Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More! (Read 643320 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!
Reply #270 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 10:03pm

hisham

Quote:
Just wanted to share my experience to save frustration for those who stumbles upon this topic.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Didn't even need to load Di1000dd.sys to assign drive letter as my Ghost (i use v11.0.1 with no special parameters) found the drive just the same.

The *enterprise* version from Ghost Solution Suite 2.x!  It has built-in support for USB.  Unfortunately, most folks here do not have access to that version!

Quote:
4. ghost /FORCEUSB (if your drive is not detected then exit and run ghost /FORCEUSB again! The first run will light up the disk LED, the second will detect it)

Your comments about the Ghost switch */forceUSB* made me look at the Ghost Solution Suite 2.x Implementation Guide--I had not paid attention to that switch before--because the retail Ghost 2003 does not have built-in USB support and that switch does not exist (Note--do not click on this next link unless you have a highspeed internet connection--this downloads the large PDF Implementation Guide for Ghost Solution Suite 2.x--I have quoted the information below!):  

-forceusb

Quote:
-forceusb

Forces USB support to start, even when the USB controller is being
run by something else. The -forceusb switch attempts to take over
the USB Host Controller and then attempts to return it to the
previous state once the Ghost operation is complete. This works
for controllers as follows:

■ EHCI controllers with BIOS support are taken over and then
returned to the BIOS.

■ UHCI controllers with BIOS support are taken over and then
returned to the BIOS.

For example, the keyboard is returned after the Ghost
operation is finished.

■ OHCI controllers with BIOS support are taken over but not
returned to the BIOS.

Note the following:

■ Use this switch with caution.

■ Avoid using the forceusb switch to take over a USB controller
from a driver, for example, the Ghost peer-to-peer USB driver.
You may encounter problems if you do this.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

somms
Gnarly

Reply #271 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 5:49am

Just wanted to let you guys know that the latest Ghost 11.0.2 corporate DOS executable is incompatible with the USBASPI.SYS driver...i.e. the Ghost program will stall at initialization and not display the splash screen...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #272 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 8:40am

somms

Can you start Ghost 11.x with the switch to disable the built-in USB support and then successfully load Ghost and use the USBASPI.SYS driver?

ghost.exe -nousb

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #273 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 8:51am

You probably know this already, from the 19 pages contained here, but this is the single biggest thread on the entire forum. (I did a search sorted by file-size, and it came upas #1, with nothing else even half as big.) It has a file-size of ~350-KB. (100-KB is big thread.) If it continues to grow, perhaps starting a "Part II" might be a good idea.

IP Logged

kollo
Dude

Reply #274 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 5:41pm

I have just managed to get Ghost 2003 with the Panasonic driver to work with my new Dell Latitude E6400 laptop with Intel GM45 chipset and ICH9M-E I/O Controller Hub. Thank you providing information about he Panasonic driver!

I used the latest Panasonic driver (v. 2.27 I believe, it said so when booting) from this download page:
http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/drive/other/f2h_usb.html

With the Panasonic USB controller I got approximately 840 MB/min when creating a ghost image of the factory default installation on my laptop. I used Fast Compression in Ghost.

For comparison, when using the E-SATA port on my laptop in Ghost 2003, I got approximately 1170 MB/min. A bit faster than with the USB driver but not that much faster. Since I will proabably have to disable the E-SATA port port because of issues with the DVD unit it is good to have a good fallback with a fast USB driver.

In Ghost 2003 on my old computer I am used to speeds of around 300 MB/min with the built-in USB driver and around 600 MB/min when copying from one internal disk to another so even 840 MB/min is a big improvement. I am not sure these numbers will hold when I have put a lot of more stuff on my Windows C: drive but I hope so.

I have opened the Ghost images I created in Ghost 2003 on Windows and they seem to be error-free. I will run an integrity check on them also just to be absolutely sure there is no problem with them.

BTW, I had to dig up an old Windows 95 CD to find a working himem.sys file. When I tried the himem.sys file from Windows XP the boot process hanged. I tried without himem.sys also and it seemed to work. Is himem.sys really necessary for the Panasonic USB driver?

Once again, thanks a lot for the good work putting the information together.

