Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
Send Topic Print
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More! (Read 645223 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!
Reply #120 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 10:50am

lost soul

Your question lacks details--what have you tried so far and where are you having a problem?

You might want to consider starting a new thread topic if it involves issues not directly related to this thread about the Panasonic DOS USB drivers.

You can find reference to using a USB optical drive in one of the original references in this thread:

Yes, there are USB drivers for DOS...

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #121 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 2:13pm

One way to avoid USB issues in DOS is to avoid the use of DOS.  Some readers of this thread may benefit by considering the use of the Windows-based version of Ghost 2003 (GHOST32.EXE) operating either from within Windows or from within BartPE.

See the thread “Ghost 10.0:  Restore Ghost 2003 Images” (http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11271...) for additional details.

IP Logged

pbnj130
Ex Member

Reply #122 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 3:45pm

Raul and NightOwl,

I created a disk image, and did not do a restore. I also thought it was weird that the image creation process would modify something. I have since called Dell Support and used the Dell System Restore utility to roll back 1 week. I'm hoping that will stop the Blue Screens. I will definitely read the info you have provided though, as it is good to know exactly what Dell puts into these things. Thank you for the info.

I've decided it's probably best not to try anything else on the laptop until I can get a WinXP machine of my own to play with. That way I can have a staging machine where I can try stuff out.

BTW, I made a correction to my previous post. It said "Windows is managing this device", not "This device is not installed".

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #123 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 11:18pm

Pleonasm

Minor clarification--*Ghost32.exe* is the Corporate version of Ghost--Ghost 8.x--cousin to Ghost 2003.  One will only have that option if they have the Corporate version of Ghost.

RESTOREGHOST.EXE
* comes with Ghost 9.x (and presumably Ghost 10.x when released)--but you have to have Ghost 9.x or 10.x if you want to use that option--it is found on the Ghost 9.x *Recovery Disc*.  It is a *crippled* version of Ghost 8.x that can only be used to restore an image, but not create a backup image.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

uwebowe

Reply #124 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 7:40am

NightOwl wrote on Sep 16th, 2005 at 10:44am:
uwebowe

I'm thinking that you have tried two *enclosure* type USB HDD setups that are not compatible with the DOS drivers.

Next step is to try either a purpose built USB HDD and/or other enclosure USB kit that is known to work successfully on a system (any system!) to see if it works on your laptop.  

You need to try a known compatible USB HDD setup to confirm where the problem lies at this point.

It's really frustrating when components don't seem to have the compatibility that you would expect!

yes NightOwl, im still at this....
well, i havent really made some efforts to solve my problem since my last post.....a bit preoccupied

anyway, i just thought of an idea and please help if it is advisable

now, from what i read, it is not advisable to ghost your internal hard drive to an external hd while you are at windows, right?

then, what if i pull out my internal hard drive (which i want to ghost), load it to another PC thru my USB enclosure
then run ghost while at Windows and ghost this external HD to the internal HD of the PC (probably the ghosted HD will be located on a separate directory?)
then, afterwhich, i disconnect the ghosted external USB HD, connect a new HD, then ghost back the previously ghosted HD to the new HD...

did you get what I mean?

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #125 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 9:42am

NightOwl, concerning your Reply #123, you are correct:  it is necessary to have a "corporate Ghost 2003" (i.e., "Symantec Ghost Solution Suite") license to obtain GHOST32.EXE and thereby run "Ghost 2003" in Windows.  It may be purchased from the "Enterprise Store" on the Symantec website for US$39.20/license - but, unfortunately, Symantec does not appear to sell these licenses in quantities smaller than 10.

I also noticed that Symantec no longer even displays "corporate Ghost 2003" as a product option - see:
http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/content/productlink.cfm. ; Looks like "corporate Ghost 2003" is disappearing fast, so those who are interested may want to buy soon . . . .

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #126 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 11:05am

Pleonasm

Terminology is *everything* when it comes to computers  Wink -- and I think you are mixing *apples and oranges*!

