Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Error: Image file not created with Norton Ghost (Read 4464 times)
Debbie Saunders

Error: Image file not created with Norton Ghost
Aug 16th, 2004 at 1:05am

I was having problems with my computer so I was told I had to restore my system to its original format which would erase all my data.

A CompUSA person recommended Ghost 2003.

I backed up my hard drive twice, and my husband backed his up once, and each time we got the same error at the end: Image file not created with Norton Ghost.  When I looked at the CD's there was lots of stuff on it, so I ignored the error and restored my system.

When I tried to get my data back, actually I had a CompUSA tech do it for me, Ghost could not read any my data.  Apparently, all my data is there on the CD's, but one file is missing on each set, I guess the image file, they said it was a tag file at the end, so Ghost can't read any of my data. 

We talked with Symantec techs and finally got to someone who said it's a bug.  They said in Oct of 2003 they will have a new version out with the bug fixed, then it was Jan '04, then June, then August.  I've been without all my data for over a year now.

Does anyone know how to fix this?  Maybe add an image file somehow so Ghost can read my backup?

I read  a response to topic: "Ghost 2003 won't recognize a drive", by J Houson, the 7th response: http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10899... (I can't find the topic by searchin through this website, only by the link from a different site).  He gave a solution to the problem, but I'm not sure if the solution was how not to get the error in the first place, or how to fix the backup once you got the error so Ghost can read it.

If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it more than I can communicate!

IP Logged

Arc-light

Re: Error: Image file not created with Norton Ghos
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 4:04am

So you created an image of you hard drive to a CD and now you can't read the CD?

Does <a href="http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/...">this</a> help?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 4:43am

Debbie Saunders

Try the solution you reference in your first post.

I have also seen success by using the Win98se boot disk or WinME boot disk and then running Ghost by having put a copy of Ghost.exe in the C:\ root directory and changing to that drive, or by putting a floppy disk with Ghost on it in the floppy A: drive and running it from there after booting the system with the Win98se or ME boot disk.

Also, creating the DOS floppy boot disk using Ghost's Boot Disk Wizard to create a boot disk with generic CD/DVD support has also worked for some.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 5:44am

Debbie,
how did You create the image?

Direct to CDs or to a different partition on the harddisk and then copied to CDs using Nero or any other program?

What are the file names, are all *.gho or the first *.gho and the rest *.ghs?

If direct to CDs (all file names *.gho), then I have no answer but  if You copied to CDs (first file name *.gho and the rest *.ghs), then this may be the cause:

If You use standard (one floppy) Ghost Boot Disks, then Ghost can read images copied to CDs but can't use them. The "not created by Ghost" message refers to the "direct to CDs" creation.

If You create Ghost Boot Disks (a set of two floppies) with CD/DVD support, then the copied CDs can be read and used.

I have myself made that mistake but maybe Your issue is different.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print