Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20
Send Topic Print
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More! (Read 643312 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!
Reply #240 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 6:24pm

To all

Here's a reference to a post explaining in more detail using *himem.sys* and *emm386.exe*:

Multiple Backups on same HDD

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

QuiGonJohn
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #241 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 5:41am

Where can I get the following files?  I have a Windows 98 Boot Floppy, but no access to a full Windows 98 PC.

THE WINDOWS 98 VERSIONS OF:

emm386.exe
format.com

THANKS!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #242 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 9:16am

QuiGonJohn

Click link below for *emm386.exe* from Win98se, 125,495 k, dated 4/23/1999:

emm386.exe

*format.com* is in the *EBD.cab* file on the Win98 Boot Floppy--in Windows Explorer you should be able to open that file and extract it to where ever.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

jbz
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #243 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 3:27pm

Hope you guys can help. Sorry if this is covered in this thread, there's just far too much info and pages to weed through.

I followed the screen shot instructions on page 2 to a tee. Created my 2 boot disks for Ghost 2003 and alas, it doesn't work.  I get a message saying "ERROR: target USB device not found".  I've tried using the 3 versions of USBASPI.SYS linked in this thread, but all return the same message Sad

My bootdisk looks exactly like the screenshots on page 2, except for the following:

-  I have a DRVSPACE.BIN file on disk 1 (removed it, no change)
- my original CONFIG.SYS file did not contain the line "DOS = high,umb" like in the screenshots. I added it in.
- my version of the "di1000dd.sys" file might be different. the one i downloaded has a different modified date to it (8/16/2001). File size is 16K

I am using a CompUSA external USB enclosure with a Seagate HDD. I've also tried a Maxtor 1 Touch external drive. Both return the same results. My goal is to get Ghost 2003 to recognize these drives AND to have USB keyboard/mouse use. The PC I am trying to image automatically has legacy USB support, but the built-in USB storage drivers from Ghost 2003 disables this support, thus I cannot do anything in Ghost. I feel like I'm so close, yet so far!

IP Logged

jbz
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #244 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 3:33pm

shoots, looks like I might have found my solution just one page before this last one. I read through like 12 pages and gave up. Doh. I'll re-post if I need help

<nope> Well elloco07 has almost the identical setup I have with the Dell Optiplex PCs and the CompUSA enclosure. Interesting that he worked around the Aspiehci.sys driver disabling the keyboard/mouse by using drvload.exe. I'm not familiar with that, so it's not an option for me at this point.

Any help will be appreciated.

IP Logged

jbz
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #245 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 8:07pm

still no luck. Have tried changing the switch parameters for the USBASPI.SYS file just in case it might be the USB controllers. I have removed the "/e" in my CONFIG.SYS. Now when I boot up with the Ghost boot disk, it just stays at scanning the USB devices. It never finds anything nor does it error out.  I guess that's....progress? Tried all the different USBASPI.SYS files.

Here's what I have for:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
Code:

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+10:00
PATH=A:\;A:\GHOST;A\:USB;E\:
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
cls

if %config% == FROMFLPY goto FLPYBOOT
if %config% == FROMCD goto CDBOOT

goto FAILED

:FLPYBOOT
echo Insert Ghost boot disk 2 (containing Ghost.exe)
pause
if exist a:\ghost\ghost.exe goto GHOSTFND
goto FLPYBOOT

:CDBOOT
echo Insert Ghost boot disk 2 (containing Ghost.exe)
pause
if not exist b:\ghost\ghost.exe goto CDBOOT
b:
goto GHOSTFND

:GHOSTFND
cd \ghost
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE
goto END

:FAILED
echo Unknown boot menu selection
goto END

:END

CONFIG.SYS:
Code:

[menu]
menuitem=FROMFLPY, This computer was started from a Ghost boot disk
menuitem=FROMCD, This computer was started from a Ghost bootable CD

[FROMFLPY]

[FROMCD]

[COMMON]
DEVICE = himem.sys
DEVICE = usb\usbaspi.sys /v /norst
DEVICE = usb\di1000dd.sys
DOS = high,umb
LASTDRIVE = Z

My floppy(s) contains the following files/directories:

- AUTOEXEC.BAT
- COMMAND.COM
- CONFIG.SYS
- HIMEM.SYS
- IO.SYS
- MOUSE.COM
- MOUSE.INI
- MOSDOS.SYS
- DRVSPACE.BIN
- \USB\DI1000DD.DYD
- \USB\USBASPI.SYS
- \GHOST\GHOST.EXE

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #246 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:03pm

jbz

Quote:
- \USB\DI1000DD.DYD

I presume that *.dyd* is a typo!?

