Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Send Topic Print
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More! (Read 643326 times)
elloco07
N00b

Re: A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!
Reply #225 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 1:35pm

Is this Post still active? I have a question about my drive, but I do not want to type a long post that no one will reply to, please let me know, thanks

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #226 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 2:21pm

elloco07 wrote on Oct 19th, 2006 at 1:35pm:
"... Is this Post still active? I have a question about my drive, but I do not want to type a long post that no one will reply to, please let me know..."

I suppose this Post is sort of like a 'sourdough' bread yeast culture; month after month, it just keeps on turning out loaf after loaf Roll Eyes

EP
Cry

IP Logged

elloco07
N00b

Reply #227 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 2:17pm

ok, Here goes my question and hopefully someone can help me with my issue.

It's been about 6 months since I read this board. It help me a great deal on how to create a bootable USB HDD and use it under DOS.  First let me give you all a little background.

My Company uses DELL computers, so I bought a seagate 100GB 2.5 HDD and a compusa USB Enclosure.  I made the the drive bootable on a FAT32 parition.  I added my images and ghost to it.  In order to get USB 2.0 speeds i use the Aspiehci.sys /int /all driver from Iomega.  It works great with the Dell computers Optiplex workstations and PowerEdge Servers.  I tell it to boot up to the USB drive.  It loads fine
then i run DRVLOAD.exe to load the driver aspiehci.sys instead of running it from config.sys.  The reason I do not load the driver in config.sys is because some computers have USB KB and Mouse only, and when the driver loads it kills the KB and mouse.  So everything is good I can copy an image to the USB HDD and I can re-image the computer from the USB drive at 2.0 speeds.  Well now it looks like we are going to start using HP workstations and servers.  I got an HP 5150 AMD 64bit workstation.  When I load the aspiehci.sys driver, it will not recognize the USB drive any more. When I select ghost or my batch file it says cannot read drive C: abort, retry, fail.  If I don't load the driver, ghosting the workstation is so slow.

Then I tried the usbAspi driver using the /v  /norst and other combinatons and it recgonizes my drive sometimes but it kills my USB KB and Mouse, so I cannot type anymore, so its useless.

My question is does anyone have a USB DOS driver that successfully load USB 2.0 to work with a external USB HDD.

If anyone has experiance with HP workstations and have a way to make 2.0 speeds work, please let me know. 

If you know of a type of external enclosure that works, let me know.

Thanks for reading such a long email and for you help.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #228 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 5:26pm

elloco07 wrote on Oct 20th, 2006 at 2:17pm:
"... I tried the usbAspi driver using the /v  /norst and other combinatons and it recgonizes my drive sometimes but it kills my USB KB and Mouse..."

The
/norst
setting has yet to fail me in maintaining USB keyboard and mouse functions with my perennial favorite, DOS-dependent Norton Ghost 2003.  Making Ghost 2003 function with USB external HDDs and, in particular, internal HDDs mounted in USB external enclosure kits is my singular forte'.

To start with, are you using the two USB drivers with Norton Ghost 2003 as shown in the config.sys below:

DEVICE = himem.sys
DEVICE = usb\usbaspi.sys /e /v /norst
DEVICE = usb\di1000dd.sys
DOS = high,umb
LASTDRIVE = Z

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #229 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 9:22am

elloco07

If I follow your description, it sound like your systems have offered built-in USB support for your keyboard and mice--and allowed for booting from an external USB HDD.

But, that ability to boot from an external USB HDD operates at USB 1.x unless you load a DOS USB 2.0 driver--and the Iomega DOS USB driver *Aspiehci.sys* has worked to give you USB 2.0 speeds (I assume you are also loading the Iomega driver *guest.exe* as well--it would be helpful if you posted your successful *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* and a *list of boot files* that has been working for you up to now so we can look at what they contain).  And that * Aspiehci.sys* Iomega driver has not interfered with your USB mouse or keyboards.

