Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SystemWorks 2003 cab files (Read 3165 times)
jc

SystemWorks 2003 cab files
Aug 26th, 2004 at 4:03pm

Hey I just noticed something pretty flaky in Norton Systemworks 2003. Smiley

My Windows 2000 SP4 installation complained of an integrity problem when I rebooted this morning, so I rebooted again and it ran chkdsk automatically to help me out - yeah, it aced the contents of SDOptions.dll. (Yes there's just nothing like the wonderful NT file system). At any rate, SDOptions.dll is used by Norton, so now I'm getting a bogus little dialog box any time I reboot or exit W2K "nopdb.exe Bad Image...Speed Disk\SDOptions.dll". OK, I look for the file in Explorer, sure enough it's showing up with a 0 byte size.

So, it makes sense I should be able to find the file on my SystemWorks 2003 CD and just copy it to my hard drive. Noooo, the cab files on the SystemWorks CD under the Norton Utilities Section won't open. Winzip complains saying it's not in the standard cab format.

Symantec's "Knowledge Base" had zero about it. Has anyone else here run into this? Is there a workaround (some special program you have to use to extract from these nonstandard cab's or something)?

Here's what I did to quick fix this. I installed Ghost (normally I don't keep this installed on my hard drive as I just use it from boot floppies), and used Ghost Explorer to grab SDOptions.dll from one of my Ghost images. This worked of course, but I still think it should be possible to extract files from my master SystemWorks 2003 CD.

On another note, I'm going experiment with running Ghostexp.exe standalone (an earlier thread in this forum talks about this) so if I get stuck again I won't have to install Ghost into Windows.

IP Logged

jam

Re: SystemWorks 2003 cab files
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 4:55pm

Clever solution. I probably would have tried a few other acrchivers first.

IP Logged

Hector

Re: SystemWorks 2003 cab files
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 4:58pm

I would be more concerned about why the file was corrupted. And if there are any others you don't know about. Maybe the disk is getting old. Have you run any disk utilities lately?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print