Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Error on Restore (Read 23519 times)
leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Error on Restore
Sep 20th, 2004 at 6:17pm

While attempting to restore and unverified image file the Ghost program stopped and displayed this message:

An internal incosistency has been detected.
Could not fit translated attributes into buffer size.

A Google search on the terms, 25003 ghost norton, turned up one good hit but didn't solve the problem.

Can anyone help with this error? Will provide system specs if necessary.

IP Logged

Poncho

Re: Error on Restore
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 7:08pm

Didn't see your error listed here

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2000032312244525&src=n

Which version of Ghost are you using?

IP Logged

lemuel

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 7:11pm

Restore from an image stored on hard drive or CD/DVD? Using the Windows interface or Ghost boot floppy?

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 10:04pm

Quote:
Didn't see your error listed here

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2000032312244525&src=n

Which version of Ghost are you using?

Do a google search on, 25003 ghost norton. Using Ghost 2003.

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 10:05pm

Quote:
Restore from an image stored on hard drive or CD/DVD? Using the Windows interface or Ghost boot floppy?

Restore from an image file on anohter drive.

Using Ghost boot floppyn and Ghost.exe on a floppy.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 11:39pm

leftyx

So you checked out everything mentioned in this FAQ and none of it applies?

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1998082411252125?

Did you try this from the above source:

Quote:
You can also run Ghost with the -NTC- switch. The command line for this is:

Ghost.exe -ntc-

Have you tried an integrity check of the image to see if Ghost says it's a good image?

Have you tried the restore process again?  Same error occur again?  Sometimes you get a random error and the next time everything's okay.

Which Ghost boot floppy are you using?

Once I was getting an error that didn't make any sense--was using the PC-DOS boot floppy and had been for some time without problems, but suddenly a persistent error.  Switched to MS-DOS boot floppy and everything worked fine.  Tried the PC-DOS boot floppy again--now everthing was fine again with it too!  Worth a try?

Boot up Ghost again, quit the program and at the DOS-prompt type 'Ghost /ver' without the quote marks--what build do you have?  Did you create the image with the same version or build of Ghost or have you updated builds since the image was created, or have you upgraded from an earlier version, i.e. Ghost 2002 to Ghost 2003 since the image was created?  Sometimes images from one version are not handled well by another version or build of Ghost.

Was the image file created using the same boot floppy that you're using to try the restore?

Note:  If you create boot floppies using the Boot Wizard when you first install Ghost, and then do an update--you will still have the old build on the floppies, and the new build on your hard drive.  You have to re-create your boot floppies if you want them to have the most up to date build.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 5:42pm

NightOwl wrote on Sep 20th, 2004 at 11:39pm:
leftyx

So you checked out everything mentioned in this FAQ and none of it applies?

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1998082411252125?

Specifically I tested with the -ntc- and the Restore still crashed.

Did you try this from the above source:

See above.

Have you tried an integrity check of the image to see if Ghost says it's a good image?

No, not really. I got out  of the habit of doing integrity checks and now that the PC is hosed I can't really check it anyway there is more...

Have you tried the restore process again?  Same error occur again?  Sometimes you get a random error and the next time everything's okay.

Same error each time.

Which Ghost boot floppy are you using?

I used the floppy for booting with PC-DOS. It seems to boot okay and Ghost starts restoring but always fails witht the same error.

Once I was getting an error that didn't make any sense--was using the PC-DOS boot floppy and had been for some time without problems, but suddenly a persistent error.  Switched to MS-DOS boot floppy and everything worked fine.  Tried the PC-DOS boot floppy again--now everthing was fine again with it too!  Worth a try?

Interesting.

Boot up Ghost again, quit the program and at the DOS-prompt type 'Ghost /ver' without the quote marks--what build do you have?  Did you create the image with the same version or build of Ghost or have you updated builds since the image was created, or have you upgraded from an earlier version, i.e. Ghost 2002 to Ghost 2003 since the image was created?  Sometimes images from one version are not handled well by another version or build of Ghost.

I think it's the same build since I never updated it.

Was the image file created using the same boot floppy that you're using to try the restore?

I really don't remember but that's a good point.

Note:  If you create boot floppies using the Boot Wizard when you first install Ghost, and then do an update--you will still have the old build on the floppies, and the new build on your hard drive.  You have to re-create your boot floppies if you want them to have the most up to date build.

Since you have all been so kind and helpful I want to tell you what happened.

I took my PC to a repair shop when it wouldn't stop crashing after booting up. The shop attempted to Restore using Ghost but got that error message I told about. Since then they installed a new version of Windows XP (I couldn't come up with my disks so I had to purchase a new version of XP.) They installed XP and put Ghost on the new XP. Somehow they were able to access the image and using Image Explorer are going ot copy all the data back onto the newly installed Window XP C drive. The image files are on another hdd.
So that's the story. It's not pretty but it's the best I could do. I do plan to continue using the hdd to store Ghost images of the other 2 hdd. 
I do plan on using Ghost again. I'm not sure what I'll do about the files restored by Image Explorer. I'll probably just reinstall the programs and salvage what data I can from the subdirs.
Thanks again for the help and encouragement.

