Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BIOS help (Read 15782 times)
Zur

BIOS help
Jun 19th, 2004 at 8:42pm

Sorry dont know quite know where to ask this, but I feel that the ppl here got alot of knowlege and might be able to help me or re-direct me to somewhere/someone that can help me.

I started up my computer, it looked for the Primary IDE's as HD's and CD-RoM's (it dont find the main HD) (I got several HD*s but they are connected through a IDE controler) I get the grey WIN 2000 "startup bar" (the one that comes right b4 the WIN 2000 real startup thingy starts) after the grey thing I get a bluscreen that says:

"
*** STOP: 0x000000A0 (0x00000011,0x00000007,0xEF1040C0,0c0100000A)
The ACPI BIOS in this system is not fully compliant with the ACPI specifications.
Please read the README.TXT for possible workarounds.
You can contact your system's manufacturer for an updated BIOS, or visit http://www.hardware-update.com to see if a new BIOS is available.

The BIOS is this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor or visit http://www.hardware-update.com for an updated BIOS.
If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup.
To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers.
The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continiue your installation.
"

I have tryed the F7 thing (I dont quite understand where I was to press F7, but I recon that it is while the computer is looking for the hard drives and such)  but nothing changed, and I stil got the blue screen.
Nor do I know what I was gona do when I had pressed the F7 key as I dident quite understand why the thing about that I could continiue the installation)

I dont know what to look for at that web page, not how to use what i'm looking for there or where to download*install it if that's what i'm to do.

Cant figure why this is happening as nothing has changed since the last time I used the computer and it was working.

(I have unpluged the HD's that was connected to the IDE-controller now and I stil get the same blue screen)

Why is this comming and how can i fix it?

plz help?

Btw.
BIOS Version 2.20.0.14

IP Logged

pj

Re: BIOS help
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 9:46pm

What main board manufacturer? 

What system? Who makes your computer?

New problem that just started? What did you do before this problem began?

IP Logged

Zur

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 10:51pm

Quote:
What main board manufacturer?  

What system? Who makes your computer?

New problem that just started? What did you do before this problem began?

Maindoard: AOpen
Product # AX59pro

System: Win 2000

Handpicked parts

New problem, never seen it b4, just came the other day.

Took out the hard drives and put them in another computer, ot copy the info on them. (not the 17GB that is the main disk(I think as I was not the one to take them out))

I have taken the 17 GB (the only one that is in there now as I dont want to crappity smack up the other disks just in worst case senario) into another computer and that disk is working on the other computer.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2004 at 2:00am

Zur

(ACPI) Advanced Configuration and Power Interface:

This has to do with power saving settings, hibernate, etc. and it requires that the BIOS support it in it's ability to talk to the hard drives, modems, network cards, etc. in order for your system to use these features.

Quote:
I have tryed the F7 thing (I dont quite understand where I was to press F7, but I recon that it is while the computer is looking for the hard drives and such) but nothing changed, and I stil got the blue screen.
Nor do I know what I was gona do when I had pressed the F7 key as I dident quite understand why the thing about that I could continiue the installation)

ACPI is set up at the time you install your OS (note--not talking about booting your system!--talking about 'installing' the OS).  Very early on during the install, you have the option to install special drivers that are not directly supported by the Windows OS like certain SCSI and RAID drivers--you press F6 to install these.  It's when you see the notice to 'Press F6' to install these special drivers that you can press F5 to get a list of different ACPI's that are available and you can manually select the one your system needs if Window's install program is not properly automatically detecting what your system needs. And if you know you do not want the ACPI installed, then pressing F7 (when it says to 'Press F6' to install the special drivers) forces Windows not to install ACPI even if your system is capable of APCI functions.

The error message is suggesting you re-install your OS, and unless you can correct the non-compliant status of your BIOS through a BIOS flash update, you should press F7 to force APCI to not be installed.

