Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More! (Read 643311 times)
Traveler
N00b

Eastern Europe (for now)

Re: A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!
Reply #255 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 4:37am

NightOwl,

My ghost version is "Symantec Ghost 8.0.0 (build=984, cdrlib=3.1.31)" which...after your post I decided to try without any special drivers and BOY DO I FEEL FOOLISH!...it worked at full speed on my IBM 8106's (4Gig image transferred in 5 minutes!) without any special switches. I guess I was still thinking that the USB was tied to the OHCI.exe and UHCI.exe files loaded up disk by the "Ghost Boot Wizard" and also, Ghost 7.5 COrporate didn't perform the same way.

I built my disk and tried it on another machine HP dc7600 and it slows down to 20 minutes to finish the transfer. I guess it's using the USB 1.0 spec with this machine. It's a brand new box (even "Vista Compatable"!) but for some reason it doesn't achieve the same performance. I checked out the BIOS on this box to be sure there wasn't some sort of "legacy" setting enabled...the only thing I found was "Legacy FDD writable=Enabled"

...sure wish I had tried this before blowing so much time trying to get the other drivers to work.

Anyway...I will keep playing with it and trying it on our other machines to see what performance I can squeeze out of it. Maybe some of those switches will come in handy.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #256 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:36am

Traveler

Quote:
I will keep playing with it and trying it on our other machines to see what performance I can squeeze out of it. Maybe some of those switches will come in handy.

Starting Ghost with the *-nousb* switch, and using the Panasonic USB DOS drivers instead of the built-in USB driver of Ghost 8.x may with some USB HDD's offer better performance. 

I know from testing that for the retail version of Ghost 2003, the Panasonic USB DOS driver out performs the Symantec USB DOS driver.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Traveler
N00b

Eastern Europe (for now)

Reply #257 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 9:17am

NightOwl,

Are you meaning that I should keep the USBASPI.SYS in my config.sys and drop the Motto Hairu driver? It was causing problems with my IBM machine and and the USBASPI.SYS never got past "....scanning devices..." with my HP D30.

Thanks!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #258 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:17am

Traveler

Quote:
Are you meaning that I should keep the USBASPI.SYS in my config.sys
and drop the Motto Hairu driver
?

No--both drivers work as a team--the Panasonic driver *mounts* the USB mass storage device, and the *Motto Hairu* driver assigns the drive letter--similar relationship to using optical drives in DOS.

Quote:
It was causing problems with my IBM machine and and the USBASPI.SYS never got past "....scanning devices..." with my HP D30

Those DOS drivers may not be compatible with that system--is there a setting in the BIOS for *legacy USB support* that's enabled?  May be causing a conflict!  Are there other USB devices that are hooked up-- that could be causing issues?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

jbz
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #259 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 5:07pm

well since no one apparently can help me, I had to try and help myself  Wink 

Actually, I found a boot disk that does exactly what I need. Fits on 1 floppy disk too! I actually found this by accident.  I usually use this one boot disk for all image loading/copying needs. I never thought to use this with the USB external drive I was trying to copy to and once I stumbled upon this thread I figured I needed to make some boot disks as NightOwl had discovered. (I wish it would work for me, sounds like the performance/support that it provides is great).  So I thought I'd try the bootdisk for the hell of it. It shocked me when I could do all the things I wanted to with the USB devices that I previously could not before.

This is what my boot disk consists of:

- GHOST directory with the ghost.exe in it
- autoexec.bat
- btccdrom.sys
- btdosm.sys
- command.com
- config.sys
- flashpt.sys
- ibmbio.com
- ibmdos.com
- mouse.com
- mouse.ini
- mscdex.exe
- oakcdrom.sys

That's it and I have full use of my USB mouse/keyboard and the external drive. I am assuming that it all works because of USB legacy support from the PC/BIOS. Well, I didn't really figure out how to make the "better USB 2.0 + ghost" boot disk work (I wish I could!), but at least I can get it working for now.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #260 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 10:43pm

jbz

Quote:
I am assuming that it all works because of USB legacy support from the PC/BIOS. Well, I didn't really figure out how to make the "better USB 2.0 + ghost" boot disk work (I wish I could!),

Well, that appears to have been the problem--your BIOS was loading USB support, and then trying to add boot files with DOS USB support was causing the programs to *collide*.

There's no reason to load the Panasonic DOS USB drivers if your BIOS is taking care of it for you!

IP Logged

jbz
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #261 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 5:17pm

NightOwl wrote on Feb 12th, 2007 at 10:43pm:
jbz

Well, that appears to have been the problem--your BIOS was loading USB support, and then trying to add boot files with DOS USB support was causing the programs to *collide*.

There's no reason to load the Panasonic DOS USB drivers if your BIOS is taking care of it for you!

yeah, funny how that works. I feel dumb, but yet not really since I did learn a lot by reading through this read and going through trial and error here. You guys do amazin stuff. I troll here for all my ghost needs Cheesy

IP Logged

OzZXtc
Ex Member

Reply #262 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 2:33am

Thanks for all the information (and the hard work it is based on).

We found the quickest and easiest solution for two noobs was to:

1. Use Ghost 2003 in DOS mode to create images of our C: system partitions onto available space on our internal data partitions using a Ghost 2003 Boot floppy or CD.

2. Do an Image File Integrity Check.

3. Use Windows XP "Move" command to move the Ghost 2003 images of our C: system partitions onto our new external drive via USB cable.