I do not believe there is a *corporate Ghost 2003*.  Corporate Ghost is Ghost 8.xx, and is a close *cousin* of Ghost 2003.

The interface of the two versions appear very similar, but the capabilities vary.

So you have to have Corporate Ghost 8.xx in order to get *Ghost32.exe* that will run Ghost 8.xx in Windows.  Ghost 8.xx can create and restore Ghost images while booted to Windows--but probably can only do that to non-OS partitions--but, I'm guessing on that one.

Ghost 2003 has a Windows interface that can be installed and run in Windows--but it can not perform any Ghost image creation or restoration unless it shuts down Windows and re-boots to DOS.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #127 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 2:01pm

NightOwl, my intent was to keep the verbiage user-friendly  Smiley and to help ‘translate’ between the retail and corporate environments, but perhaps I did not succeed and inadvertently created confusion.  By "corporate Ghost 2003" (the use of quotes was intentional) I do indeed mean Ghost 8 which is sold under the label Symantec Ghost Solution Suite.  I understand that Ghost 8 is not identical to Ghost 2003, but for all practical purposes the two can be considered “essentially equivalent” in terms of major functionality.  (As you noted, the former does contain the GHOST32.EXE executable that runs in Windows - thereby yielding a Windows-based version of Ghost 2003, roughly speaking.)

In contrast, the Windows interface to Ghost 2003 is just that – a Windows-based mechanism to ease the burden of “dropping to DOS” to run Ghost 2003.  Whether launched via Windows or directly from DOS, the identical product - Ghost 2003 – runs in DOS.  Strictly speaking, the Windows interface to Ghost 2003 is not an interactive Windows front-end to Ghost 2003 per se – it is, rather, a Windows interface to a mechanism to launch Ghost 2003 in DOS.  That’s a big difference, but one that should be commonly understood.

IP Logged

Rockdrala

Reply #128 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 8:43am

The Hidden Partition on your dell is used to restore a Factory Install Image in case we ever had to put the Computer back to defaults during repair.

The program us dell techs used was called ZZTOP.exe you will find it in the CDENAB Boot Disk download off of Dells FTP server in the Utilities Directory at ftp://ftp.dell.com

Will Someone post a download link to their created Boot Cd or Floppy...thnx

Ex Dell Tech

Now Area 51 I.T. Admin/Staff

http://support.studio505.net
http://area51portal.com

IP Logged

DonB

Reply #129 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 4:57pm

Quote:
Hi all,

First time posting, just wanted to thank all the moderators for the great work & info.

I have recently used nightOwl's Panasonic drivers on my wife's Dell WinXP SP2 laptop to do a Disk Image. I was able to create the image, and successfully verified the image (for specs and transfer speed, see below). However, when I booted it up, my wife noticed that the wireless network settings that were previously saved, are now gone. I verified this, as I had to re-enter my wifi network's WEP key to reconnect to my home network.

In addition, she also noticed that when she mouses over the wifi mgr icon in the system tray, it says "Windows is managing this device" and the icon is white instead of the usual green.

Today (3 days after the disk image) she called me from school and said she got a blue screen. Rebooted and it looked to be ok. I'll have to wait til she gets home to check it.

When I created the Disk Image, I saw that there was a Dell partition that I did not know existed. I wonder if this is where they store the config data and somehow this was not copied over entirely?

I realize that this would be strange for a computer to be modified b/c of CREATING an image, not RESTORING an image, but I thought I would check in case. It's important for the laptop to stay up as we're in the thick of 1st year law school (which is why I created the ghost image in the first place! Smiley ) so I didn't want to try anything else without doing some research first.

I tried searching for answers to the above, but got nowhere, so was wondering if any of the moderators/posters with their wealth of knowledge might have heard something like this. Thanks for any assistance!

