Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
SUCCESS USING GHOST WITH NOTEBOOK & PCMCIA CARD (Read 215743 times)
Abyss

Re: SUCCESS USING GHOST WITH NOTEBOOK & PCMCIA
Reply #60 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 1:24am

*digs out the paper work for the manual from the deep dark depths of the cupboard and also checks the bios*

um does the words "removable devices" in the boot sequence of the bios suggest firewire?

i will look through the paper work while i wait for your response.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #61 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 1:44am

Abyss

Quote:
um does the words "removable devices" in the boot sequence of the bios suggest firewire?

It might--but I saw a post recently that indicated that was for enabling a *floppy drive* by one forum member who was trying to get his system to boot from a floppy drive!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Abyss

Reply #62 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 1:55am

its sucks Sad

thanks for your help because i have given up

i made a boot disk with firewire support but it didnt work on my laptop, as i made the boot disk on another computer

so yeah somtehing about himem or some junk like that...

thanks for your help anyway...

IP Logged

Harith Alam

Reply #63 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 10:24pm

Thanks guys - was having real problems - now able to create bootdisk on xp sp2 - it seems that the crucial step is to transfer himem.sys from 98se bootdisk download to the xp created bootdisk (mine worked on pc dos) - that's all i had to do and i am able to connect to my external hardrive by firewire - all using just one floppy!

IP Logged

Matt

Reply #64 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 9:04pm

Hi everyone,  my problem is similar and yet different to the USB issue here.

I have GHOST 2003 but no FLOPPY drive, so I would like to boot my PC from a USB device just like it was a floppy.

One more thing, I am using an ADAPTEC 1200A IDE RAID card and I need to make sure the driver is loaded so I can restore my image back to BOTH Drives?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks
Matt in Tulsa

IP Logged

Will Mor

Reply #65 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 4:22pm

Hey Thanks very much for this info, VERY USEFUL...

Hey i have an External DVD writter (also Dual Layer compatible) and it is in a USB 2.0 box enclosure.

How can i use Ghost 10 to do a complete backup of my entire computer onto a DVD (so i can make an exact clone of my computer on another computer).

Also does it work with NTFS?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Samplehead

Reply #66 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 6:12pm

Dumb question, does any of the info in this thread pertain to RESTORING a ghost image to an external USB drive.

In my case, I would like to be able to restore a ghost image file that's already on the laptop's internal harddrive to an external drive (connected via PCMCIA->USB2). Is this possible?

Thanks...

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #67 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 8:58pm

Quote:
Hey Thanks very much for this info, VERY USEFUL...
Hey i have an External DVD writter (also Dual Layer compatible) and it is in a USB 2.0 box enclosure.

How can i use Ghost 10 to do a complete backup of my entire computer onto a DVD (so i can make an exact clone of my computer on another computer)?

Also does it work with NTFS?

Thanks.

The first question that needs answering is do you have a full retail cd license for Windows XP or do you have an OEM license for a pc purchased by a vendor (Dell, HP, etc.)?

OEM licenses can not be transferred to another pc.  They are tied to the motherboard and bios as delivered by the vendor.

Assuming though you have a full retail cd license for XP (purchased in box at store), you will have to do a repair install after you move your hard drive (or a clone of it) to your new pc.  You will also have to activate it again with Microsoft.  (You can't have two activated at once).

Search for xp repair install with Google.

The cleanest approach with another computer is to install Windows XP from scratch onto freshly formatted hard drive.  Much less problems in the long run. 

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

ScottLippmann
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #68 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 2:09pm

I am hoping someone has come across this issue.

Purchased a USB 2.0 SATA/IDE Enclosure and a 320GB WD HD.  I am using Ghost 8.3.  I have created the Ghost Bootable CD with USB support.  On some machines the USB HD is recognized and I am able to Ghost onto it.  On other machines I can see the USB HD but it is grayed out from being selected and is not listed in the drive list box to Ghost to.

I created the boot disk with the Universal USB drivers and booted successfully with it.  However when I load Ghost and I go to select a drive to image it says there are no Source Drives.  The HD in the computer is not found, nor the USB HD.  The USB HD is recognized when booting up however.

I am booting with diskette using a USB Floppy Drive.

Are there any suggestions regarding this.  Any advice would be great.