The config.sys and autoexec.bat appear okay.

When you boot and get the error, does the boot process continue and do you get to an A:\ prompt?

Do you have USB mouse and keyboard function if you use that */norst* switch?

I presume you have the USB HDD hooked up and powered up before attempting the boot--correct?

Besides the mouse, keyboard, and USB HDD hooked up--do you have any other USB devices hooked up?

Are you using a USB HUB?

You could try forcing the Panasonic USB DOS driver to use only USB 1.1 mode to see if that helps:

/o OHCI, for enabling only add-on/onboard USB 1.1 controller
/u UHCI, for enabling integrated USB 1.1 controller

vs forcing USB 2.0:

/e EHCI, for enabling only USB 2.0 controller

IP Logged

jbz
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #247 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 12:44pm

NightOwl wrote on Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:03pm:
jbz

I presume that *.dyd* is a typo!?

The config.sys and autoexec.bat appear okay.

When you boot and get the error, does the boot process continue and do you get to an A:\ prompt?

Do you have USB mouse and keyboard function if you use that */norst* switch?

I presume you have the USB HDD hooked up and powered up before attempting the boot--correct?

Besides the mouse, keyboard, and USB HDD hooked up--do you have any other USB devices hooked up?

Are you using a USB HUB?

You could try forcing the Panasonic USB DOS driver to use only USB 1.1 mode to see if that helps:

/o OHCI, for enabling only add-on/onboard USB 1.1 controller
/u UHCI, for enabling integrated USB 1.1 controller

vs forcing USB 2.0:

/e EHCI, for enabling only USB 2.0 controller

Okay. here's the answers (sorry I took so long, the weekend came !)

- Yes, that is a typo, sorry  Undecided

- after the error, the boot process continues and eventually Ghost gets loaded, but with no USB storage device support

- no, just the keyboard/mouse/external enclosure

- no, not using USB hub

- I will try that and some different combinations of the switches for the USB driver and update today. Thanks

IP Logged

jbz
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #248 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 5:23pm

Alright, attempted to use the "/o" and "/u" switch and no luck. Using the "/o" switch returned an error that stated "PCI /UCHI/OHCI/EHCI USB host controller not found".

Using the "/u" switch gave me the same error "target USB device not found" error. I tried using all 3 versions of the Panasonic USB driver in each case. I've also tried using combinations of "/v", "/e", "/norst", etc with no luck.  Looks like I'm in the same boat as the poster elloco07 on the page before. Unfortunately it looks like you guys weren't able to resolve his problem. These damn Dell Optiplex machines are driving me crazy!

Any other ideas?

IP Logged

Traveler
N00b

Eastern Europe (for now)

Reply #249 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 1:36pm

Ahhhh...remember those good ole days when Ghost images fit on a single bootable CD!  Cry

I have been attempting a "haphazard" bootable CD project (under duress from my co-workers) with portable USB 2.0 HDD access for rapid workstation recovery tasks in our organization. Here's the gist:

Step one: Put in CD
Step two: plug in USB HD with ghost image on it
Step three: restart PC (workstation imaged...applause ensues)

My "wish list" includes the following:

- Bootable DOS CD (not DVD...not all DVD drives yet)
- Our Ghost 8.0 Corporate DOS client starts from this CD
- Auto configures USB EHCI/OHCI/UHCI support (quickly)
- Ghost starts with switches to begin transfer from USB HD to workstations HD "automagically" (I think I have this part figured out)
- DOS determines USB HD drive letter (even with USB mice/keyboard/printer, etc attached)

Basically what I need is something FAST and "monkey-friendly". I'm not a big DOS guru, but I can cut and paste like wildfire!

Here is the hand I am dealt:

- 15 different models/versions of PCs, most all are newer (2003+)
- Cannot run ghost console since it's a security no-no
- Cannot ghost multicast over the LAN (again...security no-no)
- Standing policy is "if it's broke, ghost it!"

Since I have burned up about 15+hours on and off on this endeavor, I would be extremely grateful to get a helping hand from you smart folks. 

