked perfectly without any preparation or setup of any kind other than removing the faceplate and eject button.  The necessary power connector and ribbon cable were already in place, courtesy of Dell.

For most applications, I actually prefer the Sony brand (I had other brands of floppy drives - new and used - lying about), but the NEC was far and away the best fit physically for the Dimension 8400.  I have two caveats to offer: (1) remove all of the  nested plastic frames on the front while seating the drive - then snap the two appropriate pieces back into place with the drive already firmly set (discarding the outer cover); and (2) take great care in hooking up the power plug, for if you forcefully miswire the connection you will experience a dead short that will burn the insulation of the power cables while destroying the drive
(I am ashamed to admit it, but it really it happened to me when I was in a hurry and got careless!)

El Pescador

IP Logged

Kieron

Reply #37 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 8:12am

Sorry to hyjack this thread....

Like before, I need to create a ghost boot cd so I can take images off a laptop, then put a new install of XP on.

Basically, I work at a boarding school, every school holidays when the students coem back our network is bombarded with all sorts of viruses.

We now want to take the image of the laptop and save it on a server, then give the student a fresh install of XP thats runs on the domain with normal user rights, then when they go back home put there other image back on the laptop.

so many laptops dont have a floppy drive, so I need to dreate a boot disk with all th drivers for laptops used on my network.

Ive read this thread time and time again, real all the links (syd's is dead) but I still cant work it out...

Someone please help me...

IP Logged

Digit

Reply #38 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 7:03pm

Why not just get a cheap floppy? Only need on. You could plug it into each machine. Figure out the bootable gig later.

IP Logged

Kieron

Reply #39 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 4:08am

I have 2 weeks before the school term starts again, if I cant work out how to do it before then, that would be the only other option but the boss wants 1 cd or dvd thats bootable with every ndis drive under the sun on instead of 100 bootable floppy disks.

IP Logged

unggrabb777

Reply #40 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 1:10am

Same thing happens to me

Have the 2 ghost floppies
Select make BOOT CD in NERO

First floppy goes in, secon ghost floppy inaccessable when boote on floppy less laptop.

Arghhh, what the heck am I supposed to do???

IP Logged

christo1423

Reply #41 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 12:38am

In order to make a CD bootable while in Ghost 2001 you can use the commandline switch -bootcd or when Ghost comes up in DOS go to Options and locate the switch in there and place a checkmark or its equivilent next to it.
As far as running from CD I believe it is possible if you use nero to make a bootable CD and add ghost.exe or ghostpe.exe, as well as any files you might otherwise add to the MS-DOS floppy version of a ghost boot disk, to the CD.
hope this helps.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #42 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 9:40am

Uneeda Floppy !!!

Many PCs nowadays lack provision for floppy drives with installed bezels, and in my limited experience of either replacing floppies or making initial installs I have found the NEC brand always to be a ready fit whereas I have experienced occasional misfit with other brands.  For those considering the need for retrofitting a floppy drive, consider the hardware illustrated below:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/cd---storage-floppy-drives.html

El Pescador

IP Logged

mbs
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Apr 26th, 2005 at 12:51am

I have been trying (for a long time!) to create a bootable CD for Norton Ghost 2003 without using a Floppy drive. I finally did it and thought someone else might benefit from this. Let me know if this is helpful. It uses Bart's BFD utility.

Just FYI, I am running WinXP. These are the steps:

1) Download Bart's BFD utility from http://www.nu2.nu/bfd/
2) Create the Virtual Drive "B:" as follows (this fools Ghost into writing the files to the hard drive):
a.  Open a Dos window
Click Start / Click Run / Type "Command" / click OK)
b. Type the following at the Dos command prompt:
subst b: c:\GhostFiles
Press <Enter>
Note: "c:\ GhostFiles " is any existing and empty path on your hard drive
3) Use Norton Ghost to write all the files to the hard drive.
a. Under "Ghost Utilities" choose  Norton Ghost Boot Wizard
b. Choose the kind of Boot Disk and all the parameters which work for your system.
c. When you get to the wizard screen where it asks for "Floppy disk Drive," the drop down combo allows for "A:" or "B:".
    i. Choose "B:"
    ii. Uncheck "Format Disk"
d. Continue and Finish. Norton will write files to the B: drive (a path on your hard drive)
4) In Explorer, goto the directory where the ghost files were written (e.g. c:\GhostFiles)
a. Edit Autoexec.bat and config.sys to your hearts content
b. I use Barts MSDos 7.01 (not Norton's supplied PCDos) since I don't have a bootsec.bin file for PCDos. Therefore, the 3 files in B: are not used and can be erased: command.com, ibmbios.com, ibmdos.com
5) Configure BFD
a. In Explorer, goto the directory where BFD is installed
b. edit bfd.sam and save it to bfd.cfg. My bfd.cfg looks like this:
Note that the "c" command is the copy command and you should have a copy line for every file you want copied to your floppy image. "m" is the make directory command. Mine mirrors the directory and file structure that Norton wrote to the hard drive.

# -------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ghost cdrom boot disk
# -------------------------------------------------------------------------
n       ghostBoot
b       cdrom
c       GhostFiles\Autoexec.bat
c       GhostFiles\config.sys
c       GhostFiles\guest.exe
c       GhostFiles\mouse.com
m       ghost
c       GhostFiles\ghost\ghost.exe ghost
m       fwr
c       GhostFiles\fwr\aspi1394.sys fwr

6) Rund BFD using the Dos Command Prompt
a. I had to do this step to workaround a bug in BFD - the temp directory wouldn't automatically create, so I had to do it manually each time I ran BFD. You will have to substitute your own temp path for mine. bfd will tell you where it is trying to write to and give an error that it can't.
md C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\$bfd$
b. Type the command
bfd -d -i ghostBootImage.ima -t 288 ghostBoot c:\temp\ghostimage
c. This creates a 2.88mb floppy image file: ghostBootImage.ima
d. Use Roxio Easy CD Creator (or Nero) to create a boot disk. Give it the option to supply the image and choose "ghostBootImage.ima"

Hope this helps someone.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #44 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 3:51pm

Just stating the obvious .. that the Ghost 2003 retail CD is bootable:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=Full_Rad_Board;action=display;nu...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print