Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Send Topic Print
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More! (Read 645566 times)
usb mouse help

Re: A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!
Reply #180 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 1:38pm

has anyone found a way to make the USB Mouse and Keyboard work when using the aspiehci.sys driver?  I can get it to work with I REM out the line in config.sys and my drive is still detected but I don't think it makes the controller USB2.0 but rather 1.1.  I maybe incorrect, does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S USBaspi.sys does not work for my external HDD

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #181 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 2:39pm

Quote:
"... has anyone found a way to make the USB Mouse and Keyboard work when using the aspiehci.sys driver?..."

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10954...

Quote:
"... P.S. USBaspi.sys does not work for my external HDD..."

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11219...

If you are having difficulty with an USB external HDD when working with Norton Ghost 2003, then you have indeed come to the right place!

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Anthony D

Reply #182 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 10:27pm

Hey guys, I have been reading through this thread in hopes of finding a resolution for solving my problem.

I am trying to allow the Ghost.exe in DOS to recognize my external USB HD. I followed the instructions from the beginning and this is what I have:

Quote:
[autoexec.bat]
rem :My USB HDD is drive 'f', if you wish, you will have to change this
rem :in your path statement to match your USB HDD drive letter
path=a:\;c:\;f:\;
mouse.com
rem :Type 'rem' and a space in front of 'ghost' below
rem :if you do not want ghost to automatically load on bootup
rem :ghost

[config.sys]
Device=himem.sys
rem :The following line loads Panasonic's universal USB-controller driver
rem :those are spaces between the file name and each of the switches
rem :The '/e' switch forces USB 2.0 only, remove for USB 1.x also
Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v
rem :The following is an aspi mass storage driver for usb-connected HDD's
rem :and compactflash memory cards
rem :The 'Motto Hairu USB Driver'
Device=di1000dd.sys
Dos=high,umb
Lastdrive=z

My floppy disk has the following files:

autoexec.exe
config.sys
command.com
io.sys
msdos.sys
mouse.com
mouse.ini
usbaspi.sys
di1000dd.sys

when I boot the desktop using the bootdisk the following occurs:
Quote:
1.) MS DOS starts...
2.) Himem memory loads....
3.) ... Scanning USB Devices ....
4.) Target USB Device Not Found
5.) ASPI Manager Not Installed
6.) Mouse Driver Installed

Can anyone tell what I am doing wrong here? I am not sure what the problem is. Has anyone created and zipped the bootdisk for download? If not, how about a bootable CD-ROM made downloadable into an ISO file?

Please offer any help you can, I greatly appreciate it =)

Anthony

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #183 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 11:13pm

Anthony D

Compatibility with USB HDD's in DOS is a hit or miss issue, so solutions are not always available, but....

What version of the Panasonic USB DOS driver (usbaspi.sys)  are you using?  There are three out there:

v2.06
, size=37,903, dated 11/26/2002

v2.15
, size=39,093, dated 10/26/2003

v2.20
, size=39,179, dated 11/07/2004

After clicking on the downloaded *.exe* file which extracts the enclosed files, you will find the *Usbaspi.sys* file in the *F2h* sub-directory.

Are both your USB HDD, and your USB controller USB 2.0?

I presume it's hooked up and powered on while booting?

Here's how to make your own bootable optical disc with, or without a floppy drive present:

Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive

and adding USB to the bootable optical disc:

Adding USB to Ghost Boot CD

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Anthony D

Reply #184 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 11:12am

Hey NightOwl, thanks for the quick reply!

I am using v2.06 usbaspi.sys driver. I know the HD is 2.0 compatible but I am not sure about the controller on the computer. The machine is about 1.5 years old so it may be. I would like to have both drivers for 1.1 and 2.0 on the CD...just in case I ever need them for another machine.

Yes the HD is plugged in and powered on prior to booting the computer up.

I don't suppose there is an ISO image of your bootable CD-ROM including the USB drivers needed? I have read through the tutorial you linked and seem to be confused on some things. I will go thorugh it once or twice more and try to figure out what I am confused on.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #185 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 11:26am

Anthony D

Quote:
I would like to have both drivers for 1.1 and 2.0 on the CD...just in case I ever need them for another machine.