For some reason, your Win2000 thinks your system is no longer ACPI compliant, i.e. it does not support ACPI functions.  I have no clue why this might be if no changes have been made to the installed add-on cards, motherboard BIOS, or other components.  Perhaps there is a system configuration file that is read during bootup and is compared to what it expects to find on the system, and it has become corrupted.

Here's the million dollar question--do you have a Ghost image backup of your system drive.  If 'yes', you might want to copy it back to your main drive to see if it restores whatever has been corrupted.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Zur

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2004 at 9:36am

Lotsa stuff I dident wuite understand in your post there but thanks anyway   Grin

To anser your question, no... Sad (but you live and learn eh? so from now on I'll make sure to get my hands on Ghost imagin and do backups of the OS( I actualy got the maxtor one touch external hard drive (have just borowed it to a m8 that is at sea) but that got som sort of back up thingy for your OS or OS drive but ofcause I dident use that ether...)

But if I understand you right I can flash the BIOS (or reinstal the BIOS or instal a new version? If I can do this how to I aproach it?

-Zur

IP Logged

Malph

Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2004 at 10:23am

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2004 at 11:45am

Zur

Quote:
But if I understand you right I can flash the BIOS (or reinstal the BIOS or instal a new version? If I can do this how to I aproach it?

I did not mean you 'had' to flash the BIOS.  I was explaining what the error message was about and where you deal with that issue with the F7 keystroke.

Because your system had been working fine up to the point of the problem (I don't know how long that has been for you), that suggests that your BIOS was okay and Win2000 was happy with it too.  (Maybe it's the BIOS that has become corrupt and not a Windows configuration file.)

What I said as to why you're getting the error was:

Quote:
I have no clue why this might be...

And I do not know if simply flashing the BIOS will solve the problem.  It may be that you have to re-install your Windows OS so it re-detects the BIOS for compatibility.

But, if done correctly, flashing the BIOS is probably a good 1st step, to see if it helps.  You would have to search for specific instructions for your motherboard as to how to flash the BIOS, as they are different for each one.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Zur

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2004 at 4:16pm

Thanx for all the help this far!  Cheesy

So how do I flash the BIOS? What can go wrong? And what good does it do? - Just so i know for future reference.

Thanx again

IP Logged

Zur

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2004 at 4:21pm

It seems that the BIOS version i posted earlier was for the bus comtroller. It also says that:
"Award Plug&Play BIO extention V1.0A

IP Logged

Zur

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2004 at 5:45pm

Right.. heres an update.
I formatted the HD, tried to reinstall OS, when rebooting after copying files, there comes yet another Blue Screen error msg. Quite like the other one actually. It also surgests that I update the BIOS.
I downloaded this file: AX59P236.exe from ; http://download.aopen.com.tw/downloads/default.asp?Software=All&searchoption=key...

So what happened next is that i used a bootdisk and booted up, ran the AX59P236.exe.
Then a new window comes up telling me that the current flash ROM type is WINBOND 29C020/5V
Current version is V.R2.33

New (would be if i could select it!):
V.R2.36
New BIOS CKSUM: CFDDH

Then at the bottom is asks me to type y/n to accept. But i cant type anything...
So my question now is ;  Now what?

IP Logged

Zur

Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2004 at 6:56pm

I downloaded  amiflash.exe from http://download.aopen.com.tw/downloads/downloadsite.asp?RecNo=3200&Site=AOT&Publ... this file extracted amiflash.com
When I ran this I got the message that: "System BIOS does not have Flash support...

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2004 at 2:54am

Zur

I think 'ami' is a different BIOS maker than 'Award', so the 'amiflash.exe' is not for your motherboard if you have an 'Award' BIOS.

I think the 'AX59P236.exe' appeared to be the proper flash program for your motherboard, but you need to resolve the problem with the non-keyboard response.

You should see if you can post to an AOpen motherboard forum or tech support site for instructions on how to go about flashing your motherboard correctly.

You need to be certain of the exact motherboard you have, use the correct BIOS flashing utility for that motherboard,  have the correct BIOS version for that motherboard, and follow the correct steps involved.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print