Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Send Topic Print
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More! (Read 643438 times)
Bjorn

Re: A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!
Reply #60 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 7:00pm

Hmmm, I encountered the following issues:

1.) EMM works fine
2.) When starting PQMagic it says "EMM is running. Available memory is limited to 32 MB."
Any idea on how to set emm in config.sys so that the full memory can be used (I installed emm in order to prevent memory allocation error from ntfspro)?

3.) In order to free some memory I deleted the /m:16 value in the autoexec.bat (for the cd-driver)
4.) There is still no mouse support with my logitech wireless mouse. I am curious why this does not work as I have enabled also the on USB 1.1 controllers who should detect the mouse (that would be the /o /u commands right??)

5.) I located the Drfat32 in the Dr Dos directories at Nero and thought that it might help with drive letters etc. but of course then I did not know that Fat32 partitions are recognized by dos. So I deleted the entry.
6.) Okay, now the ntfsdos or pro issue. I said that ntfsdos gave an error. It does not anymore.
However, drive letters are not set right (all partitions are NTFS right now):

internal drive partition C| I:\ ----> this should become C:\
internal drive partition D| J:\ ----> this should become D:\
internal drive partition E| K:\ ----> this should become E:\

external drive partition 1: L:\ ---> this should become I:\.
external drive partition 2: M:\ ---> this should become J:\
external drive partition 3: N:\ ---> this should become K:\

And here I am stuck. Any ideas on how to change that? And you are also very welcome on the other questions marked yellow.

Well, I need to get some sleep now....this is nagging at me!

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #61 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 10:13pm

Quote:
"... drive letters are not set right (all partitions are NTFS right now):

And here I am stuck..."

Though it may not prove helpful in your predicament, be advised of the trick of giving every HDD partition/logical drive a unique name that reflects both the drive letter in Windows and the file system format, i.e., C: on the Master HDD would be named "C_NTFS", I: on the Slave HDD would be named "I_FAT32".

Then, when running an Integrity Check in Ghost to match the assignments to the respective drives, one would see "C_NTFS" (C:) is assigned "1:1 [C_NTFS] NTFS drive" and "I_FAT32" (I:) is assigned "D: [I_FAT32] Local drive".

In reality, my assignments are shown in the illustration below:

A real-life Integrity Check in Ghost on my Dell Dimension 8300 reveals the following assignments to the respective drives on the Master HDD: "Boot8300" (C:) is assigned "1:2 [Boot8300] NTFS drive"; "F_Drive" (F:) is assigned "1:3 [F_Drive] NTFS drive"; and "G_DRIVE" (G:) is assigned "
C:
[G_DRIVE] Local drive".  The missing "1:1" assignment is hidden because it is a Dell Diagnostic partition that has no drive letter assignment in Windows (the Dell Dimension 8100 has no such partition).  On the Slave HDD, one finds: "H_Drive" (H:) is assigned "2:1 [H_Drive] NTFS drive"; and "I_DRIVE" (I:) is assigned "
D:
[I_DRIVE] Local drive".  Both Windows drive letters D: and E: are assigned to optical drives (CD/DVD).  Take note that names for NTFS drives can be in both upper and lower case, but FAT32 drive names are restricted to upper case.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #62 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 3:19pm

Hello El Pescador,

That would be exactly what I need! But how do I set these drive letters? To me it is not that obvious how to do that.

Anyway, I was wondering about the following:
When I do the backup, I set everything from windows, so the drive letter assignment should not be a problem. However, in the situation that I need to restart in DOS due to a crash in order to set the backup back the drive letters are missing.

Will this pose a problem for Ghost when restoring the image? With other words do the drive letter assignments used in the backup (e.g. windows directory is on the C:\ drive) indicate where to put the files and will the drive letters be automatically restored?

If so, then there is no problem right?

On the DPMI thing, I found out that I need to install a DPMI driver. So I downloaded it and will do so. Report later!

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #63 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 4:03pm

Oh well, me dumbhead! Now I know what you mean.

About my question before:
The reason I ask is that pqmagic only indicates the various partitions of my disks as *.* or like extended etc. Of course I know due to the names of the partitions what drive letter I usually had (the way you did it might be a bit more obvious though).
Anyway, when I restore the backup (I havn't made yet) there are still no drive letters present. When using NTFSPRO e.g. these newly assigned drive letters do not match the original ones. Files that originally resided on e.g. c:\windows need to be restored on c:\windows and as these drive letters are not present how does Ghost know where to restore the files to? It might then as well restore them on my original I:\ drive as this one now has the c:\drive letter assigned. Do you what I mean? Is this an issue?