Kollo

IP Logged

kollo
Dude

Reply #275 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 4:46pm

Update:
I can not get the Panasonic USB 2.0 driver to work with my current Windows installation. When I try to create in image of my laptop hard drive it hangs at "Adding MFT Files...". Using the BIOS USB support the same operation doesn't fail. I restored the factory installation and this installation I can use the Panasonic USB 2.0 driver to create an image from.

So it seems that Panasonic driver is a bit sensitive to what is on the disk. The factory installation is made up of two partitions, one small diagnostic partition and one big NTFS partition. The Windows installation that failed had one more NTFS partition. I can access the USB drive fine in DOS and Ghost can create directories on it so I think the problem lies in reading data from the source disk. But how come it doesn't work with the Panasonic driver? It shouldn't be involved when reading from an IDE or SATA drive anyway, should it?

Anyway, I might get away with using the BIOS USB support. Initially I assumed it would just be USB 1.1 speed but then I read on this forum that new computers sometimes support USB 2.0 speed through BIOS and I decided to give it a try. I get around 450 MB/min when creating a Ghost image using the BIOS USB support so it must be USB 2.0, right? The Panasonic driver gives me twice the speed so it would be nice to get it working but at least I have an acceptable workaround.

/Kollo

Edit (Update 2):
I tried some more with the Panasonic  driver and I got another problem: It caused Ghost to fail to restore a partition from an image file in a case where the BIOS USB "driver" worked without problems. The problem was that Ghost hanged after restoring approximately 90% of the image.

This problem was solved by using himem.sys and loading DOS in upper memory in config.sys as indicated in the guide in this thread:
Device=himem.sys
Dos=high,umb
Initially I had these commented out because they didn't seem to be necessary. But it seems that they indeed are necessary in some cases. I guess I could try loading the USB drivers in upper memory also if I run into more problems.

I haven't got the "Adding MFT files" hang after I restored another ghost image on my computer so I don't know if that problem would have been solved by using himem.sys or if it is another problem. I will post an update if I run into that problem again.

/Kollo

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #276 - Nov 20th, 2010 at 6:02pm

I've used the Panasonic USB 2.0 Dos driver floppies for years now w/ an 80GB SATA ext HDD but I got a 1TB PATA ext HDD & it is not being recognized using them.  Is there a size limitation involved or difference betw. SATA & PATA drives?

[I use WMe (ugh) which does have its limitations w/ large HD's, FAT32, etc. though I have gotten it to recognize the ext 1TB HDD in Windows.]

btw -
Using Ghost 2003 (build=789, cdrlib=3.1.25)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #277 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 8:49pm

@
piikea

(Edited by Nightowl 12/10/2010 to correct links to Panasonic USB DOS driver versions)

Quote:
I got a 1TB PATA ext HDD & it is not being recognized using them.  Is there a size limitation involved

Maybe, but if you read the following--it's not that Ghost doesn't *recognize* the HDD, it's that it reports the wrong size and shows a negative number!

Ghost 2003 Destination Drive Size Limits?--see Dan Goodell's Reply #3!

So, my bet is that there is some incompatibility of the Panasonic USB DOS driver and the USB controller for your 1 TB PATA External USB HDD.

Did the HDD come inside a USB Enclosure--or did you add it to an enclosure--or is it an external adaptor to attach a HDD to to make it available to attach to a USB port?  What are the model numbers of the HDD and the USB enclosure?

What version of the Panasonic USB driver are you using?  The most recent version I'm aware of is  v2.27 , size=39,729, dated 10/22/2008

Also found this link from this post for v2.27:  Re: Bootable CD starts ghost, then hangs with USB device plugged in, reply #6

Quote:
The only link I could find that's still working is for v2.27:  http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/drive/archive/f2h/f2h_usb.exe

After clicking on the downloaded *.exe* file which extracts the enclosed files, you will find the *Usbaspi.sys* file in the *F2h* subdirectory.

Here's v2.20, size=39,179, dated 11/07/2004

If you are not using one of those versions, give them a try and report back if one of them helped!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #278 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 9:02pm

(Edited by Nightowl 12/10/2010 to correct links to Panasonic USB DOS driver versions--added link to Motto Hairu USB Driver (di1000dd.sys))

Below are links to the Panasonic USB DOS driver versions:

v2.15, size=39,093, dated 10/26/2003

v2.20, size=39,179, dated 11/07/2004

v2.27, size=39,729, dated 10/22/2008

Here's the Motto Hairu USB Driver ( di1000dd.sys )

Motto Hairu USB Driver (di1000dd.sys)

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #279 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 7:25pm

It is a WD 1TB Caviar HDD I put in an Eagle e series 3.5" SATA to USB enclosure.