So far I was able to load  the USBASPI.SYS driver using a test floppy (via USB FDD!) and didn't know about the other "Motto Hairu" driver at the time, ghost hesitated a lot with reports of "bad blocks" on what I could only guess to be my USB HD...but it let me continue...then it showed the USB HD as disk "3:1" assuming this is disk 3-Partition 1...I began a test transfer and viola...4 minutes transfer time, now I just want to figure out how to pull this all together on a CD and assign a consistent drive letter on every machine so that my ghost switches work automatically.

I have been using BartPE and the Ghost32 client with the same drive without fails but it takes an eternity to load and I want to avoid having to teach everyone all of the intricacies of navigating the interface (I have thought of batch files for this)...boot time is like 5 minutes for BPE, then kicking it off, etc. I also don't like people having direct access to the NTFS partitions through BPE because of our security posture this could be frowned upon.

Any guidance you folks could provide would be much appreciated!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #250 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 10:58pm

Traveler

Quote:
Ahhhh...remember those good ole days when Ghost images fit on a single bootable CD!

Actually, I don't!!!!  Only test partitions are small enough for one CD--I've always had data greater than a *single CD*!

Well, I see two different stated goals:

Quote:
Step one: Put in CD
Step two: plug in USB HD with ghost image on it
Step three: restart PC (workstation imaged...applause ensues)

and

Quote:
- Ghost starts with switches to begin transfer from USB HD to workstations HD "automagically"

Goal one--automatic image creation from workstation to USB HDD?

Goal two--automatic restoration of image to workstation from USB HDD?

Am I reading that correct?  Are both functions supposed to be incorporated into a single bootable CD--or separate CD's for each function?

You can control the USB drive letter assignment for the "Motto Hairu" driver using the */d?* switch--so if you want the first seen USB HDD drive letter to be *U:/* (for USB  Wink !), then:

device=DI1000DD.SYS /dU

If you have other USB mass storage devices hooked up (USB memory stick readers and/or USB *thumb drives*)--you may have problems with correct drive letter assignments--but if there is only one USB HDD--then the HDD will be assigned that beginning drive letter.

Other resources:

Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive

Adding USB DOS drivers to the above:

Adding USB to Ghost Boot CD

Placing *ghost.exe* on the bootable CD/DVD project disc

Summary of adding USB support and DOS PartitionMagic to Bootable CD--see reply #6

Questions?  Post your efforts and let's see what we can build.

IP Logged

Traveler
N00b

Eastern Europe (for now)

Reply #251 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 11:33pm

Thanks NightOwl! This is one huge step towards what I need to accomplish.

To answer your question regarding the goals...I am only looking to perform a workstation image restore rather than capturing an image...sorry about the clarity.

When I stated the "- Ghost starts with switches to begin transfer from USB HD to workstations HD "automagically""  I was referring to step three.

I want to thank you guys for spending the time I don't have to figure these things out! Sometimes it takes many hours on these forums to glean an answer to that "one critical question"... I appreciate you helping a noob cut to the chase.

Cheers!

IP Logged

Traveler
N00b

Eastern Europe (for now)

Reply #252 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 2:49am

Ok...here goes...I created the bootable CD (with USB support) with the following entries:

Autoexec.bat
==========================

path=a:\;x:\;x:\ghost;g:\
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /v
ghost.exe

Config.sys

Device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v 
device=DI1000DD.SYS /dG

lastdrive=z

At first I tried it on a new IBM (Lenovo) ThinkCentre 8106W18 which has a SATA drive and Intel 82915G chipset,

integrated USB 2.0 contoller. With the following entry in the Autoexec.bat "mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v" per NightOwl's tutorial at http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/started.html. First ghost reported the following upon starting:

"Bad blocks(s) encountered on read: 0x1,drive:1,1 sectors starting from absolute sector 0"

gave me a couple prompts "bad block(s) encountered on read - continue anyway?" and "ignore subsequent bad blocks?"

I tried to setup a partition image restore from USB HD (S-L-O-W), when ghost decided to lock up and the DOS command prompt overlayed the Ghost application with the text "Your program caused a divide overflow error. If the program persists, contact your program vendor."

I tried removing and reburning the disk without the "/m:16" switch after mscdex.exe. This seems to have fixed the "divide overflow" but not the bad blocks. I ran checkdisk (chkdsk.exe) from WinXP SP2 command prompt on the USB drive in another machine, it passed with flying colors.