We did manage to create a Ghost 2003 image directly onto the external drive on one computer but it took over 12 hours.  We could not see the external drive in Ghost 2003 in DOS mode from the other computer (only from Windows XP).

If we have to restore a system partition from the external hard drive, then we may decide to pull it out of its aluminium case and install it internally on the troubled computer.  This would overcome external USB drive communication problems and save a lot of time.

We know that reserving sufficient HDD space on our internal data partitions for images is somewhat wasteful, however HDD storage is unbelievably cheap these days.

Regards

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #263 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 9:22am

OzZXtc

Thanks for your input.

Quote:
however HDD storage is unbelievably cheap these days.

The fastest, surest way to use Ghost is to install a second HDD on a system--if that's an option--all other options are slower--and you may have to troubleshoot compatibility/connectivity issues!

IP Logged

OzZXtc
Ex Member

Reply #264 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 11:07pm

Thanks, NightOwl.

Thinking about it some more, our process would be improved by using the "copy" command rather than the "move" command.

This would leave us with a Ghost 2003 image of the system partition on our internal data partition ready for a quick restore, while reserving space for the next scheduled Ghost 2003 image.  If necessary due to limited space, it would be deleted immediately before the next scheduled backup.

Updating our process:

1. Use Ghost 2003 in DOS mode to create images of the C: system partition onto available space on an internal data partition using a Ghost 2003 Boot floppy or CD.

2. Do an Image File Integrity Check.

3. Use Windows XP "copy" command to copy the Ghost 2003 images of the C: system partition from the internal data partition onto the external drive via USB cable.

4. To guard against fire and theft, the external HDD should be stored remotely from the computer between scheduled backups.

Regards

IP Logged

tbbrick
Ex Member

Reply #265 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 8:50am

All,
FWIW, I've posted my Ghost XP files on my Box.net account folder:http://www.box.net/public/5oevbg2ydf.  Feel free to download and give them a go.  Password is brick lowercase.

IP Logged

bspencer
Ex Member

Reply #266 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 10:11pm

The newest version of the Panasonic USB driver can be found at http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/drive/other/driver/f2h_usb.exe.  The version as of this post was 2.20.  The version referred to in the download post somewhere in this thread is 2.06.  My external USB drive was twice as fast using the 2.20 version vs. the 2.06!

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #267 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 12:33am

Quote:
My external USB drive was twice as fast using the 2.20 version vs. the 2.06!

Wow. That's good news.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #268 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 12:24pm

Quote:
"... The newest version of the Panasonic USB driver can be found at http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/drive/other/driver/f2h_usb.exe.  The version as of this post was 2.20.  The version referred to in the download post somewhere in this thread is 2.06.  My external USB drive was twice as fast using the 2.20 version vs. the 2.06!..."

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1167866518/4#4

IP Logged

hisham
Ex Member

Reply #269 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 4:49pm

Hallo, greets to NightOwl and El_Pescador. 80000+ views (I contributed some, LOL) and in 2008 still going strong! Just wanted to share my experience to save frustration for those who stumbles upon this topic.

I'm using a recent laptop with Phoenix Bios ver 1.05 with two ATI IXP400 USB ohci and one ATI IXP400 USB2 ehci. I disabled the Legacy USB Support and SCSI mass storage sub-class support.

I've tried almost all suggestion from page 1 to 18 and they just wouldn't work for me. The Panasonic v2.20 simply refused to identify my ehci with the /e /v parameter (and /nocbc /noprt for good measure, with or w/o legacy support). It just hangs indefinitely at '... Scanning usb devices ...'.
I even tried the /w idea and only plugging in the drive after the prompt - to no avail.

The only way to make it work is by using /o /v plus fiddling around with the bios usb support if you may (/u won't work for me as I don't have uhci) and it'll detect my ohci controller. Didn't even need to load Di1000dd.sys to assign drive letter as my Ghost (i use v11.0.1 with no special parameters) found the drive just the same. (If I load the Di1000dd.sys, ghost will display two instances of the same drive - probably due to my double ohci, but it matters not). The only caveat is that the transfer rate is horrendously slow at 40 MB/min. 32 hours to ghost 80GB at fast compression? No way!    

So here's how I figured out how to ghost to my WD Elements 400GB external hdd at USB2 High Speed.

1. disable both usb legacy support and scsi subclass support (may be particular only to my bios)
2. zero out partition for easy compression. See g4u for tips http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/
3. load also udma2.sys /o (don't know if this helps) and do a checkdsk whenever you make a user-abort. Ghost starts up slow if there's drive inconsistencies
4. ghost /FORCEUSB (if your drive is not detected then exit and run ghost /FORCEUSB again! The first run will light up the disk LED, the second will detect it)

and eureka! 900MB/min transfer rate for my half empty FFS partition and goes down to 300MB/min for my NTFS and FAT32 which contains a lot of already compressed files like JPG, MP3 and .tgz. Now ghosting time was reduced to like 2.5 hours. Excellent!

So my conclusion is that if you have the latest hardware and the good ol' panasonic ehci driver simply refuses to work, then don't use it.

Although irrelevant, also stumbled upon this: https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=109&thread.id=9363
How rude! The only reason I'm still using ghost is because it allows me to explore the image and also image non-windows partition. If ghost-exploring is a non issue, have a go at g4u.

Like all the other solutions offered, this one worked for me and hopefully for you also. Viel Glück!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print