Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Comparing HDDs - strange results (Read 140367 times)
Ian Dunster

Re: Comparing HDDs - strange results
Reply #30 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 8:35pm

When I bought and installed the mobile rack, the only option that worked was to use CS. Any other jumping and the computer didn´t boot, it didn´t detect the PM.

This sounds suspicious!

Do you have a proper Ultra ATA-capable 40 pin, 80 conductor cable with the blue (system board), black (master) and gray (slave) connectors? - if you are using a 'normal' (an all gray) ATA cable, then it won't work in ATA100.

Cable Select is known to be unreliable, so it is best not to use it - make sure that you have the proper ATA100 cable and then try jumper-ing the drives properly. I would try getting this right with only the Hitachi drive connected first - leave the others off for now.

Back tomorrow - I'm on GMT and it's 00:35 hrs! (I think Sweden must be on GMT+1)

Ian.  8)

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #31 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 4:39am

Yes, I have the 40-pin, 80-conductor cables. As a matter of fact, the "modern" round variant which should improve air circulation in the case but I don´t know about that. A degree maybe ......  Roll Eyes ...... but the scientists still debate whether it´s a degree Celsius or a degree Fahrenheit!
I use them because they are slightly longer. If I use the flat ones, one of them is stretched over its length and puts a mechanical stress on the connectors.

Cable Select only works with the 80-conductor cables which have one conductor grounded on the Slave connector but not on the Master connector. My devices have always been detected correctly on CS and since the computer doesn´t boot with any other jumping on the HDDs, it would be a dead end even trying.

When I was experimenting with different combinations of hardware on the controllers, to find out if Independent Device Timing was working with my motherboard, I drew the conclusion that I had used up all my luck for a while ......  8) ...... not breaking any connectors.

I´ll make one test, though, which will be to disconnect all other devices but the 7K250 and see what happens. As I mentioned earlier, I believe that it´s a problem with the software (Ghost), not the hardware.

Christer,
who will leave (almost) nothing untried

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Ian Dunster

Reply #32 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 8:22am

Hi Christer.

'the computer doesn´t boot with any other jumping on the HDDs'

This is NOT right! Can you try another cable, as if the machine cannot boot WITHOUT using Cable Select then somethings definitely wrong! - there may be a setting in the BIOS to disable CS.

Try using a flat cable with the drive jumpered and propped-up inside the case, so as not to strain the connections - If the PC still will not boot then it looks like you have a hardware problem (cable, drive or controller) - you must get the PC to boot using the jumpers before you can sort-out the speed problem.

Let us know what happens!

Ian  8)

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #33 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 8:33am

I have created and checked another Image, this one of a partition on the 60GXP.

A reminder of my partitions:

7K250 - C: - D: - E:

60GXP - F: - G:

This time I created an Image of F: to E: as well as G: with the results below:

Target partition E: - create in 10min 41sec at 136 MB/min - check in 9min 59sec at 145 MB/min

Target partition G: - create in 4min 14sec at 342 MB/min - check in 3min 43sec at 390 MB/min

The different Image gave slightly different rates but it definitely rules out the read-write theory (different HDDs or different partitions on the same HDD) and points towards either some unknown (to me at least) feature of the 7K250 or some bug in Ghost.

Maybe I´m lazy and/or stupid but I wont bother disemboweling the computer as You suggested, Ian, since I´m 99.99% certain of the outcome. As I mentioned before, I have powered off the 60GXP in the rack, leaving the 7K250 alone on the Primary, with the same results.

Christer

By the way, I started a thread (http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=14374) over at StorageReview (http://www.storagereview.com/index.html). A Guy over there was adamant on the read-write theory and that´s why I did the test to prove either him or me wrong.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #34 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 8:47am

Hi Ian!

We were typing at the same time but You hit the button sooner!

Quote:
This is NOT right!

Oh YES, it is!

When doing the experimenting on Independent Device Timing, I tried all combinstions of hardware, cables and jumping. No matter which cable was used, the Primary Master was only detected if it was jumpered as Cable Select. It was not detected jumpered as Master or "Force Slave Present".
The reason for trying FSP was the empty rack connected to the Primary Slave (I had not yet taken delivery of the new HDD at the time).