I noticed that the Panasonic ASPI Manager "usbaspi.sys" (yes...I extracted it from the correct source file not
the Motto Hairu cab)  took 2+ minutes to detect my Seagate 120GB USB HDD (ST912082 1A) even with the "/e"
switch (not sure that this is supposed to speed things up or not?). Ghost took forever to begin transferring
the image to the machine on the second try (with the switch dropped) and it finally began to transfer at a
super slow rate which may have taken 30+ minutes to finish but I stopped it. Note that when I tried this yesterday with the
"device=DI1000DD.SYS /dG" just the "device=usbaspi.sys /w /v" (note the "W") ghost still took a long time to get going but it transferred the image to the same computer in just over 4 minutes! This was with ghost
referencing the drive as "3:1 SEA_DISC" no drive letter assigned by DI1000DD.sys.

For grins, I ran this on another IBM 8106 (same batch of new PCs) and got the same results. I then tried it on
an HP D530 CMT with Intel 82865G chipset (no SATA) and it only got to "...scanning USB devices..." after the
Panasonic driver loads and then just stayed that way. I went to get a cup of coffee and came back...no change.

Maybe irrelevant but I tried running gdisk on the IBM 8106 (without looking up the proper sample switches) by running

"gdisk 1 /view" and got "cannot read sector 0 of fixed disk 2--INT13 error:timeout(0x80)".

I figured INT13 has to do with large disk support right? Is there something about my 120GB drive that these DOS
apps don't like?

Keep in mind that I followed NightOwls tutorial at http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/started.html and

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11201... to the letter and double checked my work. I only substituted the USB drive letter "G" (for "Ghost") instead of "U" and I chose to place ghost in it's own folder on the CD to conserve space.

Any ideas?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #253 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 9:04am

Traveler

Quote:
Any ideas?

Ahhh...troubleshooting USB issues in DOS...gotta love it!

Quote:
- Our Ghost 8.0 Corporate DOS client starts from this CD

Re-reading your original post--what is the exact version of Ghost 8.x?  I don't know exactly when, but *built-in* USB support was added to Ghost 8.x, and loading a separate DOS USB driver could cause a software conflict.

At the DOS prompt, start *ghost.exe* with this command line:

ghost.exe -ver

What's the result?

Now quit, and restart Ghost with this command line:

ghost.exe -?

Should get a list of available *switches* to use--go down the list--is there a *-nousb* switch listed under *Disk Access Method switches...*

Quote:
"Bad blocks(s) encountered on read: 0x1,drive:1,1 sectors starting from absolute sector 0"

gave me a couple prompts "bad block(s) encountered on read - continue anyway?" and "ignore subsequent bad blocks?"

These errors may be *red herring* errors--i.e. Ghost is *seeing* an error condition, but its program logic is not correctly identifying the correct error state--so maybe there is a *read* error--but not because of *bad blocks*!

SATA HDD's can be an issue with Ghost:

Re: Bootable cd without floppy

Switches: Drive detection

Starting Ghost with the command line:

ghost.exe -fni

may help.

Quote:
I tried removing and reburning the disk without the "/m:16" switch after mscdex.exe. This seems to have fixed the "divide overflow" but not the bad blocks. I ran checkdisk (chkdsk.exe) from WinXP SP2 command prompt on the USB drive in another machine, it passed with flying colors.

Are the *bad blocks* on the USB HDD--or on the system's HDD?

Ultimately, not every flavor of external USB HDD can be made compatible with the available DOS USB drivers--may have to try other flavors of External USB HDD.  I have never had a problem with the Iomega USB HDD's, and Adaptec's USB HDD enclosure kit--there are other bands that folks have had success with.

Quote:
"gdisk 1 /view" and got "cannot read sector 0 of fixed disk 2--INT13 error:timeout(0x80)". 

I figured INT13 has to do with large disk support right? Is there something about my 120GB drive that these DOS 
apps don't like?

That sounds like there is some type of *partitioning/formatting* issue on the external USB HDD that DOS Ghost does not like--you may have to *wipe* that disk, and start over.

What USB HDD enclosure are you using?

What partitioning and file system is on that USB HDD?

What tool was used to do the partitioning?

Also, perhaps a *memory manager* is needed:

Quote:
Config.sys

Device=himem.sys

Device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v   
device=DI1000DD.SYS /dG 

lastdrive=z

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #254 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 9:55pm

page-views.

whoa.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20
Send Topic Print