Now, with your new *HP 5150 AMD 64bit workstation*, you still have the ability to boot with the USB HDD, but it runs at USB 1.x speed--and if you attempt to load either the Iomega DOS USB driver or the Panasonic DOS USB driver (usbaspi.sys), either will cause you to loose access to your USB HDD.  So, that sounds like there is a conflict (incompatibility) between the built-in USB support driver and the DOS USB driver you are trying to load.

1.  How many USB ports are present/how many USB controllers are on the system?  Have you tried different ports?  Are other USB devices hooked up at the same time that are unrelated to what you are trying to do?

2.  Have you tried using a memory manager when loading DOS, i.e. *himem.sys*?

3.  Have you tried loading the DOS drivers in a different order--if possible?

4.  Are there other DOS drivers that you are loading that are not necessary for this specific task?

5.  If your systems allow for booting from an external USB HDD--why are your systems not supporting USB 2.0 for the HDD?  Seems like if they are new enough to support booting from an external device, then they should support USB 2.0. 

Does the presence of the USB mouse and/or keyboard force the controller into only USB 1.x mode?

6.  Have you tried other USB HDD's--maybe your external HDD is incompatible with the built-in USB support driver except in USB 1.x mode, but other USB HDD's may be compatible--without loading that Iomega *Aspiehci.sys* or the Panasonic *usbAspi.sys* drivers.

Report back with the results of your further testing.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #230 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 2:12pm

elloco07 wrote on Oct 20th, 2006 at 2:17pm:
"... If you know of a type of external enclosure that works, let me know..."

I have three Macally external enclosure kits, but all three are for 3.5-inch HDDs in contrast to your Seagate 2.5-inch HDD.  Of the three, my combo FireWire/USB2.0 PHR-100AC model with its modernized bridge chipset and up-to-date USB device controller software is markedly more accommodating for use with DOS-dependent applications such as Norton Ghost 2003 et al when operating in the USB mode. IMHO, moreso than even the straight USB 2.0 model Macally PHR-100A.

Since you already have the 2.5-inch HDD, I would recommend the 2.5-inch combo kit (see URLs below) even if you have no intention of ever using Firewire(IEEE 1394A).  One caveat - the Macally USB connector on the PHR-250CC model is the pygmy version, but that should prove no real problem (however, the FireWire connectors are of the standard size).  MSRP is $59.00, but NewEgg.com has it for $29.99.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

elloco07
N00b

Reply #231 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 8:43am

Thanks for the reply nightowl.  let me reply 1 by 1

1. There are 8 usb ports, 2 front, 6 on back.  There are 2 usb controllers and 1 enhanced.

2.I do not use any memory management when loading DOS

3. The only DOS driver I load is the aspiehci.sys and i load this when I am about to run ghost in my batchfile.

4. No other Dos Drivers

5. I don't know

6. I have not tried this yet, But will do later this week.

I will try pescadors suggestions about loading the following
DEVICE = himem.sys
DOS = high,umb
LASTDRIVE = Z

and see if this works.  I will report back the my results, later today.

Thanks

NightOwl wrote on Oct 21st, 2006 at 9:22am:
elloco07

If I follow your description, it sound like your systems have offered built-in USB support for your keyboard and mice--and allowed for booting from an external USB HDD.

But, that ability to boot from an external USB HDD operates at USB 1.x unless you load a DOS USB 2.0 driver--and the Iomega DOS USB driver *Aspiehci.sys* has worked to give you USB 2.0 speeds (I assume you are also loading the Iomega driver *guest.exe* as well--it would be helpful if you posted your successful *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* and a *list of boot files* that has been working for you up to now so we can look at what they contain).  And that * Aspiehci.sys* Iomega driver has not interfered with your USB mouse or keyboards.

Now, with your new *HP 5150 AMD 64bit workstation*, you still have the ability to boot with the USB HDD, but it runs at USB 1.x speed--and if you attempt to load either the Iomega DOS USB driver or the Panasonic DOS USB driver (usbaspi.sys), either will cause you to loose access to your USB HDD.  So, that sounds like there is a conflict (incompatibility) between the built-in USB support driver and the DOS USB driver you are trying to load.