Now in ghost I get the error:
"Your program caused a divide overflow error...if the problem persists contact ..."
Any clue on this one?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #64 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 2:46am

Bjorn

Based on the drive letter assignment that you are getting with NTFSDOS--it looks like the */di* switch for the *motto hairu* driver forces DOS to start the drive letter assignments at the drive letter I:\--if you remove that switch do you get the correct drive letters?

Are your drive letters F: and G: assigned to your card reader slots in WinXP?  If you put memory cards in the reader before booting to DOS, they would probably also be assigned drive letters by NTFSDOS also.  If the memory card reader and the external HDD partitions are seen in the same order as the drive letters were assigned in WinXP, then they should be in the same order as seen in DOS.

Drive letters in WinXP are assigned and stored in WinXP's registry--so as long as the partition identifiers are kept the same, then WinXP will continue to report those partitions with the same drive letter.

Ghost keeps track of the partitions differently than WinXP--it's based on drive number (as determined by the order seen on the system) and then by partition number on that particular drive.  As long as you do not switch drives to different locations on your HDD controllers, or add HDD's and then restore partitions that were located at a different location when saved, then the drive letters assigned in DOS will have no effect on the restored partition if it's going back to the same place you originally saved it from.

It's if you try to restore partitions to new HDD in new positions on your HDD controllers, that drive letter assignments may not match--this is especially true of your OS partition.

Quote:
2.) When starting PQMagic it says "EMM is running. Available memory is limited to 32 MB."
Any idea on how to set emm in config.sys so that the full memory can be used (I installed emm in order to prevent memory allocation error from ntfspro)?

I use a separate boot disc for PQMagic that does not load EMM--not all DOS programs can be run from a single DOS environment--so, if certain programs need certain memory configurations that are not compatible with other programs, you have to use separate boot discs.

Quote:
4.) There is still no mouse support with my logitech wireless mouse. I am curious why this does not work as I have enabled also the on USB 1.1 controllers who should detect the mouse (that would be the /o /u commands right??)

Actually, the *motto hairu* and Pansonic USB drivers are for *mass storage* USB devices--so it may not mount USB support for a mouse driver!  Does your BIOS have an option to enable *legacey USB support*--that may load USB DOS support for a USB mouse.  But, you might have to consider using a serial mouse for your DOS programs.

Quote:
3.) In order to free some memory I deleted the /m:16 value in the autoexec.bat (for the cd-driver)

I doubt that's an issue--more likely it's other memory conflicts of programs that are not getting along with each other .

Quote:
5.) Regarding the Nero issue. I followed again your step by step course at http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/neroexpress6.html

Nero 6.6 only grants me the choice from 1 (!) and that is the option for Read boot disc in drive.

Did you follow the rest of the guide to create the *bootcdp1.ima* file?

Nero 6.6 may not be the same as NeroExpress6!  In the full Nero program, you may have to enable *expert* settings to use boot image files.

Quote:
That would be exactly what I need! But how do I set these drive letters?

You can change the partition labels in *Disk Management* in WinXP, and PQMagic will allow you to change the partition labels as well.

Another suggestion, make each partition a unique size that's different from the others--record those size numbers and keep them handy when using Ghost!

Quote:
Will this pose a problem for Ghost when restoring the image? With other words do the drive letter assignments used in the backup (e.g. windows directory is on the C:\ drive) indicate where to put the files and will the drive letters be automatically restored?

If you are restoring individual partitions, you have to make sure you are selecting the correct partition on that image for a source, and the correct partition on the correct HDD in order for it to come out right.  If you choose incorrectly, you will over-write the wrong partition--or restore the wrong partition!  That's why labeling the partitions with unique labels can be helpful.

Ghost will not offer you the option of restoring drive letter C: to the *correct* location for you!--you have to tell Ghost where to put things!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #65 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 4:30pm

Okay, it beats me! I give up....

1.) Due to the dpmi error. I downloaded a driver but it simply won't load, always get a restart. Trying the next driver now.

