Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost Explorer as a stand-alone Program (Read 8314 times)
jimshu1
Radmeister

Ghost Explorer as a stand-alone Program
Jul 15th, 2004 at 4:03pm

I am really not liking SystemWorks 2004.  I'm almost down to just wanting the Ghost program, and I don't even use the fancy Windows interface for it.  I use a boot CD to run Ghost.

My question is:  Can I completely uninstall SWP2004 and just run Ghost Explorer as a standalone .exe file (program)?  Or is there a bunch of registry entries?  Ghost Explorer is two files:

Ghostexp.exe
GhostExp.chm

All I really want out of SWP2004 is the Ghost.exe file I use in my boot CD and Ghost Explorer.  You already know I'll just buy Ghost next year.

-Windows XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2 b2600 w/all updates&&-ASUS CUSL2&&-PIII 1000EB FC-PGA2&&-DVD Drive: TOSHIBA 16X MODEL SD-M1712&&-CDRW: ASUS CRW-4816A

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Ghost Explorer as a stand-alone Program
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2004 at 4:49pm

Quote:
... I am really not liking SystemWorks 2004...

jimshu1
Since you are in a position to know, is it really true that the NSW 2004 Professional suite includes Ghost 2003, and is it Version/Build 793 ?

With my NSW 2003 Professional OEM CD, I can selectively install the components of the suite, so I think the answer is YES.  I think your best bet is to uninstall the entire package, then reinstall Ghost as a stand-alone.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2004 at 5:51pm

Quote:
I'm almost down to just wanting the Ghost program, and I don't even use the fancy Windows interface for it.

Well, in the current installation, create any set of Ghost Boot Disks that You anticipate to need (sooner or later) and don't reinstall.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

jimshu1
Radmeister

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2004 at 10:00pm

Thanks folks!

El_Pescador,

Yes, the latest Ghost.exe is 2003 b793.  At least, that is what I have.

You can selectively uninstall anything you want from SWP, but it still has a bunch of stuff installed.  I don't really want the whole ghost package anyway, never did, but SWP was the cheapest way to get Ghost.exe.

Christer,

I like to create my own custom boot CD to run Ghost from.  I include a big toolbox on it from many operating systems.  Yes, you do want to save whatever before axing SWP.

I now have my Ghost.exe from SWP and the Ghost Explorer .exe file, plus it's help file.  I completely uninstalled SWP, and I do mean completely.  Uninstall, Lots of registry cleaners, and a manual search of my hard disk (don't forget Documents and Settings | "every user" | in XP) and Registry.  Takes about a half hour, and registry cleaners help a bunch.  The manual check was:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001091013435207

No more SWP, or even a hint of it.  Ghost Explorer works fine as a standalone .exe program.

-Windows XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2 b2600 w/all updates&&-ASUS CUSL2&&-PIII 1000EB FC-PGA2&&-DVD Drive: TOSHIBA 16X MODEL SD-M1712&&-CDRW: ASUS CRW-4816A

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2004 at 10:57pm

KOOL !!!

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2004 at 4:27pm

jimshu1

As an alternative to not installing Norton SystemWorks, you can configure it to install and run only those components you wish.  You can control how much of the system it hogs and bogs down, and still have the utilities available when actually needed.  See here:

http://www.tweakhound.com/reviews/nswp2003/howtoinstall.htm

It also tells how to install only the Ghost portion of SystemWorks.  You still get the Norton SystemWorks shell interface installed--that allows you to use the update feature to make sure your Ghost programs are the latest versions, and you have the 'Options' menu item to configure the default settings used by Ghost.  But it does not appear to use any resources unless you call the program or keep the Ghost icon in your system tray.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

jimshu1
Radmeister

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2004 at 11:00pm

Thanks NightOwl !

Looks interesting and I've created a Favorite to that site.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print