1.  How many USB ports are present/how many USB controllers are on the system?  Have you tried different ports?  Are other USB devices hooked up at the same time that are unrelated to what you are trying to do?

2.  Have you tried using a memory manager when loading DOS, i.e. *himem.sys*?

3.  Have you tried loading the DOS drivers in a different order--if possible?

4.  Are there other DOS drivers that you are loading that are not necessary for this specific task?

5.  If your systems allow for booting from an external USB HDD--why are your systems not supporting USB 2.0 for the HDD?  Seems like if they are new enough to support booting from an external device, then they should support USB 2.0.  

Does the presence of the USB mouse and/or keyboard force the controller into only USB 1.x mode?

6.  Have you tried other USB HDD's--maybe your external HDD is incompatible with the built-in USB support driver except in USB 1.x mode, but other USB HDD's may be compatible--without loading that Iomega *Aspiehci.sys* or the Panasonic *usbAspi.sys* drivers.

Report back with the results of your further testing.

IP Logged

elloco07
N00b

Reply #232 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 10:08am

I just tried the above from el_pescador
DEVICE = himem.sys 
DOS = high,umb 
LASTDRIVE = Z

It has been over 10 minutes and it is still showing ...Scanning USB Devices...

It is taking to long, my KB and Mouse stoped working
I get the following
Controller: 00-19-2 VID-1002h PID=4373h (103Ch-3009h) EHCI mem=FE02C000h-FE02CFFFh(4KBytes)
Don't know if that helps

With the aspiehci.sys, All I did was add it to my batch file below and the Dell workstations worked like a charm.

drvload c:\usb\aspiehci.sys /int /all
ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=c:\srv\salo\s800\s8000806.gho,dst=2 -rb -sure

1st line <--Loaded the USB2.0 driver
2nd line  <--loaded Ghost and started to image workstation

I also switched USB ports with the KB, Mouse and HDD, Still get samething.  I need to to use the USB KB and Mouse because the computer has no PS/2 ports to use.

Does anyone know any other switches for the aspiehci.sys file?

Thank you guys for your help so far.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #233 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 10:56am

elloco07

When I have used the Ghost DOS USB driver:

drvload c:\usb\
aspiehci.sys
/int /all 

I have always seen the Ghost driver *guest.exe* being loaded afterwards--that driver was responsible for assigning a drive letter to a USB HDD--has your experience been different?

Looking at that load line above, I'm assuming you have booted from your external USB HDD, and a drive letter has already been assigned by your system's ability to boot from a USB device.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

elloco07
N00b

Reply #234 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 11:02am

When I boot from my USB drive, the workstation thinks im running DOS as my OS and it gives it the Letter drive C:  So there was not need to use guest.exe to assign it a letter drive. That is why i don't use config.sys to load the drivers, I just load them when I need to use ghost.

When i made my USB drive bootable, I used MS-DOS system files. 

Hope that helps.

NightOwl wrote on Oct 23rd, 2006 at 10:56am:
elloco07

When I have used the Ghost DOS USB driver:

drvload c:\usb\
aspiehci.sys
/int /all  

I have always seen the Ghost driver *guest.exe* being loaded afterwards--that driver was responsible for assigning a drive letter to a USB HDD--has your experience been different?

Looking at that load line above, I'm assuming you have booted from your external USB HDD, and a drive letter has already been assigned by your system's ability to boot from a USB device.

IP Logged

elloco07
N00b

Reply #235 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 4:02pm

Guess no one has no idea on how to make this work.

It could be that 64bit chipsets have an issue,  oh well, thanks

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #236 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 11:38pm

More USB 2.0 External HDDs should work as promised now with DOS-based applications !!!

