Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MS Project  installation error (Read 6178 times)
xyz
Radmeister

Radified.com is great!

MS Project  installation error
Jun 16th, 2004 at 6:31pm

I don't remember exactly but somehow, I managed to mess up with the Windows XP Registry and as a result MS Office along with MS Project 2003 and One Note start crashing. I un-installed all of these applications and re-installed them. All went fine but when I attempted to install Project Professional 2003, it gave this error:

"Project Professional 2003 cannot be installed when another instance of Project Professional 2003 is already present. To install this copy of Project Professional 2003, first remove the previous instance of Project Professional 2003 using Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel."

I cann't remove it from Add/Remove Programs because it is already removed from there. I ran almost all well known Registry cleaning utilites including Norton WinDoctor, TuneUp Utilites 2004, Ashampoo WinOptimzer Platinum, Regvac, Regseeker, jv16 Power Tools but of no avail.

I manually searched the Registry for keywords like "Microsoft Project" and deleted the entries found with no success.
I searched the C: drive for any MS Project redundant entries and deleted them...still no success.
I searched Microsoft Knowledge Base for this error but could not find any matching results.

I am completely out of ideas. plz help.

Mubashar
&&&&
All delays are dangerous in war.

IP Logged

pj

Re: MS Project  installation error
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 8:12pm

have you tried uninstalling ms office also?

IP Logged

xyz
Radmeister

Radified.com is great!

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 7:50am

yes

Mubashar
&&&&

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 11:44am

xyz

Don't know if this will help, but you may have to dig down deep to find installation files for some programs.  Look here:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Installer

The file names are alpha-numeric and will not tell you what program they are associated with.  I use a freeware program called 'ListPlus' that will show you the actual file content which is usually unintelligable programing stuff.  But usually, somewhere in the file there is some readable 'text' that give you a clue as to what program they're related to.

(Look here for 'ListPlus':  http://www.buerg.com/index.htm)

I don't know if deleting the associated install file (if it's there) would help your situation.

Also, you might find something here:

C:\WINDOWS\INF

You may have to contact MS to find out how to 'reset' the system for reinstalling a program that's refusing to co-operate.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 3:22pm

try this:

http://radified.com/video/damn_pc.htm

it won't help you uninstall project, but you'll feel a whole lot better.  Smiley

IP Logged

xyz
Radmeister

Radified.com is great!

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 4:50pm

Thank you all for you support.
I eventually succeeded in fixing the problem. After trying every thing except the thing which I watched in that damn_pc video clip Wink (Thanks Rad), I discovered the "Windows Install Cleanup Utility" by Microsoft which solved the problem.

The link is:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Mubashar
&&&&

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 5:09pm

There's a valuable link. How did you ever find it?

IP Logged

xyz
Radmeister

Radified.com is great!

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2004 at 1:27pm

When I searched the Microsoft Support site for the keywords "Microsoft Project 2003 installation error", the 5th result was that useful link.

see here:

http://www.google.com.pk/search?q=microsoft+project+professional+2003+installati...

Mubashar
&&&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print