Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 2003 Update (Read 115821 times)
Roelie
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Norton Ghost 2003 Update
Reply #30 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 3:37pm

That's not it. I tried Liveupdate 3.2.0.43 with Ghost2003 version 775....no LIVE/ARCHIVE choice and no (thus) update. Too bad.

Update: I must have done something wrong the first time...tried it and now I'm OK. Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

absinthe
Dude

Reply #31 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 3:52pm

Roelie wrote on Feb 26th, 2007 at 3:37pm:
That's not it. I tried Liveupdate 3.2.0.43 with Ghost2003 version 775....no LIVE/ARCHIVE choice and no (thus) update. Too bad.

You must be doing something wrong - you have the exact same situation/setup as me. 

Let me stress again, you should NOT run LiveUpdate from within one of your apps or whatever.  You should launch it using the ActiveX controls on the very same page you used for updating.

Look at #4 on THIS PAGE: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2007010219171513

Make sure you are following all the instructions on the page. 

-abs

IP Logged

critter748
N00b

Reply #32 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 4:22am

Thanks  ghostuser - your suggestions above works.  Grin

I also decided to start from the beginning. Dumped a image of Windows XP sp2 pro and then installed Ghost 2003 from the CD (v775)…  it was time for a clean up anyways…  Lips Sealed

Proceeded to installed Live Update v300171.

Followed by the LiveUpdate SETTINGS FILE – taking note exactly of the naming, location and file type of this.

I was not able to run the LiveUpdate from the website, instead I ran LiveUpdate from -
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LUALL.EXE
and selected SYMANTEC-ARCHIVE from the drop down menu.

After the 2nd update, Ghost 2003 is now at v793

Where does LiveUpdate store the downloaded files?  I would like to save them on a CD for future use?.  ???

Cheers

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #33 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 1:25pm

Critter748, please take a look in the “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads" folder.  Does that help?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

critter748
N00b

Reply #34 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 2:57pm

Excellent – You’re right on the money Pleonasm.  Cheesy

After I dumped the image (my above post) I did not have show hidden folders set.  Embarrassed
The Application Data folder is a hidden folder… 
For those that don’t know or have forgotten like myself,
from Windows Explorer goto Tools/Folder Options/View/Show Hidden files and folders.

Thanks again to all.

IP Logged

johnroberts
Dude

Puppy = NO BLOATWARE

SE Europe

Reply #35 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 10:47am

I want to share my experience with this. I had purchased in the past Ghost 2003 and the version on the retail CD was 775. When I decided to reinstall everything on my PC running XP (...the reason was SP2 that f****d up all my applications) I found out that Ghost would not update. I turned to Symantec for help and they could not provide nothing. The "tech representative" that I spent time talking to an exchanging e-mails did not have even 5% of the technical knowledge an average user has. He just kept repeating (like a damn idiot...) "if LiveUpdate does not work we cannot help you...You have to try again..." but without even providing the smallest clue on what to do. What I finally did, since I ACTUALLY HAD updated to level 793 before this incredible BS appeared, was to find an actual EARLIER DVD Ghost image of my hard disk that contained the 793 update and search one by one ALL the Ghost files to locate the ones that had newer dates and then replace them one by one. This is what I call "Great Service" from Symantec. You buy the software but if you actually intend to re-install it in the future the reply is a polite:
"F**k you very much!! Buy the newer version, sucker!!!"
Absolute disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!

====================================&&Windoze by need, SUSE by choice, Puppy by belief&&http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxMainPage&&http://www.puppylinux.com/&&=================================

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #36 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 3:41am

Hello to everybody,
                  Ive been Ghost user since 2005 and I wish to thank those who wrote the previous postings on how to get the latest of Ghost 2003. I just would like to share my own experience here. I have Symantec antivirus (SAV) with liveupdate version 3.0 and also Ghost 2003.775. Well, to update Ghost i tried the link given in the forum:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2007010219171513

It installed a symantec web update utility "autofix" but on running the latter, my laptop just hanged up. I reboot and tried again but with the same result. So then I looked for a more recent version of liveupdate and I found one version: 3.2.0.43 free on the web. I installed it and could now see the "use location profile" : Symantec-live or Symantec-archive. It's great as I could use the "live" to update my anivirus and "archive" to update my Ghost. Before installing the new liveupdate, i didn't uninstall my old version 3.0 . The files just got overwritten in the installation process.

As mentioned earlier by one posting, the first update with symantec-archive updates the Ghost to 2003.789 and on the second update we get the 2003.793 version.

At the Dos prompt, on executing "ghost -ver" my version now reads:

Norton Ghost 2003 <build=793, cdrlib=3.1.25>

Also now I got these (around) 3 MB each files:

1165278149jtun_ng2003b789_en.x86.full.zip

1165278149jtun_ng2003b793_en.x86.full.zip

Does anyone know what the numbers 1165278149 stand for?

I'm happy if I'm able to help someone out there just as this forum helped me to get the latest 2003 version.

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 4:35am

blackeagle wrote on Aug 17th, 2007 at 3:41am:
Does anyone know what the numbers 1165278149 stand for?

Looks like a classic UNIX timestamp to me - that corresponds to 5th December 2006 or thereabouts.

The date on that file doesn't correspond to anything much that I can think of, and it's probably not there for any particular reason other than to ensure that the names are unique. Probably whenever files are archived by the LiveUpdate team, they are moved by some automated process someone wrote that sticks the date on the front of the filename.

Incidentally, UNIX timestamps turn up all over the place. Quote a message here on this forum, and look closely at the quote tag - the one at the top of this message has "quote author=blackeagle link=1074852133/30#36 date=1187340086", which is the date as I'm writing this encoded in exactly the same way.

IP Logged

blackeagle
Radmeister

Un rayo de sol

Sweden

Reply #38 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 4:45am

Thanks for the reply. It's always nice to learn something new...

Stay Bright  
blackeagle

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print