Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Send Topic Print
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More! (Read 643313 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!
Reply #45 - Jul 21st, 2005 at 5:36pm

Bjorn

Quote:
Is it possible to use a Win98 startup disk for XP Home?

No--WinXP Home does not work with Win98 DOS  Wink !  But the Win98 startup disk may boot your system to DOS okay.

If you have a floppy drive and boot floppy disk to your liking, most CD burning programs will create a bootable CD by reading the boot floppy and burning it to the CD.

Here's another resource--works with floppy drives as well:

Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #46 - Jul 21st, 2005 at 7:24pm

Okay, It took a while but i managed using nero. I burned a cd with ghost and pq magic on it plus the panasonic usb 2.0 driver.
But, on starting it uses the Caldera Dos (as expected). I pressed F8 to go through it step by step and after saying something like the detection of my usb controllers it stops with HIDEVICE A:\ somethin'.
So, I tried to let it run through the routine all by itself and it seemed that it detected the external HDD drives. Although i could barely see that as i could not stop it via the BREAK button. and then again the system stops.
Any idea on how to walk through the start up routine or what i might do wrong?

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #47 - Jul 21st, 2005 at 7:46pm

Okay some more data:

USB external WD Media center (250GB) with 2 card reader slots. 3 partitions with 1 FAT32 (h:\), NTFS (i:\ and j:\).

CD-Rom on Z:\
Standaard enhanced pci to usb-hostcontroller:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DD&SUBSYS_80A61043&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&EF

compatible id's are:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DD&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DD
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0C0320
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0C03
PCI\VEN_8086
PCI\CC_0C0320
PCI\CC_0C03

twice USB mass storage:
1st id: USB\VID_1058&PID_0400&MI_00\7&2EF3404E&0&0000
1st compatible id:
USB\Class_08&SubClass_06&Prot_50
USB\Class_08&SubClass_06
USB\Class_08

2nd id: USB\VID_1058&PID_0600\050115503B4F
2nd compatible id:
USB\Class_08&SubClass_06
USB\Class_08

hope that helps you and me to find the solution to my dilemma.
cheers,
Bjorn

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #48 - Jul 21st, 2005 at 8:49pm

Quote:
"... USB external WD Media center (250GB) with 2 card reader slots. 3 partitions with 1 FAT32 (h:\), NTFS (i:\ and j:\) ... PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DD&REV_02 ... USB\VID_1058&PID_0400&MI_00 ... USB\VID_1058&PID_0600..."

Based on the case of Piikea's Western Digital external HDD troubles, this looks like another perfect candidate for NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Drive routine - and I would strongly suggest using the v2.20 version
(CLICK HERE)
of Usbaspi.sys.

It looks like the USB 2.0 ports are emanating from the systemboard with the
VID=8086h
USB host controller hardware - and this alone frequently necessitates using the Panasonic drivers with USB external devices whenever the FAT32 file system format is in play - but the
VID=1058h
is not familiar USB device controller hardware.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #49 - Jul 22nd, 2005 at 2:31am

Aye, I used the panasonic 2.20 version but PC simply gets stuck as I described.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #50 - Jul 22nd, 2005 at 3:52am

Bjorn

Quote:
Okay, It took a while but i managed using nero. I burned a cd with ghost and pq magic on it plus the panasonic usb 2.0 driver.

You will have to be more step-by-step detailed in the 'how I did it' in order to see what may be wrong.  It's the little details that usually trip us up.

And, you have to take the time to write down the error messages and report them 'exactly' if you hope we might have a chance at figuring out what's wrong without sitting next to you watching your computer!

I don't know what to do with:

Quote:
it stops with HIDEVICE A:\ somethin'

Maybe, .... try 'somethin'  Wink !

Are you trying to create a bootable CD from a floppy boot disk that works successfully when booting from the floppy drive?

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #51 - Jul 22nd, 2005 at 4:16pm

Hello again,

Okay, sorry about that I guess it all frustrates me so much that I could simply not bear to write details at 2 am....Smiley

What I did was following the manual you referred to earlier. I also put on that disk the Panasonic USB driver 2.20 as described. Below you will find all details on that matter.
I have created the bootable CD using Nero (worked fine).

