Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 2003 can not read its own image (Read 16905 times)
Boris

Re: Norton Ghost 2003 can not read its own image
Reply #15 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 9:43am

I believe a snapshot of open files is taken and that is written to the image file.
That means, restoring the image is quite like a restart after sudden power-loss to your system - any cached operations will be lost.

So, it would not be a good idea to work with your SQL-Database (or any other application) while the image is beeing written, or some data may be lost. Anyway, its worse to loose the complete drive. (if an application performs updates on different,depending files you may run into problems)

Since you can schedule the backup, starting it when no one uses the system should work.

Some applications (like databases) my be stopped before performing the backup to ensurce consistency.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #16 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 10:00am

Hi Boris,
thanks for the information!

Since it takes some time to create the image, then the snapshots of the opened files are not taken at the same moment which means that they don't correspond exactly to eachother.

It obviously works but I don't frequent any DI forums and have not "heard" about the problems people might experience.

Is there an option in DI to create an Image from DOS, like in Ghost by the GBD's?

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Boris

Reply #17 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 10:34am

you can use DriveImage6 which is included in the package, since 7 does only support XP and 2000, but 6 does not support USB.
I don't think there is an offline-Option in 7, since even the rescue environment is some emergency-windows booted from cd.

The case you described may happen I believe, so I would suggest not using any application that uses the drive beeing backed up during that time.

Maybe the snapshot is taken at the beginning of the backup-process, reducing unsynchronized time to maybe a few seconds or less. At the end of the backup there is some"cleaning up" happening, which could be the removal of the temporary snapshots.

By the way, "True Image" uses snapshots, too.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #18 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 10:45am

Well, if it is recommended to not use the system while it is being imaged, then I fail to see what is gained by imaging a running system other than it being more "user friendly".

Ghost is adamant in NOT imaging a running system. Even when the operation is initiated from the Windows interface, the computer gets rebooted into DOS to carry out the operation itself and then restarted.

Ghost can create bootable CDs but I actually prefer having the images only on CDs and booting from the Ghost Boot Disks.

Feel free to call me an old geezer but I have never used a computer running PURE DOS as geezers older than me call it.
Ghost the Boot Disk way has never failed me and I trust it.

Christer
(who isn't on Symantecs pay roll)

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #19 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 12:03pm

Christer

Quote:
Feel free to call me an old geezer but I have never used a computer running PURE DOS as geezers older than me call it.

Not sure what you're trying to say here--when you boot from the Ghost floppy boot disks, you are using a computer running PURE DOS (aren't you?)!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #20 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 12:14pm

Hi NightOwl!

Yes, at that time I am running a computer in DOS and am using the comand line for specific Ghost commands.

However, what I meant by PURE DOS was using a computer with only DOS installed, pre anything Windows and that I haven't which makes me non-proficient in DOS commands.

It seems like a lot of people believe that a person must be a DOS-guru to use Ghost but that's not true. If I can ...... Wink ...... then anyone can!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print