Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help with ghost please (Read 7121 times)
littleman

help with ghost please
Jul 29th, 2004 at 1:39am

I have several problems and I think they are all ghosts fault, but I am not sure.

1.  When I copied my files to my dvdrw the first time It held about 200 mb more than when I reloaded them.

2.  When I try to copy the files to my dvd's it only copies about 10,000 of 12,000 currently used files why?

3.  When I check the "integrity" of the image in Ghost options it says they are corrupt even though I copied twice.

4.  On my dvdrw it has the files partitioned to dr0001-0005 but it says 0002-0005 are not ghost files?
any help is severly appreciated by the way I have already posted this on computer cops and they are stumped wawadave told me to post here!

IP Logged

ponchito

Re: help with ghost please
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2004 at 3:26am

1. not sure what you mean by this.
2. ghost does not copy all the files. some files, such as the page file, are created by windows upon each startup, so ghost doesn't waste space including them.
3. this is a problem. no telling what the problem might be. maybe try different media.
4. the others are *.ghs files. they are parts of the *.gho file.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2004 at 3:51am

littleman

Need a little more information:

Your OS?  Which Ghost version?  How are you doing your Ghosting--using Windows interface or booting to DOS from a floppy, etc?

1.  Quote:
It held about 200 mb more than when I reloaded them.

Dont know what you're trying to say here.

3.  Quote:
it says they are corrupt

All bets are off in answering your other questions if you do not have images that are not corrupt.  This indicates that there is a compatibility issue with Ghost and your hardware, or you may have a setting that is wrong.  Need more information.  How are you coming up with your other statements and questions if you have corrupt images?

4.  Quote:
but it says 0002-0005 are not ghost files

'Who' says this?  What's the error message and what are you doing when it says this?

2.  Quote:
it only copies about 10,000 of 12,000 currently used files why?

How are you arriving at those numbers--what have you done and where are you looking to evaluate this number?

Quoting from the 2003 Norton Ghost Users Guide, pages 69 and 70:

Quote:
Hibernation and swap files
When Norton Ghost creates image files or clones, it does not include hibernation
and swap files. These files are valid only for one Windows session, and when they
are included in an image file, they make it significantly larger.
Norton Ghost implements file skipping differently for each type of file system.
¡ FAT file systems: Files are not included on the image file or destination disk.
¡ NTFS file systems: A file with the same name is created on the image file or
destination disk, but the contents of the file are not copied.
The following files are skipped on all file systems:
¡ 386Spart.par
¡ Amizvsus.pmf
¡ Dos data.sf
¡ Ghost.dta
¡ Hiberfil.sys
¡ Hibrn8.dat
¡ Hybern8
¡ Navsysl.dat
¡ Navsysr.dat
¡ Pagefile.sys
¡ Pm_hiber.bin
¡ Save2dsk.bin
¡ Saveto.dsk
¡ Spart.par
¡ Swapper.dat
¡ Toshiber.dat
¡ Virtpart.dat
¡ Win386.swp

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

magicdust
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 4:04am

Windows XP home edition I have systemworks 2003 pro fully updated.  Windows interface.  I know it is only copying those because it tells you how many files are used in the screen where it copies them also i checked through my computer. 
When I try to open the files from ghost itself or my computer it tells me that 0002-0005 are not ghost files.  It also tells you how many Mb's are written on your disc when it is completed (or when you are trying to switch disks) The first tiem the dvd copied 6000 files the second time it copied about 5800

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 11:26am

magicdust

Quote:
It also tells you how many Mb's are written on your disc when it is completed (or when you are trying to switch disks) The first tiem the dvd copied 6000 files the second time it copied about 5800

In the first sentence, you're referring to MB's, and in the second sentence, you're referrring to number of files--not the same thing--apples and oranges.

I do not see a 'file' count listing anywhere while using Ghost's Windows interface to set up a Ghost backup image.  It does show an estimate of the number of MB's needed for the backup however.  And while Ghosting, it shows the MB's copied and the MB's left to copy--but, I do not recall seeing the number of files being copied.

I don't think you can open the Ghost image files individually in an image set.  You have to start with 'dr0001', and Ghost loads the additional files from the set as needed.  Can you go to Norton SystemWorks/Norton Ghost/Ghost Utilities/Norton Ghost Explorer?  Using Ghost Explorer, navigate to your 1st Ghost image file on your DVD, and open it.  Ghost Explorer may then ask you to put the last DVD in the drive if your image set spans more than one DVD, and Ghost Explorer may then ask you to identify the last image file of the image set on the last DVD.

You will now see all the 'files' that are in the Ghost image set.  You can compare that to the files on your hard drive to see if 'everything' is there.  Or you can compare the 'files' on the one image set that's 6000 vs the image set that's 5800.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

magicdust
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 10:56pm

I meant megabytes sorry, because a dvd that copies 6000 files would pretty much be worthless (unless they were incredibly huge!).  Strangly I have lost all contact with Ghost in windows I now can read it in DOS because I made a DOS boot disc.  However I tried to check the integrity there and it only recognizes the first cd (so we are half way there).  I must conclude that there are hidden files that are being copied to my DVD without knowing it because the storage limit changes.  In the screen it says MB's Copied and MB's remaining that is what I am using as a judge for the storage problem.   As we both know XP has a problem with hiding things to protect you from yourself and I hate that!!! Ty for help so far.

IP Logged

magicdust
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: help with ghost please UPDATE
Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2004 at 5:49am

Done! got it all to work but like before only with the dos interface I cannot seem to get the windows to configure right I guess who knows with ghost (I no longer like it).  TY for your time/posts there are however two other issues can you tell me the technical difference between +\- pertaining to recordable devices E.G.(CD+RW or CD-RW) that would be appreciated.  Also Housecall.TrendMicro.com I heard that if you run there free scan it it find and correct corrupt files on top of the known virus scanning is this true. TY.

IP Logged

mitch

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2004 at 2:42pm

CD's do not have +/- RW, only DVDs. If you do a search, there are hundreds of references to review.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print