When I put in the CD I press F8 after I started from CD I get into the step by step routine. When I keep pressing one of the options per step (n,y,r) it goes fine to some point.
Then it ends mostly after the DPMS stuff with:
[Dr-Dos] A:\> and a blinking cursor. I cannot type anything with my cordless keyboard. Neither can I press the break button in order to see whether or not the usb driver recognized my external HDD.
2 questions:
1.) Could it be the keyboard by any chance?
2.) Why do I need the IBMDOS and IBMBIO stuff?Is the command.com not enough?

So, sorry I cannot really give you a specified error message as it at one point simply stops and the next time I restart it stops somewhere else. Unfortunately I do not have a wired keyboard. However, it should work I guess as in the XP recovery console, which also uses DOS stuff the keyboard works. I hope you can help again.

Below you will find some more details on my bootable CD and PC±
1.) Here is my configuration with drives etc.:
Floppy on a:\
internal HDD with XP Home on c:\
and two more partitions on d:\ and e:\ (all are NTFS)
CD-Rom Drive on z:\
Emulated CD on y:\

external WD 250GB with 3 partitions:
h:\ (Fat32 but I want to make it NTFS)
i:\ and j:\ (both are NTFS)

This is my USB external WD Media center (250GB) with 2 card reader slots and I would like to store my ghost image of my internal HDD.

Here are my USB controller details:
Standaard enhanced pci to usb-hostcontroller:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DD&SUBSYS_80A61043&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&EF

compatible id's are:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DD&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DD
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0C0320
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0C03
PCI\VEN_8086
PCI\CC_0C0320
PCI\CC_0C03

twice USB mass storage:
1st id: USB\VID_1058&PID_0400&MI_00\7&2EF3404E&0&0000
1st compatible id:
USB\Class_08&SubClass_06
USB\Class_08

2nd id: USB\VID_1058&PID_0600\050115503B4F
2nd compatible id:
USB\Class_08&SubClass_06
USB\Class_08
----------------------------------------------------------
2.) Now, my autoexec and config. They look like this:
[Autoexec]
@echo off
SET TZ=GHO-01:00
path=z:\;z:\ghost;z:\pqmagic
MOUSE.COM
LH \Mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /l:x /m:16 /v
echo Loading...
CD \GHOST
GHOST.EXE
goto END

[config.sys] / leave behind all the remarks please.
rem :The following line loads WD's universal USB-controller driver
rem :The spaces between the filenames and the parameters are
rem :'/e' forces USB 2.0 only, remove for USB 1.x also

[menu]
menuitem = FROMCD, This computer was started from a GHOST bootable CD

[FROMCD]
[COMMON]
DEVICE = usb\usbaspi.sys /e /v /w
rem CheesyEVICE = usb\aspiohci.sys /int /all
rem CheesyEVICE = usb\aspiuhci.sys /int /all
rem :The following is an aspi mass storage driver for usb-connected HDD's
rem :and compactflash memory cards
DEVICE = usb\di1000dd.sys
DEVICE = oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001
LASTDRIVE = Z
3.) These are the files I have on my bootable cd
a.) All of these reside in the bootable image I created with the manual you gave me
of course autoexec.bat and config.sys
help.bat
command.com
edit.com
format.com
aspi2dos.sys
aspi4dos.sys
aspi8dos.sys
aspi8u2.sys
aspicd.sys
aspiohci.sys
aspiuhci.sys
btcdrom.sys
btdosm.sys
flashpt.sys
di1000dd.sys
io.sys
oakcdrom.sys
usbaspi.sys

mscdex.exe
mscdexnt.exe
attrib.exe
chkdsk.exe
debug.exe
ext.exe
guest.exe
scandisk.exe
format.com
restart.com
sys.com
edit.com
IBMBIO.com
IBMDOS.com
MOUSE.com

Mouse.ini
scandisk.ini
4.) I have added two directories to the disk:
\pqmagic (all partition magic dos files)
\ghost (here is the ghost.exe)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #52 - Jul 22nd, 2005 at 4:56pm

Quote:
"... and a blinking cursor. I cannot type anything with my cordless keyboard. Neither can I press the break button in order to see whether or not the usb driver recognized my external HDD.

2 questions:
1.) Could it be the keyboard by any chance?
2.) Why do I need the IBMDOS and IBMBIO stuff?Is the command.com not enough?