Behold an updated fusion of the Norton/Iomega Disaster Recovery Disk and NightOwl's 'Panasonic Universal USB Driver'.  Review NightOwl's initial post in this thread to gain the necessary components for the substitutions called for below.

STEP ONE: Format a 1.44MB floppy in a WIN 9x PC using the 'Copy system files' option. Then, label it as MS-DOS Disaster Recovery Disk for submission to the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard
where MS-DOS will be selected as opposed to PC-DOS
.  Leaving the
Assign DOS drive letter
box unchecked ensures that only a single diskette will be required for the task. The image above illustrates the unmodified CONFIG.SYS using the stock Norton/Iomega USB driver before any modifications are undertaken.

STEP TWO: Open the USB folder with Edit and discard the
aspiehci.sys file
file, replacing it with
usbaspi.sys
and
di1000dd.sys
as shown above.

STEP THREE: Open the CONFIG.SYS file with Notepad.  Discard
DEVICE = aspiehci.sys
and modify the DEVICE assignments as shown above.

STEP FOUR: After the modifications have been completed, the changes are notionally illustrated in
RED
above.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #237 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 1:20pm

El_Pescador

(Edit by NightOwl, 11/16/2006--El_Pescador has revised his above outline and my comments below are no longer applicable!)

Your steps and screen shots in reply #236 are confusing and possibly misleading--

The Ghost Boot Wizard does not create the [config.sys] that you show in the *Review* screen shot for the Boot Wizard--someone unfamiliar with using the Boot Wizard will not understand that you appear to have *edited* that *Review* screen to show the lines you intend to add manually later--unless I don't understand what you have accomplished here!

You appear to have left out the step(s) used to initially create the floppy boot disk that you show in the Windows Explorer screen shot with the *Ghost* and *USB* sub-directories--which shows only the *modified* file content of the USB sub-directory.  Again, I don't think a new user will follow how you got from *point A* to *point B*.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #238 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 3:42pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 15th, 2006 at 1:20pm:
"... I don't think a new user will follow how you got from *point A* to *point B*..."

You are quite right, and the explanation - not excuse - is fatigue and side-effects of medication from recent oral surgery.  So, with your approval - for you are indeed the author of this thread - I will tweak it in place rather than regenerate it elsewhere.

Also, what do you think of turning out a "beefed-up" twin-disk MS-DOS version downstream employing not only *DEVICE = himem.sys* but also *DOS = high, umb* bolstered by *DEVICE = emm386.exe*.  My motive for doing so would to offer an alternative for those folks hitting glitches with the streamlined version above.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #239 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 5:54pm

El_Pescador

Quote:
is fatigue and side-effects of medication from recent oral surgery

Hope you're feeling better--hate that *brain fog* some of the pain meds cause--like the reduced pain though!

Quote:
So, with your approval -

No *approval* needed--was just trying to keep you *on your toes*!

Quote:
what do you think of turning out a "beefed-up" twin-disk MS-DOS version downstream employing not only *DEVICE = himem.sys* but also *DOS = high, umb* bolstered by *DEVICE = emm386.exe*.

Not a problem to do--I have never seen a case where *emm386.exe* was needed--only *himem.sys*--but if someone is loading a lot of other DOS drivers for other purposes besides using Ghost, then having *emm386.exe* provide those UMB's to load some of the DOS drivers would help provide more *conventional memory* for DOS programs.

Whenever *emm386.exe* is loaded in DOS and then one starts PartitionMagic (PM)--I always get a notice during its loading that PM will be restricted to using only 32 MB because of the presence of *emm386.exe*--PM seems to work just fine--so I don't really know the reason for that message--but, thought I'd throw that into the mix as FYI!

The one circumstance that I have found that I need to load *emm386.exe* is when I want to do a *screen capture* in DOS using the program *ScreenThief*--both Ghost and GDisk require that *emm386.exe* be loaded in order to take a screen shot of those programs--other programs, like PartitionMagic--no problems without that *emm386.exe* being loaded!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Send Topic Print