Thank you in advance,

Scott Lippmann

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #69 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 3:49pm

ScottLippmann

Quote:
I am using Ghost 8.3.  I have created the Ghost Bootable CD with USB support.

That's the most recent Corporate build of Ghost, if I'm not mistaken--correct me if I'm wrong--but I thought USB external HDD's were supported without loading separate USB DOS drivers when using Ghost 8.3.

Do all your systems support 320 GB HDD's--older BIOS's can have limitations at about 137 GB and maybe around 180 GB's--try a 120 GB HDD on those systems that are not showing the external and see if that solves the problem.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

ScottLippmann
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #70 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 3:58pm

It is the newest Coroporate build, you are correct.  It does indeed have USB drivers that you can use as well.  On the machines that the HD has worked on in Ghost eitherway worked fine.

On the machines that the USB HD won't work on from DOS none of the drivers seem to get it to work thus far.  Puzzling enough, per your statement regarding the size and BIOS, I have formatted a 6GB drive and placed it in the enclosure.  On the machines that the 320GB worked on it works.  On the machines that the 320GB wasn't working on the 6GB didn't work either, it stays greyed out in Ghost and I can't access it for use.

Scott Lippmann

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #71 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 5:14pm

ScottLippmann

Sounding more and more like the USB controller on that system is not compatible with the Ghost DOS USB driver(s).

The separate DOS USB driver that comes with the retail Ghost 2003 version shows limited compatibility--I don't know how much better the Ghost 8.3 built-in USB driver is.  But, you could try this third party USB DOS driver: 
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

You would have to start Ghost 8.3 with a switch to turn off its built in USB:

ghost.exe -nousb

And, you mention using a USB floppy disk--you may have to start the Panasonic USB DOS driver with a switch that prevents it from *resetting* all the USB devices when it loads:

Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v
/norst

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #72 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 8:03pm

Quote:
"... Sounding more like the USB controller on that system is not compatible with the Ghost DOS USB driver(s)..."

In light of your difficulties, I very much would like to see you reveal the USB host controller at issue (specs on the USB mass storage device controller would be lagniappe).  Here is an approach:

(1) go to Desktop and right click on My Computer;

(2) drop down to left click on Manage;

(3) in left pane, expand System Tools;

(4) in left pane, drop down to left click on Device Manager;

(5) for both USB controllers and mass storage devices in right pane, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers;

(6) for USB 2.0 controllers, focus on those lines containing either the abbreviation
'USB2'
or the word
'Enhanced'
;
(7) right click on any such lines that drop down, then left click on Properties;

(8) left click on the Details tab;

(9) left click on the dropdown menu containing Device Instance Id; and

(10) left click on
Hardware Ids
and carefully transcribe the last two lines in the window. To be overly generous, drop down two more lines and repeat for
Matching Device Id

The image below reveals the functional USB 2.0 controller on the Macally PHR-100A enclosure (note that on my Dell Dimension 8300, I have three
'Enhanced'
USB controllers listed - including the
poisonous
Intel 80281EB):

For my Dell Dimension 8100 desktop PC, I had to purchase a PCI-to-USB2 host adapter card to gain USB 2.0 capability (the NEC-compliant USB adapters seem to be the most DOS-friendly).

EP

IP Logged

ScottLippmann
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #73 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 7:27am

NightOwl,

Yes the USB Floppy that i tried was the one that you are pointing me to.  As per my original post when I try it Ghost does not find any drives on the computer that it can use as source.  I can't figure out why it would not be able to see the main hard drive let alone the usb hd that the boot disk finds no problem when loading.

El_Pescador,

I will check these out and post.

Thanks

ScottLippmann

IP Logged

ScottLippmann
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #74 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 10:25am

Okay.... here's my USB Info.

Host Controller:

Intel 82801FB/FBM USB2
Hardware ID:
PCI/VEN_8086

External HD USB Hardware ID:

USB/VID_152d&Pid_2338&Rev_0100
USB/VID_152d&Pid_2338

That's the stuff.  I checked the USB controllers on the two laptops that the drive did work in Ghost on and they both had Standard USB controllers 1.1.  The two laptops that it won't work on have the above specs and are USB 2.0.

Thanks in advance,

ScottLippmann

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print