Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 2003 can not read its own image (Read 16958 times)
Boris

Norton Ghost 2003 can not read its own image
Jul 9th, 2004 at 9:58am

Hello,

My Ghost can not read its own images... it always says "image seems to be corrupted", in DOS mode as well as windows mode.
I am using w2k with ntfs and a USB HDD.
I tried splitting the image in 500MB parts as well as using FAT32 and NTFS on the image drive - no success..
???
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much!
Boris

IP Logged

Natasha

Re: Norton Ghost 2003 can not read its own image
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 10:09am

what are you using to read the images?

have you performed integrity checks on the images in question?

what version of ghost?

have you used live update?

IP Logged

Boris

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 10:29am

Hi,
thank you for the fast reply!
I use the Ghost Explorer from Windows, and the option"check image after write" for the dos mode - neither works.

Windows and Ghost are both up do date with windows/live update.

Integrity Check? I think this is what I did with the dos-option. (I have to translate from the german version, so I don't know exactly hows it named in the english one)

IP Logged

mel

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 10:34am

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 12:14pm

Boris

Sounds like there is a compatibility problem with Ghost properly communicating with the HDD during image formation.

Have you tried having Ghost assign a drive letter to your USB drive?

Have you tried using MS-DOS vs PC-DOS?

Have you tried USB 1.1 vs 2.0 drivers?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Boris

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2004 at 3:14am

Hello,
I only tried starting Ghost from windows-wizard. I wanted to automate it for inexperienced users.
I will try to make a boot disk with the other dos-version, though, maybe this helps.
When I use USB 1.1 drivers, the HDD ist detected by the iomega drivers, but ghost can not access it afterwards (something like "your hdd is not accessible from here...)
Assigning a drive letter or not does not make any difference with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 drivers.
What I am wondering about is, since ghost does write the image, why does it write something it can not read afterwards? The file is there, it has different sizes depending on what has been backed up, but it seems corrupted. Never saw an applikaton writing something it can not read...

I have another problem that may be related:
When turning off the device in windows, the computer does not redetect it until the computer and the hdd have been completely shut down and turned off. Simply plugging it again, it will not even show up in the device manager. I installed new VIA drivers for USB without success.
???
Boris

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2004 at 12:24pm

Question 1:  Are your USB ports 2.0 or 1.1?

Question 2:  Are your USB ports routed directly off of your systemboard or are they routed through a PCI card adapter?

El Pescador

IP Logged

Boris

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2004 at 3:42pm

usb 2.0 on board ports.
at least the device manager says its USB 2.0

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2004 at 5:18pm

Boris

Sometimes I have found that using the device manager and removing a device (or devices as the case may be for USB) that is not functioning properly, rebooting and letting Windows re-detect the device and reinstall the drivers can solve a problem.

Worth a try?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2004 at 8:33pm

Quote:
... usb 2.0 on board ports...

Boris

First, generate a Ghost Disaster Recovery Disk without any USB or FireWire support whatsoever.  Then, try performing a Ghost BackUp of Drive C: onto an image somewhere on your external HDD, but decline all USB or FireWire support during the BackUp procedure.

Check your BIOS set-up to make sure your floppy drive (A:) is first in line while booting up, then reboot with the Disaster Recovery Disk in A: and ascertain whether or not you can successfully perform an Integrity Check on the image created.

If this routine fails, try again with  a Ghost Disaster Recovery Disk with USB 1.1 support, and allowing Drive Letter assignment.

CLICK HERE to view related posts.

El Pescador

IP Logged

doughboy

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2004 at 10:32pm

The drivers for usb 2.0 are contained in sp1 for wxp. after installing sp1, update you usb drivers. let windows find them on its own. see if that helps.

IP Logged

Boris

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2004 at 3:10am

thank you all for the replies...
I will do all of this as soon as possible (i have to do that kind of stuff while she is not working, and she works all day long...) and post what happened...
only wondering if booting without usb support will detect the drive anyway?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2004 at 11:00am

Quote:
... only wondering if booting without usb support will detect the drive anyway?

Boris
Quote:
... For my Dell Dimension 8300 with USB 2.0 ports on the systemboard running XP Professional, the only option that works during Ghost BackUp is no USB support...

previous post
Most definitely yes in my case; go to last post on the thread indicated below:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10773...

El Pescador

IP Logged

Boris

Reply #13 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 5:33am

Hi,
I finally got it working - all that was necessary was a BIOS update... After trying with Ghost and DriveImage on different computers with the same hdd, that was the only possibility left. But it's kind of wired, anyway, because all other files where readable without errors, only backup images were not.

After all, I think DriveImage is quite better than ghost, since it works when windows is running, without a need for restart, and you can easily schedule backups.
The Recovery environment works very well, too; it starts from cd.

Thank you all for your help.
Boris

Cheesy

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #14 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 7:22am

Quote:
... DriveImage is quite better than ghost, since it works when windows is running ...

I have looked around and asked around for an explanation on how it actually is done. When the questions below have been answered, I may believe in that a dependable Image is created:

1) In what condition is the open registry which is continually being written to?

2) In what condition is the operating system which has files, continously being written to?

3) In what condition are opened applications?

Even if these question get answered, I wouldn't create an Image of a running system. I can spare those five minutes and be sure that it gets it right ...... Lips Sealed ...... !

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print