2.) No success on drive letters yet. It is right I indicated that moto hairu should start with I:\ hoping that this would leave space for C, D, E on my internal drive. but it simply does not work that way.
Based on the drive letter assignment that you are getting with NTFSDOS--it looks like the */di* switch for the *motto hairu* driver forces DOS to start the drive letter assignments at the drive letter I:\--if you remove that switch do you get the correct drive letters?

The answer is NO. The first partition on my external drive is seen as the first drive thus C:\.
The rest is:

This is really complicated to me. I might as well try to get an elefant in a shoe box....pfft. Any possibility there that you send me your working image by mail or something. I really cannot spend anymore effort on this thing?

Cheers,
Bjorn

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #66 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 7:31pm

Guess what!
I didn't even dare to hope for it but the inthinkable happened. I changed the Nero Image with the usbaspi.sys and the mottu  hairu driver with the DrDos bootsector and restarted.
HDD was detected (I have been here before). Drive letters are still not right although yesterday night I managed for some reason that is the original drive letters were assigned.
I started ghost and created an image of roughly 600 MB of one drive successfully. No issue here.
Next, I tried to create an image of my C: drive (~17GB) and here when trying to create the image to my external drive it stops responding. Ghost says in the status part on the lower left half of the screen that it is "Adding MFT Table File to image".
Right now I am imaging my C: to another partition of my internal drive with fast compression. That seems to work and if everything went well I will just copy that image to my external drive. In case I need to restore it I guess access will work (I hope).

Data transfer is ~740 MB/min (and still going up)

But there are still a couple of issues:

1.) Why does it stop responding when imaging 17GB to my external drive whereas with 600 MB everything goes well?
2.) Why is it not possible to create two images lets say first d: and then C: drive. I get the earlier reported memory allocation error?
3.) Do I need himem or emm in order to get ghost to work error free? Right now, I disabled EMM as i got this strange error before. However, Now DPMS says that I should load EMM as memory manager.
(Ghost error 0004 double page fault - Symantec was obviously not able to solve that:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-06/msg00176.html
Cheers,
Bjorn

IP Logged

BJorn

Reply #67 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 7:48pm

Okay, max speed is 997 MB/min. Not too bad is it?
created my third image with it. works great.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #68 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 11:28pm

Quote:
"... Next, I tried to create an image of my C: drive (~17GB) and here when trying to create the image to my external drive it stops responding. Ghost says in the status part on the lower left half of the screen that it is "Adding MFT Table File to image"... 1.) Why does it stop responding when imaging 17GB to my external drive whereas with 600 MB everything goes well?.."

How many spanned images are created on the external drive when response stops, and compare the volume of the latest spanned image to the initial image and the image preceding it.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #69 - Jul 30th, 2005 at 6:31pm

no image files then.
I have redone everything and simply imaged the big c:\ drive last just after a fresh restart. That worked well. However, in the end it stopped again after completing 100% and saying that the image was created successfully.

Additionally to the other 3 questions there is a 4th one:
But there are still a couple of issues:
1.) Why does it stop responding when imaging 17GB to my external drive whereas with 600 MB everything goes well?
2.) Why is it not possible to create two images lets say first d: and then C: drive. I get the earlier reported memory allocation error?
3.) Do I need himem or emm in order to get ghost to work error free? Right now, I disabled EMM as i got this strange error before. However, Now DPMS says that I should load EMM as memory manager.
(Ghost error 0004 double page fault - Symantec was obviously not able to solve that:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-06/msg00176.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------ 4.) Image size of a spanned image varies slightly:
initial C is 2097121 kB
span1 is   2097130 kB
span2 is   2097137 kB
span3 is   2097147 kB
span4 is   2097147 kB
span5 is   1457601 kB (for the last one i get the reason but why do the first ones vary in size??)

cheers,
B.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #70 - Jul 30th, 2005 at 6:54pm

Quote:
"... 4.) Image size of a spanned image varies slightly:
initial C is 2097121 kB
span1 is   2097130 kB
span2 is   2097137 kB
span3 is   2097147 kB
span4 is   2097147 kB
span5 is   1457601 kB (for the last one i get the reason but why do the first ones vary in size??)..."

Your sequence here looks perfectly healthy from my viewpoint, and I find the slight variances quite typical.  Verify that the date/time values all make sense, i.e., all on the same day and cover a contiguous span of hours.