So, sorry I cannot really give you a specified error message as it at one point simply stops and the next time I restart it stops somewhere else. Unfortunately I do not have a wired keyboard. However, it should work I guess as in the XP recovery console, which also uses DOS stuff the keyboard works. I hope you can help again..."

I would be very suspicious of the keyboard, and would certainly try to borrow a conventional model from a friend. Yet, then again, try one more time with this modified line:

/norst

Also, you might consider working from within Windows as illustrated below (the advantage being that, no matter what, you will have a detailed log when you return to Windows):

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11041...

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #53 - Jul 23rd, 2005 at 1:41am

Bjorn

Quote:
What I did was following the manual you referred to earlier. I also put on that disk the Panasonic USB driver 2.20 as described. Below you will find all details on that matter.
I have created the bootable CD using Nero (worked fine).

1.  Looking at the information you posted futher down after this quote from your last post regarding the *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* files, I'm not sure I know what *manual* outline you are following--could you be specific, because I don't recognize the source of the batch files?

2.  Did you create a bootable floppy with PC-DOS OS on it first, and then modify it with the files that you list later in your post--and did you then use that floppy in Nero to create the bootable data CD?

I'm going to use your posting details to try and re-create what you have done to see if I can find any problems and duplicate your issues.  Will post the results later when I'm done.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #54 - Jul 23rd, 2005 at 3:10am

Bjorn

I did not create a boot CD from your information--just a boot floppy disk--and used it for testing--here's the problems I found and the suggested changes that should help:

[config.sys]

[menu]

[FROMCD]
[COMMON]
REM  by NightOwl
DEVICE=usbaspi.sys /e /v

rem EVICE = usb\aspiohci.sys /int /all
rem EVICE = usb\aspiuhci.sys /int /all
REM by NightOwl
 DEVICE = usb\di1000dd.sys
DEVICE=di1000dd.sys

DEVICE = oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001
LASTDRIVE = Z

In the first problem line above, the *usb\usbaspi.sys* is telling config.sys to look for *usbaspi.sys* in the subdirectory *usb*, but you have put *usbaspi.sys* in the 'root directory', and not in a subdirectory.

Also, unless you are booting from a USB floppy drive, and need to unplug it and plug-in a USB CD-ROM drive, the is no need for the */w* switch--which is a 'wait until I plug in the USb CD-ROM drive' switch before continuing to process the rest of the batch file.

The second problem line is the same issue of telling config.sys to look for the driver in a subdirectory.

[autoexec.bat]
@echo off
MOUSE.COM
REM by NightOwl
LH \Mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /l:x /m:16 /v
Mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /l:z /m:16 /v

echo Loading...
Z:

CD \GHOST
GHOST.EXE  
goto END

In your previous post, you said your optical drive is assigned drive letter Z: in WinXP.  You also mention an 'emulated CD-drive' using Y:.  Now, I assume the emulated CD-drive is not loaded when booting to DOS, so the only CD drive in DOS will be the one optical drive.

Based on the 'path=' statement in your autoexec.bat, I'm assuming you wish the drive letter to be Z: in DOS also.  So you have to change the drive letter assignment switch in the 'mscdex.exe' line from 'l:x' to
'l:z'

A minor point, because DOS will ignor it, but the 'LH' (load high) command in front of the 'mscdex.exe' file has no effect unless you load a 'high memory manager' such as *himem.sys* first in config.sys.

And, because the Ghost program is going to be on the data portion of the CD which is accessed in DOS from the Z: drive, you need to change to that drive by using the 'Z:' command before using the 'CD \Ghost' (change directory) command line.

Report back with your progress in resolving your problems.

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #55 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 5:20am

Okay, back from germany from the weekend.
Installed my external HDD on another win98 PC also with the Panasonic driver. Worked great although it cost a lot effort to get there.

And that also gave me a fresh view on my own issues. But first things first:
- I changed the files as you suggested. I saw the flaws with the directories (\usb) also. However, I did not try this CD on my home PC yet as I first wanted to see whether things were caused by my wireless keyboard.

- I tried the CD on a laptop in the weekend and guess what: It recognized my USB drive and even gave the indication on the transfer speed. And all typed commands after the DOS prompt worked out. So I figured out that if you burn a bootable CD with NERO it will use the CALDERA DOS which does obviously not recognize wireless keyboards.
However, although the laptop recognized my external HDD there was no drive letter assignment. I thought that it might be due to the fact that the CD was customized for my own home PC and that's why the drive letters would not match. So I decided to first try again that same disc on my home PC (I did before but then the directories were set wrongly).

