Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 2003 3 CD images to a 1 DVD+R (Read 9585 times)
Brock114

Norton Ghost 2003 3 CD images to a 1 DVD+R
Oct 3rd, 2004 at 3:02pm

Hi all,

Here is my dilema.  I have a Compaq notebook that does not have a floppy drive.  It does however, have a cdrw/dvd rom combo.
I used Norton Ghost 2003 to make a 3 disc spanned volume set.  It works fine but I want to put all three image files on a DVD. (1 disc instead of 3 for traveling) I have a DVD burner in another networked computer.
I tried making a ghost.bat file and copying ghost.exe to a bootable dvd using Nero. (As well as the three image files)
It boots to Dos and starts ghost fine, gets to 75% when it should ask for the second spanned disc and causes and error and stops.
So, I guess my question is how to copy these three image files to a dvd and have it restore my image properly ....

Thanks in advance

IP Logged

Spencer

Re: Norton Ghost 2003 3 CD images to a 1 DVD+R
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2004 at 7:25pm

This should be simple sidc burnong 101. Forget the batch file and copy the Ghost CDs to the drive on the network computer. Then launch Nero and add the files from there.

IP Logged

Brock114

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 8:12pm

Doesn't work....  The first image recovers, but like I said in my original post, when the second image should be prompted for, Ghost returns an error, 1622 I think.
I tried making a bootable DVD with ghost.exe on it; and if it would ask for the second image as when I recover the original 3 cd disk span okay, but it errors??

IP Logged

Gunther

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 9:05pm

I would copy the contents of all 3 discs to the hard drive in the computer that has the DVD burners along with the contents of a Ghost boot flopyy. Then use Nero to burn everything to DVD. Is this what you are doing?

You should never be launching the Ghost program to do this. All Nero.

IP Logged

Brock114

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 9:14pm

Okay, so make a Ghost boot floppy, and copy all the files to a dvd along with the three image files.  Do I use Nero to make the DVD bootable?
Also, which bootable ghost disk do I use, a standard disc or other?

Thanks boys

IP Logged

Jon

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 5:15pm

If you plan to boot a DVD disc, I would use Ghost wizard option for "CD/DVD Startup Disk for Ghost". Tha makes sense, no?

If the Ghost boot files are on the floppy, the DVD disc should be bootable, so you shouldn't need to tell Nero to make it bootable, which tells Nero to add bootable files. But check it and make sure it works.

IP Logged

Brock114

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 11:30pm

Doesn't work.  I made a boot disk from Ghost 2003 and made a straight across data DVD disc with nero.  Transfering the files from the boot disc just as Ghost 2003 made it along with the image files. However I didn't make it bootable thru Nero 6.  I set my Bios to boot from CD/DVD 1st.  It didn't boot from the DVD.

Any suggestions now?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 2:20am

Brock114

Quote:
I used Norton Ghost 2003 to make a 3 disc spanned volume set.  It works fine but I want to put all three image files on a DVD.

When you say 'it works fine', do you mean you have used the 3 disc spanned volume set to boot Ghost (did you make the CD set 'bootable'?), and have done an integrity check and Ghost says the spanned set passes the integrity check--right?

Did you use the 'Windows' interface for Ghost to create the 3 CD disc spanned volume set image?  Have you tried using the 'Windows' interface to do the 'integrity check' or a 'restore' from the three files of the image set copied to the DVD?  In the 'Advanced settings....', you may need to select the 'CD Drivers' tab, and check 'Assign drive letters to CD/DVD drives' option if you're doing things from the Windows interface for Ghost.

What OS are you using?  Win9x, WinXP?

What file system are you using?   Fat32, NTFS?

I think 'Jon' was right--and wrong, probably:

Based on a number of posts in this forum and elsewhere, it appears that for certain CD/DVD drives, Ghost can 'write' to the optical drive without assigning a drive letter, but to read the image file(s) for an integrity check or restore operation, Ghost needs a drive letter assigned to the optical drive.  And this seems to be especially true if image files are copied to an optical media from some other source rather than being written directly by Ghost to the optical media in the first place.

As Jon said, you may want to use the 'CD/DVD Startup Disk for Ghost' boot disk, but you want Nero to make the DVD bootable--but the 'CD/DVD Startup Disk for Ghost' is a two floppy disk set, and you will not be able to use a two floppy disk set if Nero works the same as Roxio's Easy CD Creator v5.xx.  I do not have Nero, but I think it operates very similarly to Easy CD Creator.  So, if you want to make the DVD bootable without using a floppy dirve, and the 'Windows' interface above did not work:

Try this:

In Roxio, I open the program, click on 'File' menu option, 'New CD Project', 'Bootable CD'.

