Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost Dual-Boot (98SE/XP) Image Problem (Read 16549 times)
roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Re: Ghost Dual-Boot (98SE/XP) Image Problem
Reply #15 - May 11th, 2004 at 2:47pm

on: May 9th, 2004, 4:30pm, stormysdad wrote:
Quote:
About two weeks ago I started having random problems with the BIOS recognizing the Hard drive and when that would happen, I would resort to the freezer trick to get the machine to boot with no problem.

What is the "freezer trick"?

IP Logged

Stormysdad
N00b

Reply #16 - May 11th, 2004 at 8:13pm

When the BIOS can't see the HD, it can be a result of several things, one  of which can be a worn out boot sector on the disk, usually accompanied by cyclical clicking coming from the hard drive.  While I didn't feel this drive was old enough to be showing signs of heading south, it just wouldn't boot.  The freezer trick is to put the HD right in the freezer for a couple-three hours, then take it out, hook it up and fire her up.  The temperature change is enough to change the physical surface of the drive and 'voila' it boots.  Works like a champ, unless your drive had definitely gone south.  Even then it's a last chance thing to try to get the drive to boot one last time to try to save data.  BTW since I zeroed the drive and reloaded the image, the HD hasn't missed a beat except for XP not booting.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #17 - May 11th, 2004 at 9:41pm

Thanks Smiley stormysdad

BTW, who/what is stormy?

IP Logged

Stormysdad
N00b

Reply #18 - May 12th, 2004 at 4:57am

Stormy is a black cat we found as a kitten, abandoned in a hotel parking lot on a day with lots of storm activity (green skies, flooded parking lots, etc.).  He was cowering under a semi-tractor and according to the staff he had been hanging around a couple days and they couldn't catch him.  My wife, being the cat magnet she is, had him in 15 minutes, and the rest is history.  He has grown up to be quite a good looking cat, built like a brick s**thouse and a good cuddler.
Thanks everybody for your good suggestions, will try to implement them and try them out, it'll just take a little while.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #19 - May 12th, 2004 at 12:55pm

Stormy sounds like a wonderful addition to your family Cheesy

I like kitties... all sizes.

Years ago, I came within a half day of getting a newly born mt. lion kitten to raise... didn't even have its eyes open yet. The folks who found them didn't realize they needed to be fed every couple hours and they died.  Cry

Probably for the best  Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print