- But I was still wondering why the caldera DOS would always be used. I took a look in the NERO directory with the DOSBootimage file
(Nightowl, you suggested to replace the DosBootimage file -
" placed a copy of my boot image file (bootcdp1.ima ) in the 'Nero' subdirectory along with Nero's re-named 'DOSBootimage.old.ima' file.  I then renamed my boot image file (bootcdp1.ima) to 'DosBootimage.ima' .   So, it looks like this now--screen shot."

- that's not I would put it). When you replace it Nero justs grants you (in the 'Select Boot Image' screen) to select from floppy. So, what I did is copying the contents of my Image - the one I will also put as an image to the bootable CD (without the \ghost and \pqmagic folder) to a floppy and just let Nero read it when creating the bootable disc. I am not able to send screen prints so I suggest that you include it in your description at http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/neroexpress6.html.

(Edited above link by NightOwl so it works!)

- After that I let it burn the CD and I put in the CD in my home PC and guess what it recognized the external HDD.
SO< I FINALLY MANAGED!!!!!

- Strange on that matter was, that the drive letters are not set right. my external HDD has drive letter C:\ and I have the Z:\ for my CD drive. So, I still have to figure that out. I also have the issue with the codepage as I need to have the dutch codepage but I have an idea on how to do that.

- So, what remains is the drive letter assignment. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate your help again.

Thanks already for all the help you provided until now. I really appreciate that.

Regards,
Bjorn

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #56 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 10:40am

Just a short update on my progress.....
....well progress regarding gathering of information as I did not quite manage to mount my NTFS drives.

Right now I am using a floppy with the necessary dos files (except the folders pqmagic and ghost). This is just for testing purpose and when that will work I am going to burn my bootable cd.

I used ntfsdos which should very well be able to mount all ntfs drives in read mode. That should do as I want to just read them and back them up to my external FAT32 drive.

So, at the command prompt I type ntfsdos and then it starts mounting. However, after the last drive is mounted I get and error message saying that there is no access to command.com system halted.
This is strange as the command.com just resides on my floppy.

Any ideas??
Greets,
Bjorn

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #57 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 3:32pm

Okay, not really done any visible progress.

My main problem now is:
Basically the only drive that is recognized is the FAT32 partition of my external HDD. All other drives are NTFS and do not have any drive letters.
When I try to use NTFSDOS I get a memory allocation error saying '....could not allocate memory...'. Then it says '...could not find command.com...system halted'. Strange, as the command.com is present and not hidden on the bootable floppy.

Any ideas on that one?

Furthermore, I tried to install the dutch codepage with the syntax:
country=031,850,country.sys
install=mode.com con cp prepare=((850) ega.cpi)
install=mode.com con cp select=850
install=keyb.com nl,,keyboard.sys

With the necessary files keyboard.sys and ega.cpi present on the floppy it should be no problem. But I get an error. rebooting with the other PC now and see what error it is again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1.) [autoexec]
@echo off 
DRFAT32.exe /m:120 >NUL
MOUSE.COM 
Mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /l:z /m:16 /v
echo Loading... 
Z:
CD \GHOST 
GHOST.EXE   
goto END

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2.) [config.sys]

[menu] 

[FROMCD] 
[COMMON] 
DEVICE=drfat32.sys /x
DEVICE=usbaspi.sys /e /v /norst
country=031,850,country.sys
install=mode.com con cp prepare=((850) ega.cpi)
install=mode.com con cp select=850
install=keyb.com nl,,keyboard.sys
DEVICE=di1000dd.sys
DEVICE=oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001 
LASTDRIVE=Z

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #58 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 10:56pm

Bjorn

Sounds like you have made some progress--that's good!

Any of your NTFS partitions will not be seen by the DOS OS--only FAT partitions will be seen and given a drive letter when you boot to DOS.

So if your external drive is the only FAT partition on your system, it will be C:

Ghost has the ability to *see* NTFS partitions in the Ghost DOS interface--but, not by drive letter.  They will be identified as *1:1* for drive 1, partition 1, and *1:2* for drive 1, partition 2, etc., and *2:1* for drive 2, partition 1, etc.  And Ghost can store a Ghost image to a NTFS partition.  But once you exit Ghost back to DOS, you will still not see any NTFS partitions in DOS.