Maybe I´ll sit down and think about it. The HDD that wasn´t recognized as PM was the 60GXP. Maybe the 7K250 is different?
I wouldn´t think so but OK, I´ll give it a try!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Ian Dunster

Reply #35 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 9:21am

Hi Again!

No matter which cable was used, the Primary Master was only detected if it was jumpered as Cable Select. It was not detected jumpered as Master or "Force Slave Present

I still think this is NOT right!!

Any and every drive SHOULD work using the jumpers - I still think you have something wrong somewhere.

When you have the time (and feel like it!) disconnect ALL drives and then try it with just the Hitachi connected with a FLAT cable (i.e., NOT the cable you usually use) Check the BIOS to see if there is anything to do with CS and if so, DISABLE CS. Then you can start trying to find out why the drive only boots when using CS.

USING JUMPERS IS THE DEFAULT AND SO SHOULD ALWAYS WORK -  IN ADDITION, CABLE-SELECT IS KNOWN TO BE UNRELIABLE! (I'm NOT shouting here!  Smiley)

You can start by connecting the drive to IDE2 (as long as nothing else is connected, it will still be able to boot from IDE2) and see if it is a fault with the controller or motherboard.

You can also try clearing the BIOS and letting it detect the drive again (make a note of your BIOS settings and then power-off and take out the back-up battery - wait five minutes and then re-insert the battery, power-up and re-enter your BIOS settings - this will force a clean detection of your hardware, i.e. your drive.

From your first post it seems that the drive has been under-performing from the start - this may help.

Ian.  8)

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #36 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 10:52am

Ian,
while You were typing and posting, I was doing almost exactly as You suggest!

1)
I jumpered the 7K250 to Master and restarted the computer which booted OK.
Shut down and next, I removed the 60GXP physically from the rack and restarted the computer which booted OK.
Obviously there was something not quite right with the firmware on the 60GXP when that one didn´t boot jumpered to Master. (It only occured after connecting the empty rack to the Primary Slave connector.) The 60GXP has since received an updated version of the firmware but it will never again have an Operating System installed on it so, we will never know.

You were right that it was wrong but I was not wrong that it was right since it was a fact ......  Grin ...... !

2)
I physically disconnected all drives apart from the 7K250 and booted from the Ghost Boot Disks and ran a check ......  Cry ...... which was a slow as before, no change, not even a second quicker.

I did not dig out the old flat cable since I am 100% sure that there is nothing wrong with the ones that I use. Tried all combinations of hardware and cables when testing Independent Device Timing.

3)
Now on to the things I didn´t do:

Quote:
Check the BIOS to see if there is anything to do with CS and if so, DISABLE CS.

Doesn´t the DEVICE set it self to either Master or Slave, depending on which connector, when using Cable Select? I dont think that happens on the motherboard but I´ll shut down and restart to check.

Quote:
You can start by connecting the drive to IDE2 (as long as nothing else is connected, it will still be able to boot from IDE2) and see if it is a fault with the controller or motherboard.

Since the 60GXP worked OK on IDE1 as the single HDD (Master) on that controller and it still works OK on IDE1 as Slave to the 7K250, I think that I know the result of trying to connect it to IDE2

Quote:
You can also try clearing the BIOS and letting it detect the drive again ...

Well, that´s possibly the last stone to turn but it would mean getting down on the floor again ......  Angry ...... !
Since I don´t believe that it will work, I will probably have to sit down and reassure myself that it should be done, just to rule out the last (?) possibility.

Quote:
From your first post it seems that the drive has been under-performing from the start - this may help.

The drive performs as expected when Ghost is out of the picture. The AIDA32 benchmarks indicate that.

It is only when running Ghost that the performance gets crippled!

I can rerun the benchmarks and save the screens to post here.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #37 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 11:01am

If anyone is interested in the Rack-issue and Independent Device Timing, follow the links below to two threads on the Windows BBS (http://www.windowsbbs.com/)

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25654

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25915

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Ian Dunster

Reply #38 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 11:46am

Hi Again Christer.

I only mentioned changing the cable to see if it was the cause of the CS/jumper problem - obviously it now works OK!