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #71 - Jul 30th, 2005 at 7:05pm

Bjorn

To answer a couple of the most recent questions:

Quote:
3.) Do I need himem or emm in order to get ghost to work error free?

As far as I know--No!  I do not load either of those for booting DOS for Ghosting.

Quote:

What specific autoexe.bat and config.sys are you using when you get this error?

Quote:
Now DPMS says that I should load EMM as memory manager.

Why are you loading DPMS?  What purpose does that program perform?

Quote:

What specific autoexec.bat and config.sys files are you using when this happens?

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #72 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 9:09am

Okay, as I have changed the Nero DosBootImage (which is the Caldera Dos) my config.sys and autoexec.bat look different than yours:
REM DEVICE=A:\DRDOS\EMM386.EXE /OFF
DEVICE=A:\DRDOS\DPMS.EXE
HIDEVICE=A:\OAK\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001
SHELL=A:\COMMAND.COM A:\ /E:512 /P:AUTODOS7.BAT
BREAK=OFF
BUFFERS=15
FILES=20
FCBS=4,4
LASTDRIVE=Z
HISTORY=ON,256,ON
HIDEVICE=A:\DRDOS\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1)

GOTO o_alldrv

CLS
TIMEOUT 30
ECHO   1. Enable maximum memory
ECHO   2. Load USB/FW ODD driver
ECHO   3. Load all drivers
ECHO
ECHO Press 1 - 3
SWITCH o_maxmem,o_maxusb,o_alldrv

Shocked_alldrv
SET BOOT_OPT=o_std
HIDEVICE=A:\DRDOS\USBASPI.SYS /e /o /u /v /norst
HIDEVICE=A:\DRDOS\di1000dd.SYS
HIDEVICE=A:\DRDOS\SETVER.EXE
GOTO o_std

Shocked_maxusb
HIDEVICE=A:\DRDOS\USBASPI.SYS /e /o /u /v /norst
HIDEVICE=A:\DRDOS\di1000dd.SYS

Shocked_maxmem
SET BOOT_OPT=o_maxmem

Shocked_std
COUNTRY=001,,A:\DRDOS\COUNTRY.SYS
SET CODE_PAGE=437
SET KEYB_LO=US+

DOS=HIGH,UMB

What does DPMS do? What it exactly does I do not know but it has obviously to do with handling and assigning memory resources. It is like DPMI which Ghosts asked for earlier when no memory handler was assigned and obviously you need it for NWCache.
Actually, I did not put the entry there but I am happy that Ghost at least works.

My autoexec.bat:
@ECHO Off
PATH A:\DRDOS;A:\NR;A:\

GOTO %BOOT_OPT%

Shocked_std
REM LH FAT32
REM LH NTFSREAD

Shocked_maxmem
LH A:\DRDOS\nwcdex /D:MSCD001 /l:z /v
MODE CON CP PREP=((%CODE_PAGE%) A:\DRDOS\EGA.CPI)
MODE CON CP SELECT=%CODE_PAGE%

KEYB %KEYB_LO%
VERIFY OFF
PROMPT [DR-DOS] $P$G
SET DRDOSCFG=A:\DRDOS
NLSFUNC A:\DRDOS\COUNTRY.SYS
CHCP %CODE_PAGE%
NWCACHE 7670 1024 /LEND=ON /DELAY=OFF
VER /R

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #73 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 11:42am

Bjorn

Quote:
The DPMS standard (Display Power Management Signaling) was developed to extend the useful life of PC monitors as well as to conserve the relatively high amount of energy used by monitors when not required.

Quote:
DOS Protected Mode Interface (DPMI)

Created for Windows version 3.0, DPMI is an industry standard for an interface that allows DOS applications to access extended memory of the 80286-, 80386-, and 80486-based PC architecture while maintaining system protection.

Why would you want those programs using up DOS memory to run a DOS utility program such as Ghost?

Looking at your config.sys and autoexec.bat, you're loading so much **** (
junk
?!  Wink ), you are no longer dealing with a Ghost problem--you are troubleshooting DOS memory management problems and conflicts.

I wish you well  Wink .

IP Logged

Bjorn

Reply #74 - Aug 5th, 2005 at 6:04pm

Hah,

Finally I have managed....not with Nero though but with Roxio.
All issues I dealt with were obviously caused by the Caldera-Dos.
Now, that I have created a MS-DOS bootable CD everything works just fine!!

Thanks guys!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Send Topic Print