Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost fails to copy Win XP disk (Read 7672 times)
gtreible
Ex Member

Ghost fails to copy Win XP disk
Oct 28th, 2004 at 9:29am

I have a Toshiba laptop with a 30G disk which is now about full.  I bought a 60G disk and would like to copy everything on the 30 to the 60.  I'm running Win XP Pro SP2, and Ghost 9.0.  So far every time I copy the disk, I can't boot off the new disk.  XP tries to boot, I get the message "loading your settings", then the background turns grey and it says it's closing my network connections.  After a bit the background turns blue again and it's back to loading my settings.  It appears like it will do this forever.  When I do the copy, I have it check the source and destination disks, I did not copy the MFT, although I think I tried that at one point and it made no difference.

I'm a little bummed since I bought Ghost just for this task.  I hope there's something I'm doing wrong (it would be the first time this month Smiley

Gary

IP Logged

Banacek

Re: Ghost fails to copy Win XP disk
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 12:42pm

what interface did you use to clone the drive? usb? firewire?

did it verify okay?

did windows want to re-activate?

ghost 9 = drive image 7, but also contains ghost 2003. . did you use the drive image version?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 1:17pm

gtreible

Quote:
So far every time I copy the disk, I can't boot off the new disk.

Need more information as to the step-by-step sequence of events that you are using--Ghost (any version) has multiple options and methods for 'copying', but they do not all result in the same outcome.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

gtreible
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 3:53pm

OK, here's what I did.  From the Ghost interface (in "basic view") there are several clickable icons.  The one closest to the bottom says  "copy one drive to another".  That's what I'm picking.  It even says "usefull for copying a drive to a larger disk".  Seems like the right choice.

It then starts a wizard, which asks for the source, the destination, and some copy controls.  I tell it I want the source checked for errors, the destination checked for errors, and the new disk should be bootable.  I do not check disable smart copy, or copy MFT (tried that once and made no difference).

Ghost reports the copy operation is successful when done, although the progress bar does seem to leap from about 66% to 100% when it decides it's finished.

I have done this two different ways on two different computers.  First I tried it on my laptop using a USB connected drive interface.  Thinking that was the problem,  I did it again on my basement computer where both drives were connected to their own IDE card.  The result was exactly the same each time.

What XP does when I boot from the copy is this....

It starts up with the XP logo on black background with the progress bar moving left to right.  After a normal period, the screen changes to light blue, and the cursor appears.  Still normal for my computer.  Then I get a small dialog telling me Windows is applying my setings.  Still normal.  Then the backgroung changes to light grey, and the dialog changes to one that says it's closing my network connections. Not normal.  After a few seconds, the screen turns light blue again, and a bit later the dialog appears telling me it's applying my settings.  It will now repeat this cycle apparently for ever.

As an aside, another board I came across suggests turning off system restore during the copy.  I'll try that tonight.

Gary

IP Logged

T-bone

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 4:10pm

Try using a Ghost boot floppy.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 7:04pm

gtreible

Looks like Ghost 9.0 is going to have a whole new set of problems to troubleshoot  Wink .  I've seen posts in the past that DriveImage does it's backing up and restoring from within the OS rather than rebooting the system to DOS like Ghost has always done in the past to be sure the system is not dynamically changing while trying to create the Ghost image.  That's probably why the other forum suggested turning off the 'system restore' function.

I have no experience with Ghost 9.0, so I cant help from experince--but I hear that Ghost 2003 is included with Ghost 9.0, so you might try the 2003 version to see if it solves the problem.

T-bone--does Ghost 9.0 offer the boot disk options and can you boot to DOS to do the Ghosting?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 8:16pm

Quote:
... As an aside, another board I came across suggests turning off system restore during the copy.  I'll try that tonight.

gtreible

Roxio GoBack Personal Edition 3 (included in the Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional suite) is a beefed-up analog to the WIN Me/WIN XP 'System Restore' - and it is absolute poison to Norton Ghost 2003.  It does not have to be uninstalled to perform Ghost operations - but it does have to be disabled - which results in a complete purging of all associated backup files and a cessation of dynamic changes in the system.

Observing the following order, my personal approach in preparing for a Ghost BackUp is to: (1) ensure that I have the latest updates throughout my entire computer; (2) delete all cookies and Temporary Internet Files (including offline content); (2) empty the Waste Basket; and (3) performing a full optimization and defragmentation of the partition to be backed up.

El Pescador

IP Logged

garytreible

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 11:28am

Issue solved (sorta).  The kind people at the local CyberWarehouse loaned me a copy of Ghost 2003 (DOS boot disk).  It worked on the first try, and whoever mentioned settings, it has way more then Ghost 9.0.

In short, I don't recommend Ghost 9.

Gary

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 6:54pm

Good (but worrying) to know that Ghost 9.0 still needs some development.
This evening, I used Ghost 2003 to clone a 38 GB HP Pavillion HDD to a 19 GB WD that I had laying disused. The purpose was to make a backup before trying to install XP-pro from square one. The Pavilion had two partitions, C: for system and D: for recovery but guess what ...... Lips Sealed ...... the recovery partition was at the front of the HDD ...... "#!&%¤" ...... !

Anyway, the old WD booted right up when I tested it!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print