I believe showed up as:
ASPI Manager for USB Mass Storage  V. 2.06
I switched it for the newer version in your link which I believe showed V. 2.20 - however when tried running/using it it gave following error:

DI1000 ASPI DISK Driver Ver 2.00
Available ID = 0
Your program caused a divide overflow error.
If problem persists contact your program vendor.

I tried it again & got same error.

Oddly, when I tried again with my original (V. 2.06??) it usually recognizes ALL my drives. Now it just shows my 2 CD-ROM drives, the A: drive, D: (2nd internal) HHD and the 80GB ext HDD which has always worked w/ it for years.

Not a major issue since at least it does still recognizes one of my ext HDD's but ideally I could get it to also "see correctly" the 1TB ext HHD.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #280 - Dec 10th, 2010 at 10:54am

@
piikea

I have edited my above previous posts reply #277 and 278 to correct incorrect links that were not working!

Quote:
I believe showed up as:
ASPI Manager for USB Mass Storage  V. 2.06

That's the *oldest* version of the Panasonic USB DOS driver that I have seen available in the past.

Quote:
I switched it for the newer version in your link which I believe showed V. 2.20 - however when tried running/using it it gave following error:

DI1000 ASPI DISK Driver Ver 2.00
Available ID = 0
Your program caused a divide overflow error.

You might want to look in your BIOS setup--for USB--does it say *Legacy USB Support* (or something similar to that) *Enabled*!  If *yes*, disable that and try again.  (If you are using USB keyboard and/or USB mouse,or wireless USB mouse/keyboard--these will not work any longer in DOS--and you will not be able to navigate within the Ghost program.  If you can at least hook up a wired keyboard, you can use the *Tab* key and the *Arrow* keys to navigate within the Ghost program.

Or, if you boot from a USB floppy drive--that may not work any longer!)

Results?

IP Logged

piikea
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #281 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 1:18am

I switched to V. 2.27 but got the same error.  I read elsewhere someone w/ a similar situation saying they required aspidisk.sys for their 1 TB ext HDD to be recognized.  I have searched for where to download it unsuccessfully. Many places discuss it but never where to get it!

Trying that (for me) is alot simpler than messing w/ my BIOS which I haven't much experience in doing. Providing I can find the needed driver instead.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #282 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 2:26am

@
piikea

Quote:
they required aspidisk.sys

I've never heard of that driver in relationship to DOS USB external HDD access. 

Do you have any links?

Did a quick search--says it's a Win98se driver to access a SCSI disk?!  Do you have other information?

IP Logged

Prozactive
Gnarly

Reply #283 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 9:57am

piikea wrote on Dec 13th, 2010 at 1:18am:
I switched to V. 2.27 but got the same error.  I read elsewhere someone w/ a similar situation saying they required aspidisk.sys for their 1 TB ext HDD to be recognized.  I have searched for where to download it unsuccessfully. Many places discuss it but never where to get it!

That someone is me.  Smiley I'm a member here too although I haven't posted in a while. I still plan to post my experiences with various DOS drivers on my Ghost boot disk sometime but haven't had the time or energy. Plus there have been additional technical developments. But anyway, I believe a subsequent poster in that other forum answered your question where to get the file, but yes it was the only driver that allowed access to a 1TB external USB HDD. All of the other drivers failed with "divide overflow" being the most common error as I recall.

EDIT: Upon further review, I believe I got the exact same error that piikea cited. Unfortunately I don't have the specific link to get the file but it was from Adaptec. And I came across references somewhere that said it was an alternative to DI1000DD.SYS and NJ32DISK.SYS.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #284 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 10:11am

@
Prozactive

Quote:
I believe a subsequent poster in that other forum answered your question where to get the file

Ah....come on guys (gals?)--a simple link isn't that hard to include!

Quote:
yes it was the only driver that allowed access to a 1TB external USB HDD

Even if you don't have the time/energy to post the details here, is there a thread in a different forum that talks about using this *aspidisk.sys* DOS (?) driver for external USB HDDs?

Link(s)???

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print