Actually, the Panasonic DOS USB driver supports both USB 1.x and 2.0.  In the *autoexec.bat* where it loads the *usbaspi.sys* file--simple remove the */e* switch--that is telling the driver to mount USB 2.0 only--removing it will allow the driver to mount both USB 1.x and 2.0:

Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v

Sorry, but I do not have an *iso*--I've never played with that as of yet--I have to figure out how a person can *inject* their copy of copyrighted program(s) such as *ghost.exe* into the *iso* that contains all the other files.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Anthony D

Reply #186 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 12:11pm

I have Norton 2003 and symantec ghost solution suite 8.3 at work, not at home with me.

I have started over following the instructions "Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive". I only need the ghost.exe but I will have to wait until Monday.

I will create the image and proceed to "Adding USB to Ghost Boot CD" then.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Anthony D

Reply #187 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 12:20pm

After having finished the "Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive",  I am unclear how to edit what is already their when "Adding USB to Ghost Boot CD".

Do I delete what I already edited in the config and autoexec files or do I add to them? After the "Adding USB to Ghost Boot CD" steps are finished what should my config.sys and autoexec.bat files look like?

I think Im getting confused somewhere between the two links you posted.... ???

IP Logged

Anthony D

Reply #188 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 12:36pm

Ok, sorry for many postings but here is what I have currently:

config.sys
Quote:
Device=usbaspi.sys /v 
Device=di1000dd.sys
device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
device=aspi1394.sys /int /all
lastdrive=z

autoexec.bat
Quote:
path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v
guest.exe
ghost.exe

Files inside "C:\Bootable CD Project\Extracted Files":
Quote:
autoexec.bat
command
config.sys
di1000dd
EBD.cab
IO.sys
mouse
mscdex
msdos
oakcdrom
Usbaspi

I still need to get the ghost.exe, aspi1394.sys, and guest.exe from Norton's program files directory. I will copy all three into the "C:\Bootable CD Project\Extracted Files" directory and burn the CD-ROM using Roxio.

Is this all correct? By performing the above, will I have support for USB 1.1 and 2.0 as well as Firewire?

IP Logged

Anthonyd
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pennsylvania

Reply #189 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 7:29am

Ok, I decided to register to the forum. Please ignore my previous posts Grin

I was able to remote in to work and retrieve the ghost.exe file. However, I could not find the aspi1394.sys & guest.exe files in the  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\common directory. I will have to look more tomorrow.

Anyhow, after adding the ghost.exe I now have this:

config.sys Quote:
Device=usbaspi.sys /v 
Device=di1000dd.sys
lastdrive=zp

autoexec.bat Quote:
mouse.com
guest.exe 
ghost.exe

Files inside "C:\Bootable CD Project\Extracted Files" Quote:
autoexec.bat
command
config.sys
di1000dd
EBD.cab
ghost.exe
IO.sys
mouse
mscdex
msdos
oakcdrom
Usbaspi

Does it all look good?

32190648 Anthonyjd81@hotmail.com anthonyjd81  
IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #190 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 9:44pm

Anthonyd

I have never done this before, so because I recently got an enclosure kit that allows for both USB or Firewire, I threw together a boot floppy with both the Panasonic USB DOS drivers and the Ghost Firewire drivers.  Hooked up one USB HDD and the other Firewire enclosure kit HDD--

After some tweaking, it worked!

Quote:
Does it all look good?

First off--you will have to understand that when you load as many different drivers as you are loading, i.e. optical DOS drivers, USB DOS drivers, and Firewire DOS drivers, you will run out of room on a 1.44 MB boot disk or optical boot sector on optical media--and will not be able to have *ghost.exe* on the same disk.  I put the *ghost.exe* on a second floppy disk.

Quote:

Device=usbaspi.sys /v   
Device=di1000dd.sys
lastdrive=zp

I have to put the *oakcdrom.sys* first before the Panasonic drivers on my system or I get memory conflict problems--may not effect your system however.

Last drive should not be *zp*, but *z*.