LeftyX

IP Logged

Pepe

Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 6:58pm

I too was curious about answers to the questions NightOwl asked in his last post, such as "Have you performed an integrity check on the image"?

Anyway, sounds like you got lucky.  Smiley

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2004 at 2:51pm

Sorry haven't responded earlier.

Have done the integrity check. It failed twice in a row.

Would still like to do a ghost backup on the new C:\ drive. The repair shop put a new version  of WinXP Home on the C:\ drive. Also they put the files saved from the old drive into a subdir called OldPC, on the C:\ drive. I'd like to make a backup of new new C:\drive with the newly installed WinXP. I tried copying the OldPC subdir to the D:\ drive but Explorer keeps quitting with an error message. I'd like to get the OldPC subdir off the C:\ drive before I do a ghost backup of the C:\.
If I make a ghost backup of the C:\ with the OldPC subdir can the OldPC subdir be removed with the Ghost Explorer? That way there will be a backup of the C:\ with just the WinXP install.

My repair shop tells me the 300 watt power supply isn't enough and wants to install a 500 watt power supplyl.
Wonder if that will help the constant closing of Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer as well as the automatic rebooting the PC does a lot now.

LeftyX

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2004 at 9:02pm

leftyx

Could just leave the 'OldPC' directory on the image and just delete it if you ever restore it--of course--you have a larger image to record.

Can you move the 'OldPC' directory in small pieces instead of trying to do it all at once?

What's the error message?

Quote:
Wonder if that will help the constant closing of Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer as well as the automatic rebooting the PC does a lot now.

What changed so that the PC now reboots automatically a lot 'now'?  I assume it did not do that before 'whatever' changed.

Too small a power supply can cause irratic behavior.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2004 at 10:44pm

Quote:
Could just leave the 'OldPC' directory on the image and just delete it if you ever restore it--of course--you have a larger image to record.

Yes, thats a problem...the Oldpc dir is about  10gb and I'm running out of space to copy to.

Quote:
Can you move the 'OldPC' directory in small pieces instead of trying to do it all at once?

The problem is that one file, my mp3s subdir is  about  9gb and it always craps out in the middel of that file.

Quote:
What's the error message?

Not sure the exact wording but it's something like " Windows Explorer has an error. It will now close".  Then it closes automatically.

Quote:
What changed so that the PC now reboots automatically a lot 'now'?  I assume it did not do that before 'whatever' changed.

I know they made some BIOS changes but generally they are using less aggressive settings than it was before.

Quote:
Too small a power supply can cause irratic behavior.

Yes, I'm having a 500 watt power supply installed tomorrow. Also I'll ask them if the BIOS changes are all right. After that I don't know what I'll do if the pc keeps crashing and closing programs.

Thaniks for the help. But right now it's a little discouraging watching the pc auto-reboot and close programs automatically. But I'll make sure the repair shop knows I'm still having trouble and see if they'll fix them.

Leftyx

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 3:10am

leftyx

Quote:
I know they made some BIOS changes but generally they are using less aggressive settings than it was before.

You mean the problem did not occur until 'the repair shop' installed the new version of XP and made some BIOS setting changes for you?  Hmmm...I wouldn't be too happy about that.  That does not sound like a power supply issue if it's still the same motherboard and components and it was fine before!

Quote:
After that I don't know what I'll do if the pc keeps crashing and closing programs.

Find a new repair shop would be my first guess  Wink .

Quote:
The problem is that one file, my mp3s subdir is  about  9gb and it always craps out in the middel of that file.

So--try to move only some of the mp3 files at a time rather than try the whole sub-directory at once--see if that helps.

IP Logged

NJM
N00b

Scotland, UK

Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2004 at 5:34am

leftyx wrote on Sep 26th, 2004 at 10:44pm:

Yes, thats a problem...the Oldpc dir is about  10gb and I'm running out of space to copy to.

The problem is that one file, my mp3s subdir is  about  9gb and it always craps out in the middel of that file.

Leftyx

If all you want to do is to copy the OldPc directory elswhere then delete it prior to using Ghost, but it fails half way through...... Have a look at the topic Any utility for data transfer to see if the info/links there help you as it seems to have helped xyz

cliff_the_kilt  
IP Logged

leftyx
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 7:07pm

Rad, typed in a long long explanation but lost all the text when posting. Anyway I got most all my data back and have found the problem was a stick of RAM I bought (and tested) right before all this started.
My pc is a disaster area, but the disaster is over and all that is left is the cleanup.

Leftyx

IP Logged

fruor
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 8:47pm

---- Solution -----

ok i don't know if it works with corrupted images, but as this is the first google entry on the error, here's my situation:

1) made image with ghost 8.0 - everything fine
2) started integrity check of that image - everything fine
3) tried to restore the image to the computer - FAIL
An internal incosistency has been detected.
Could not fit translated attributes into buffer size.

so after miles, millions and years i found out:
!!!!! Ghost 8.2 restored the whole image !!!!!

seems to be a bug in the widely spread ghost 8.0
ghost 8.2 is included in the (bootable) version of Ghost 10

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print