In the 'Choose Type of Bootable CD' I selected 'Floppy Disk Emulation (1.44 MB)' and selected 'Generate Image from Floppy.  Please insert a bootable floppy disk in drive A and click OK.'

Insert a Win98se or WinME system boot floppy (these have CD/DVD ROM drivers that assign drive letters to the optical drives and are a single boot floppy--not a two disk boot floppy set) and the program will read the bootable floppy and added 'bootcat.bin' and 'bootimg.bin' to the lower screen where the files to be burned to the CD are listed.

Then add 'ghost.exe' to the root directory of the DVD to be burned, and the three image files to be added the the DVD.

Burn the DVD.

Now boot the DVD.  You should end up at an A:\ prompt.  Do a 'change drive' command to the drive letter assigned to the optical drive and type 'ghost' and you should have ghost loaded.  The optical drive letter should be listed as a source drive and the ghost image file should be selectable to do an integrity check.

To summarize:

1.  Does the 3 disk CD image set pass the integrity check?

2.  Can you use the Ghost Windows interface on the laptop to access and use the three image files burned to the non-bootable DVD--with or without Ghost assigning a drive letter to the optical drive?

3.  Can you make a bootable DVD using Nero with a boot disk that assigns a drive letter to the optical drive and now successfully access the three image files burned to the DVD?

Did it work?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

jtg2
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 4:53am

if you burn the image directly to the dvd drive...it will automatically make the dvd bootable...i too have tried to make a bootable dvd/cd using several methods and have as yet been unsuccessful...because when you add drivers to the bootable floppy you have to make a second floppy with the ghost executable...

by default...when you burn an image directly to cd or dvd it makes teh first dvd/cd bootable...if'n anyone else comes up with a solution please let me know...

proximo sed non fumigare&&(close but no cigar)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 9:08pm

jtg2

Quote:
i too have tried to make a bootable dvd/cd using several methods and have as yet been unsuccessful...

if'n anyone else comes up with a solution please let me know...  

I'm not sure exactly what 'solution' you are looking for.

Are you able to make a bootable CD/DVD if you have a single floppy boot disk?

What exactly do you want to do that you cant do?

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brock114

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 8:58pm

To recap, I have a Compaq notebook that DOES NOT have a floppy drive.  It does however, have a cdrw/dvd rom combo.
I used Norton Ghost 2003 to make a 3 disc spanned volume set. The recovery of the hard drive image FROM the 3 disc spanned set works great, but I want to put all three image files on a DVD. (1 DVD instead of 3 CD disc' for traveling)
   I have a DVD burner in another networked computer that I can transfer these three image files to. 
  Now, how do I set up the 1 DVD disc to recover from a "boot from CD/DVD" bios setting?
I mean, I want to be able to put in this 1 DVD disc and recover my notebook config that Ghost spanned on a 3 CDR spanned set......
I hope I am describing what I want to do so you can all understand, it is hard.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #11 - Oct 15th, 2004 at 12:56am

Brock114

Go'in to have to help me out here, Brock114--what part(s) of my reply #7 above did you not understand?

There's two different ways in that response that will allow you to access those three files on a DVD in a system without a floppy drive:

1.  Use the Windows Ghost interface to access the files on the DVD.

or:

Quote:
Now, how do I set up the 1 DVD disc to recover from a "boot from CD/DVD" bios setting?

2.  If you want the DVD to be bootable, follow the equivalent steps in Nero as I outlined for using Roxio.

If the above two options do not meet your needs, explain why and what you're trying to accomplish that's different.

If you want the DVD to act exactly like the 3 CD image set, you would have to burn the image directly by Ghost to the DVD--not transferred or copied to the DVD.  You may be able to set up a network connection by which you burn from the laptop without the floppy to the other computer with the DVD burner over the network.  If you do that, then the DVD should be bootable and Ghost should be able to read however many image files are on the DVD that are related to that particular image set creation.

Another possibility--if your three image files will fit in a single file size that is less than 2 GB's, you could try using Ghost Explorer to combine the three images into a single file.  Then do what you did as outlined in your first post, and maybe the single file will be readable.  I've not tried that so I do not know if it would actually work.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print