Quote:
So, at the command prompt I type ntfsdos and then it starts mounting. However, after the last drive is mounted I get and error message saying that there is no access to command.com system halted.
This is strange as the command.com just resides on my floppy.

I've not played around with NTFSDOS, so I can't say much from experience with it...but, it is supposed to allow you to boot to DOS and read files on NTFS partitions and copy files from a NTFS partition to a FAT partition.  But you will not be able to write any files to a NTFS partition.

If you want full access to NTFS partitions from a bootable CD, you should consider Bart's PE:  
Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD

Based on what you've reported, I'm hoping that the problem you're reporting is due to a conflict of drive letter assignments--because your external HDD is C: in DOS, and your WinXP main partition is C: in NTFS--NTFSDOS may be  *seeing* two C: drives when it trys to mount the partitions.

To see if that's true:

1.  disconnect your USB HDD before booting and trying to run NTFSDOS--does that allow NTFSDOS to work okay?

2.  Change the *motto hairu* driver line in config.sys from:

DEVICE=di1000dd.sys      , to

DEVICE=di1000dd.sys /dh

The */dh* is a command line switch that tells the *motto hairu* driver to use as it's first drive letter, the letter *h*.  But your two other NTFS partitions on the external USB HDD will still not be seen in DOS and assigned drive letters by DOS.

Does that allow NTFSDOS to run okay with the HDD hooked up?

Quote:
- But I was still wondering why the caldera DOS would always be used. I took a look in the NERO directory with the DOSBootimage file

(Nightowl, you suggested to replace the DosBootimage file -

I continue to be confused by your questions--you seem to be using several different outlines as to how to set up a bootable CD/DVD--and you are mixing and matching the instructions, but you are not changing the information to match the changed combination of DOS boot file command lines.

For instance, you refer to my Guide's instructions 
(Nero's OEM NeroExpress6)
to 'replace the DosBootimage file in NeroExpress v6.xx ... with bootcdp1.ima...' by first re-naming DosBootimage.ima to DosBootimage.old.ima, and then re-naming bootcdp1.ima to DosBootimage.ima.  But you state you only get caldera DOS (aka PC-Dos) each time you try to create a bootable CD.

Did you follow my Guide and create the *bootcdp1.ima* file?  If you did, it does not have *caldera DOS*, but only MS-DOS!

NeroExpress v6.xx's *DosBootimage.ima* uses the *caldera DOS* as it's DOS OS.  So, you must be using NeroExpress's default boot image file.

So, I have to believe you are not actually following any one *guide* or outline from beginning to end--and you are ending up with a final result that fails because it does not have a consistent structure.

Another example--in your latest *autoexe.bat* and *config.sys* that you posted--you now have a new program listed:

Quote:
DRFAT32.exe /m:120 >NUL

DEVICE=drfat32.sys /x

What's the purpose of that program?  Is that interferring with NTFSDOS and *command.com*?

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #59 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 6:22pm

Hello again,

1.) Regarding the codepage everything works fine now.
2.) I saw some directory entries for emm and himem that prevented the right start up. Fixed it and emm works.
3.) Already had the *motto hairu* driver set with parameter /di.
4.) I downloaded ntfspro and that worked fine. However, still got the memory allocation error. However it should be solved with emm working okay now. Just testing on my other machine.
5.) Regarding the Nero issue. I followed again your step by step course at http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/neroexpress6.html.

At some stage I come to this section:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
You are now at the 'Select Boot Image' dialog screen. This is where you find out you do not have the option of selecting any boot image file of your choosing. You only have the option of:

- read a floppy boot disk, or
- use the built-in 'Nero's bootable floppy image.'

The built-in 'Nero's bootable floppy image' will now be our custom boot image file that we created with WinImage and have re-named to 'DOSBootimage.ima' at the beginning of this outline. So:

- Select 'Use standard boot image'
- Select 'English (United State)' for 'Boot Locale'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nero 6.6 only grants me the choice from 1 (!) and that is the option for Read boot disc in drive. But it does not matter really. I have all the files on my floppy as well so I can just let it read the floppy and build the bootable cd from that.
I guess that it has something to do with an internal check for the bootsector for Dr Dos  7 (which is Caldera). I cannot explain otherwise.

Be back in a minute....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Send Topic Print