It would appear that unless you have a fragmentation problem, then it must be as you say - a problem with Ghost itself. (with a much larger cache the Hitachi drive should be noticeably faster)

I wish I could remember where I had a Ghost Error Report, but I last got one over a year ago, (when I started using Ghost) and I can't remember how to get one! The error report would at least confirm that Ghost is using DMA.

I'll do a bit more thinking!

Ian  8)

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #39 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 12:48pm

Hi again, Ian!

I´ll have a look in the Ghost manual to see if anyting is said on this matter.

The promised Images (no, not the Ghost variant) below, there are some dips during Quick Linear Read and Buffered Read due to unknown interference. I only disconnected from Broadband and disabled Norton AntiVirus and Norton Personal Firewall. Probably should have been more thorough.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #40 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 2:38pm

From one of my earlier posts:

Quote:
One observation that I have failed to mention is that the time ticks down second by second when the 60GXP is at work but when the 7K250 is at work, it can pause for several seconds (5-10) and then it catches up.

That was when C: on the 7K250 had been imaged.

The latest Image I created was of F: on the 60GXP.
Now, when the Images are checked, the 60GXP stalls whereas the 7K250 runns smoothly.

I have stared at the screen and have come to the conclusion that when the checking is still on the first span (*.gho) then it ticks on by the second but it starts stalling as soon as it gets into the second span (*.ghs)

......  ??? ...... Christer ......  Undecided ......

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #41 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 4:09pm

Ian,
early in the discussion You provided a link to a Symantec webpage dealing with the GhstStat.txt which can be created to the floppy using the swith -dd. I´ve cut and pasted the relevant bit from mine:

Quote:
Drive 128 HDS722512VLAT80       VNR33EC3C9DR1K

Int 13h
Total Sectors     16450560
Bytes per Sector  512
MB                8032
Cylinders         1024
Heads             255
Sectors per Track 63

Extended Int 13h
Total Sectors     241254720
Bytes per Sector  512
MB                117800
Cylinders         16383
Heads             16
Sectors per Track 63

IDE using PIO
Bytes per Sector  512
MB                117800
Cylinders         65535
Heads             1
Sectors per Track 63

IDE using UDMA (Active)
Bytes per Sector  512
MB                117800
Cylinders         65535
Heads             1
Sectors per Track 63

Drive 129 IC35L040AVER07-0          SX0SXL17272

Int 13h
Total Sectors     16450560
Bytes per Sector  512
MB                8032
Cylinders         1024
Heads             255
Sectors per Track 63

Extended Int 13h
Total Sectors     80418240
Bytes per Sector  512
MB                39266
Cylinders         16383
Heads             16
Sectors per Track 63

IDE using PIO
Bytes per Sector  512
MB                39266
Cylinders         16383
Heads             16
Sectors per Track 63

IDE using UDMA (Active)
Bytes per Sector  512
MB                39266
Cylinders         16383
Heads             16
Sectors per Track 63

Since it says "IDE using UDMA (Active) for both drives, the whole situation becomes even more confusing!

The Symantec Descriptions are needed to understand the contents: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999090210274225?Open&src=&... and
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/1999021911433525

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Ian Dunster

Reply #42 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 5:01pm

Christer I have just noticed something from your 'GhstStat.txt' post.

Ghost is not using the 'Extended Int13h ' access method.

Try running Ghost with the 'GHOST -FFX' switch.

Let me know if it makes a difference!

Ian  8)

IP Logged

Ian Dunster

Reply #43 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 5:27pm

Premature post!!

I thought that Ghost needed to use that method as well as DMA, but they appear to be mutally exclusive!

The only thing I can now suggest is trying out the various switches that control the disk access method, and seeing if there is any difference.

Ian  ???

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #44 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 6:38pm

Ian,
I´ve tried these combinations:

-ffx

-fni -ffx

-fnx - ffi

-ffi (which is the default Ghost choice of its own)

The only thing that happens is that one Active substitutes the other. No change in performance, though.

I think it´s time for a chat with Symantec Support. That will, however, have to wait a while because I don´t want to start it now and leave for a week of holidays on friday evening.

But when I get back ......  Angry ......  Undecided ......  Lips Sealed ...... !

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print