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 600m Laptop w/ WinXP SP2
40 GB HD, ~10 GB used

External USB HD: USB 2.0 80GB Maxtor Personal Storage 3100
Transfer speed: ~333 MB/min

IP Logged

GhostFan

Reply #130 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 9:49pm

Do any USB 2.0 drivers for DOS & Ghost 2003 allow you to access more than one partition ( multiple partitions ) on the USB 2.0 external hard disk Drive?  If yes, could you please post the sections of CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT that apply.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #131 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 10:04pm

GhostFan

The DOS USB drivers should allow you to access all DOS based partitions on a USB HDD--FAT16, FAT32--but DOS can not *see* NTFS partitions on any HDD.

There are DOS *tools* for reading NTFS partitions--but those are not the USB drivers.  I have not used these, but I assume they must also *see* those NTFS partitions--and would *see* them on a USB HDD that is accessed using the DOS USB HDD drivers.

IP Logged

GhostFan

Reply #132 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 10:16pm

I tried the Iomega driver for USB 2.0 that comes with Ghost 2003 and I was only able to see the first of my two fat32 partitions on the USB 2.0 external hard disk drive.  I may not have implemented it correctly in config.sys and autoexec.bat for 2 partitions.  I just used the standard format that is written when you create the floppies for USB 2.0 support.  aspiehci.sys /int /all in config.sys and guest.exe in autoexec.bat

In a strange twist, when I changed partition number one to be ntfs, Ghost 2003 could see the first NTFS partition with no drive letter and assigned a drive letter to the second partition which was fat32.

Am I missing something in config.sys and autoexec.bat or should I just abandon the Iomega driver and try the Panasonic driver that is talked about in this thread?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #133 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 11:18pm

GhostFan

Quote:
I tried the Iomega driver for USB 2.0 that comes with Ghost 2003 and I was only able to see the first of my two fat32 partitions on the USB 2.0 external hard disk drive.

I have to suspect there is an issue with how the USB HDD was partitioned--or a compatibilty issue--that is causing a problem with DOS *seeing* the second partition.

I've not had problems *seeing* all the USB HDD partitions using Ghost's USB DOS drivers with my USB HDD, but I suspect there are compatibility issues with some hardware--especially enclosure kit type USB units.  I do remember using another DOS USB driver called *Duse* where only the first partition would be assigned a drive letter in DOS.  That's why I moved on to the *Panasonic DOS USB drivers*.

Quote:
when I changed partition number one to be ntfs, Ghost 2003 could see the first NTFS partition with no drive letter and assigned a drive letter to the second partition which was fat32

Ghost 2003 will *see* and can access NTFS partitions from within Ghost's interface, but NTFS partitions will be assigned a *drive # : partition #*--so something like 2:1, 2:2 or 3:1, 3:2, etc., depending on how many HDD's are present on the system.

Again, the fact that the 2nd partition now got a drive letter in DOS, suggests that DOS is not really *seeing* the HDD partition structure correctly--an incompatibility issue most likely between software and hardware.

Quote:
Am I missing something in config.sys and autoexec.bat or should I just abandon the Iomega driver and try the Panasonic driver that is talked about in this thread?

I doubt you are missing anything--try something else!

IP Logged

GhostFan

Reply #134 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 11:35pm

Thank you for your replies NightOwl.  I appreciate having someone out there in the cyberworld to help me.

My USB 2.0 External Drive is a Western Digital 40GB 8MB Cache 7200 RPM drive in an enclosure that uses the Cypress AT2 bridge circuit.

The formatting was done by Windows 2000 SP4 Disk Management.  2 nearly equal size partitions were created.

The NTFS partition was assigned 2:1 as you suspected.

Guest.exe does seem to assign a single letter to the drive despite there being two fat32 partitions.

I guess I'll try the Panasonic driver talked about in this thread.

Lest anyone think I'm making problems for myself, I will say that having more than one partition saved me from losing important data when I accidently clobbered one of the partitions by choosing the wrong drive.  My data was on the other partition and was still safe after my goof.  Never put all the eggs in one basket, unless you like em scrambled. Smiley

Thank you.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
Send Topic Print