Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Image file not created with Norton Ghost (error) (Read 7095 times)
PetitElfeVert
Ex Member

Image file not created with Norton Ghost (error)
Nov 2nd, 2004 at 1:49pm

As we always did with windows 2001, for all our production computer, we boot them on Boot CD, and create a Ghost from the C:\ drive to the second partition. We name it after the computer name, like C253BDL2.gho . As it takes just 300 to 700 Mb, it doesn't span. Thos computer don't have CD burner.

Then we boot back to windows, and copy the ghost file to our burner workstation. We burn a CD. In case of PC crash, we taker a replacement one, boot with Ghost Boot Disk, and restore partition from file...   Actually we DID so, with Ghost 2001! With Ghost 2003, it doesn't work: when I select the CD/DVD reader drive, it says always "Image file not created with Norton Ghost".

It's not even that there is corruption, but it seems it refuses to list what is on the CD, and simply expects a special format or standard name, as if only accepting CDs directly burnt by Ghost. And not a Ghost copy first saved on another partition, with custom name, and then burnt.

If I take back the Ghost 2001 boot CD, it all works fine. Should I really always create Ghost files with Boot CD Ghost 2003, so that I can write on NTFS drive. And restore with Boot CD Ghost 2001? I don't know for sure that 2003 images will always be compatibly restored by 2001 boot disk...

What can I do? I have nearly 60 machines in production, all with a Ghost CD for disaster recovery. It feels bad for me to work with one leg on each version...

On the link below the mention this error message, but I don't think that it really is responsible for it, as this is an IDE drive, accessible from DOS, before Ghost is launched. And accessible from DOS, as I did boot from this drive!
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2002101011320025

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Image file not created with Norton Ghost (erro
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 2:37pm

PetitElfeVert

Ghost 2003's std boot disk will only recognize Ghost images on a CD if it burned the image directly to the CD.

Use the Norton Ghost Wizard to create the 'CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost'.  That adds 'mscdex.exe' to the boot sequence which apparently is needed if Ghost did not directly create the CD/DVD image.

If you check your old Ghost 2001 boot disk, I'll bet it has that as part of it's boot sequence.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

PetitElfeVert
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 3:25pm

Your answer is "If  Ghost 2003's std boot disk will only recognize Ghost images on a CD if it burned the image directly to the CD.".

You confirm my asumptions. The rest of the answer can't help me, because if you read my problem, I'll never burn Ghost directly to the CD.

I did create a boot disk with 'CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost'. I noticed the problem with this disk.

What I'd really need is to know if there is a "hack", a trick or a way to make Ghost 2003 as 'clerver' as Ghost 2001, because as of now, it doesn't allow me to work.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2004 at 3:46pm

PetitElfeVert

Quote:
I did create a boot disk with 'CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost'. I noticed the problem with this disk.

Interesting....that has worked for everyone else that I know of, including me.

That was a two-disk boot disk set, wasn't it?

Do you see 'mscdex.exe' being loaded and properly initialized?

Have you tried both PC-DOS and MS-DOS as the base OS?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

BATboy
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 11:51pm

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that Norton Ghost is a very inconsistent product, with options that (apparently) work in some versions, but then don't work in later versions and so on.  In the latest release of the 2003 version (there are at least two that I know of) for example, the -FNF and -BFC switches just don't work.  In the case of -FNF, when you're trying to automate restore to a clean /new disk, it's a right PITA!  And in the earlier 2003 release, Ghost knows how to successully backup a Linux drive, but it doesn't restore it to a bootable state.  But if you use the same Ghost image, and restore it with the later 2003 release, it does work...  As they say, Go Figure!  (Actually, Symantec admits this in the documentation.)

I'm also having trouble with the -afile and -dfile switches...

It would certainly be nice if, once an option or a switch has been introduced and defined, they stick to it.

In your case, you'd think they would have made sure it was back-compatible with "its own" existing images, at least!

I share your frustration, and suggest you complain to Symantec, though it's probably a complete waste of time....

IP Logged

BATboy
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 7:27pm

I found this link, which directly claims to answer the question...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999080311262725?Open&src=&...

Cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print