Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stop Code 0x7E on New Dell Desktop (Read 6226 times)
DBragg
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Stop Code 0x7E on New Dell Desktop
Aug 12th, 2004 at 11:39am

I wanted to see if the stop code I saw is going to be a big problem.  I bought 2 Dell desktops a while ago.  They were configured almost identically.  I set up the one for the house a while ago and everything has worked fine.  I was using it as a test unit before setting up my husband's office system.

I unpacked the 2nd Dell this week.  All I hooked up was an old NEC multisync monitor, no other hardware (printer, network, etc.).  Next I loaded a store-bought version of Norton Ghost 2003 and made Ghost standard boot diskettes.  I have 2 hard drives on the system and use the 2nd one for backup.  I used the Ghost boot disks and saved images of drive 1.  The computer has a DVD writer and I backed up to DVD.

I rebooted to Windows XP Pro.  I decided to also save my Ghost files with the Sonic Record Now software that came with the Dell computer.  After doing this, I realized that the "verify after write" option was not on.  I went to the Command Prompt and ran the 'comp' command.  Everything checked out fine.  I also used the Ghost Explorer to look at the backup.  After all of this, I told Wndows to turn off the computer.  In trying to turn off, it came up with what I think is XP's version of the blue screen of death with lots of verbage.

The part that seemed significant was the following:

STOP code: 0x7E (oxC0000005, 0xEE751F21, 0xF8959C20, 0xF8959920)
It also mentioned the file tfsnifs.sys.  I looked and that file is in a number of folders including the Sonic one.
There was also the message: "Beginning  dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete."   There was no memory information on the screen.  I don't know if it is shown on the screen or is stored somewhere.

My main question is should I be worried that this message has happened on an essential new system.  It's not like I've loaded any wierd software or hardware.  I did try as close to the same sequence as possible again and did not see a problem.  Thanks for any input.

IP Logged

Freak

Re: Stop Code 0x7E on New Dell Desktop
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 2:08pm

I am most impressed by the part where you say "setting up my husband's office system". There's a lucky man. Smiley

If you could not reproduce the problem, then there are other factors involved, which we obviously don't know.

Since you connected no network, I assume you have un-upgraded versions of software, which could introduce problems.

You will eventually need to update that version of Ghost with Live update.

Burning DVDs remains a complicated endeavor (for the computer, not the user). You're more likely to generate an error burning DVDs than creating a MS Word document.

Possible avenues are updating mobo bios, flashing burner firmware, along with software updates, and Windows updates.

IP Logged

barryk

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2004 at 6:24pm

i have found if you get your hands on dell update BR77686.exe it will solve your problem  Grin

IP Logged

V Price

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 7:20pm

Hi barryk, I'm having the same problem, but my machine has no floppy drive so I can't run BR77686.exe.  Is there any other option?  Thanks!

IP Logged

Trev

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 6:46pm

I tried the BR77686 download and it made no difference to the same error.  However, with a bit of digging around on the internet I discovered that going to msconfig, startup tab and disabling tfswctrl would resolve the problem.  This is packet writing software from Hewlett Packard which enables direct writing to CD from within applications using MS Explorer, so it's probably rarely necessary and could be re-enabled when needed.

IP Logged

Max

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 6:51pm

Packet-writing software of any kind has ben known to generate problems. Remember DirectCD, from Adaptec, now Roxio?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print