Quote:
autoexec.bat
command
config.sys
di1000dd
EBD.cab

ghost.exe
IO.sys
mouse
mscdex
msdos
oakcdrom
Usbaspi
mouse.ini

*EBD.cab* does not belong in the list of files.  If you are using a floppy disk, *mouse.ini* will probably be created and saved to the floppy disk the first time you boot--but, if creating a bootable optical media--then you have to add *mouse.ini* manually before burning the boot sector image to optical disc.  You can simply open *Notepad* and add the following two lines:

[mouse]
MouseType=PS2

And then *save as* *mouse.ini*.

Quote:
mouse.com
guest.exe 
rem  ghost.exe

Because you can not fit *ghost.exe* on the same boot disk as the boot files, best to *rem* (remark--forces boot file to ignore the line as a *remark*, i.e. a comment of information about how the file is structured, etc.) out the last line.  After booting, remove boot floppy, and put in separate floppy with just *ghost.exe* on it--type *ghost.exe* at the A:\ prompt.

IP Logged

Anthonyd
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pennsylvania

Reply #191 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 8:13am

I created the CD image using WinImage and burned it to CD-RW using Roxio. Here is what is on the CD-ROM:

CD-ROM
Quote:
aspi1394.sys
aspiehci.sys
autoexec.bat
command.com
config.sys
di1000dd.sys
guest.exe
io.sys
mouse.com
mouse.ini
mscdex.exe
mdsos.sys
oakcdrom.sys
Usaspi.sys

Floppy Disk
Quote:
ghost.exe

autoexec.bat
Quote:
mouse.com
guest.exe
rem ghost.exe

config.sys
Quote:
Device=usbaspi.sys /v 
Device=di1000dd.sys
Device=aspiehci.sys
lastdrive=z

I am getting a "invalid boot diskette" when it loads the cd-rom. It asks me to insert the floppy disk. I load the floppy, press enter and it says boot disk failure.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #192 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 10:25am

Anthonyd

Quote:
I am getting a "invalid boot diskette" when it loads the cd-rom.

This means that the CD-RW has not been burned with a proper boot sector image--so it's not being recognized during boot as a bootable CD.

I suspect you are missing a small step in the process of creating the image and burning it to the CD-RW.

Are you noting this step #10
here
:

Quote:
Here's a critical step
--now select 'Image|Boot Sector Properties...', in the 'Boot Sector Properties' dialog box click on the 'Windows 95/98' button, and then 'OK' .

(Note--technically--every step is *critical*  Wink !)

You can burn *ghost.exe* to the data portion of the bootable CD (not with the boot files that are being burned to the boot sector of the CD) and run Ghost from the CD once you have booted--simply by typing *ghost* at the A:\ prompt, because your *path* statement includes the CD drive letter X:\--so DOS will find the *ghost.exe* on the CD!

IP Logged

Anthonyd
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pennsylvania

Reply #193 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 11:53am

NightOwl, thanks for your persistent help. I did not miss that one critical step, I missed another. When creating the project in Roxio, I did not choose "Floppy Disc Emulation" type for the project.

I loaded ghost.exe and guest.exe onto the data part of the cd. So I can forget about floppies.

Everything is showing up on the Norton Ghost drop down for locating my image file. Thanks so much!

Now I am going to finish stripping down the new reference computer. Going to remove the MSO cache, uninstall files for updates, unnecessary programs in add/remove pograms, delete temp files and recycle bin....

anything else you can recommend for preparing the master image before sysprepping?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #194 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 12:23pm

Anthonyd

Quote:
anything else you can recommend for preparing the master image before sysprepping?

Personally, I do not use that tool--and I'm not interested in a *master image*.  That's primarily if you are needing to produce a large number of *identical* systems--put there are more efficient networked options for that--i.e. the Corporate Ghost.

I use Ghost so I can always be moving forward--I do not want to go back to some early *beginning point*--I want to recover from the most resent *bad install* of some program that's not behaving well.  I know some advocate starting fresh with Windows every so often to get back that *fast, new* feel to Windows--well, if you are going to re-install all the programs you like anyway--seems you will soon be back where you were  Wink !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Send Topic Print