Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost's Bootable CD-No Mouse Support (Read 25088 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Ghost's Bootable CD-No Mouse Support
Jun 14th, 2004 at 1:38pm

To all

I have found that if I use Ghost's Windows interface to create a bootable CD with a Ghost image, if you watch the process, when your system boots into the 'virtual partition' to create the image, the mouse pointer is present and you can move it around while the image is being created.

But, when you boot the CD to do, say, an integrity check--no mouse support!  Have others noted that, or is it just my system?

I looked at the autoexec.bat file that's on the 'virtual A: drive' by doing a 'cd \' command at the A:\Ghost>_  prompt after quitting Ghost and no mouse.com command is there (actually, I had to change to the 'C:\Windows\Command' directory in order to type 'edit a:\autoexec.bat' in order to see what the autoexec.bat said).  Strange--Ghost creates the bootable CD with the mouse support enabled, but doesn't put mouse support on the CD!

Well, I noticed that the autoexec.bat has a path statement the includes 'C:\'.  So I put Mouse.com and Mouse.ini in the root directory of the 'C-drive'.  Use the Ghost bootable CD to boot up and Ghost automatically starts.  'Quit' Ghost.  And at the 'A:\Ghost> prompt, type Mouse.com, which loads the mouse, and then type Ghost and now you have mouse support under Ghost!

I wonder why Symantec left mouse support out of the bootable CD?  Certainly not critical, being as you can use the 'tab' key and the 'arrow' keys to move around, but......

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

lamer

Re: Ghost's Bootable CD-No Mouse Support
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 8:31pm

Is that mouse usb or ps2?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 8:35pm

lamer

PS2

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 8:46pm

NightOwl,

Not trying to get off the subject but you said
Quote:
being as you can use the 'tab' key and the 'arrow' keys to move around

I've tried every keystroke I could think of, but have yet to come up with one to make the drop-down menus actually "drop" so as to use the down arrow key.

Do you know how to do this without the mouse??

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 9:00pm

roxe

I think I know what you're asking...and if so, Yes!

When you use your arrow keys to get to the 'Source' drop-down box, the Ghost program defaults to highlighting the file below the drop-down box.  You have to 'tab' to change what's highlighted (the 'active' item) until it come to the drop-down box (the 'active' item first goes down to items lower on the page as you hit tab, and then works its way back up to the top--haven't tried, but might be able to use Shift-Tab to go up), and then use the 'down arrow' and the list drops down.  Continue to use the down arrow to scroll down through the list of drives and partitions.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 12:33am

NightOwl,

Hmmm... well, I've tabbed until that drop down box is highlited, and tried every key combo including just the arrow keys, but no luck for me Undecided

That's why I've made such a fuss over the mouse

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 1:33am

roxe

I'm assuming from what you said above that when you have mouse support using Ghost, you are able to click the item and the list box drops down. 

Just out of curiosity--is it a USB mouse or PS2 on your system?

So the 'tab' key works to change the 'active' item, but your down arrow doesn't cause the drop-down box to drop....another strange result.

Do your up and down arrow keys work for making your selections from Ghost's main start menu, i.e. can you move from 'Local' to 'Options' to 'Quit'?

Just a long shot...on my keyboard, if you turn off NumLock, then the number pad #8 becomes an up arrow key and the #2 becomes a down arrow key--any chance it responds to those keystrokes?

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 1:55pm

NightOwl,

Quote:
Just out of curiosity--is it a USB mouse or PS2 on your system?

PS2

Quote:
Do your up and down arrow keys work for making your selections from Ghost's main start menu, i.e. can you move from 'Local' to 'Options' to 'Quit'?

My arrow keys work for everything except making the drop menu drop.

Before I got mouse support, I put a folder with dos Ghost.exe in it on the drive where I wanted to put the images; used my 98se boot disk; at the a> would go to that folder and use Ghost from there. If I remember right, that drive was the ONLY one listed, so didn't need the menu drop.

As you say, Strange, eh Cheesy

Quote:
Just a long shot...on my keyboard, if you turn off NumLock, then the number pad #8 becomes an up arrow key and the #2 becomes a down arrow key--any chance it responds to those keystrokes?

Yeah, I have that on my keyboard too... will try it the next time I'm in Ghost and let you know.

IP Logged

Kaz

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 8:09pm

That's odd Roxe.

If i Tab into the drop down field and press the "Down" arrow I immediatly get a drop down field with all "detected" devices.

Tab - Changes fileds
Arrow keys - moves selections within fields
Return - chooses selection

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2004 at 9:32pm

Well, Kaz n all...

These machines LOVE to play practical jokes, right?? Cheesy

The last time I was in Ghost, I tabbed thru the fields until I was sure the drop box was hilited... used the down arrow key...

... and guess what??

Yep, it works  Shocked

I don't know how many times I've tried that very same thing and nothing would happen. I'm serious... NOTHING!!!

Makes a liar outta me every time Tongue

It's out to get me... paranoia strikes again Grin

IP Logged

kyle

Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 12:16am

you have to run the boot disk first.. coz mouse.com tries to write to the mouse.ini file if it has not booted up on the machine before.. thats why you getting that errir

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 11:09am

kyle

Thanks for the input.

But I am specifically talking about not using the DOS boot floppy route, but instead doing the imaging from within Windows where it re-boots into a 'virtual partition' to perform the Ghost operation and creating a bootable CD.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 11:17am

To all

Hey...no one has ever answered the question buried in my first post of this thread!

Have others out there used Ghost's Windows interface to create a bootable CD image, and find they have no mouse support when they boot the CD?---or is just my machine and setup?

Just curious.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #13 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 12:45am

NightOwl,

hmmm...

It just hit me that kyle might be onto something...

When I did my first floppies with the mouse.com and LOCKED them, there was a message(can't remember what now) and so I unlocked them... Looking at the files before and after, I noticed that a mouse.ini file was written to the floppy the first time it is used.

Here is what is in my mouse.ini file...

[mouse]
MouseType=PS2

Try putting a mouse.ini file on the CD...
and see what happens Cheesy

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #14 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 2:00am

roxe

I don't think you can go back and add mouse.ini after Ghost is done.  The disk is 'finalized', using CD-R's.

Plus, the autoexec.bat file does not have a load command for mouse.com and mouse.com is not on the CD either.

But if you do everything from DOS and pop in you boot floppy, everything is added to the CD that's on your boot floppy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print